Another surprise foal!

Spring Feather

Visit site
If this helps any, here is one of my foals on the morning after she was born. She is DNAd black, and comes from two black parents.

DSCN9699-Copy.jpg

And this is the same filly at 2 months old. Once she reaches 4 to 5 months old she will go back to looking black again.

DSCN9744.jpg

caitlin95uk

Visit site
If this helps any, here is one of my foals on the morning after she was born. She is DNAd black, and comes from two black parents.

DSCN9699-Copy.jpg

And this is the same filly at 2 months old. Once she reaches 4 to 5 months old she will go back to looking black again.

DSCN9744.jpg

Oh I see! I never realised that happened, perhaps that's what will happen to whisper then! Also what long legs she has!!

windand rain

Visit site
he is lovely as to height I would guess at about 13.2/3 as his legs are definitely shorter than mums and they dont grow much
He looks black to me too

legaldancer

Visit site
That's bad luck. As a blanket spot he would be heterozygous for LP so theoretically each foal would have had a 50% chance of inheriting it.

Sorry for butting in OP but I was interested in what Faracat had to say above. The stallion was by Rivaz Limerick the Apaloosa out of a dark bay mare, so only half Apaloosa, but blanket spotted. I had expected to see spotted foals but the five or so he sired were all solid. The foals would only have been a quarter Appy, so would that affect their chances of inheriting colour?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
what a lovely surprise and he looks very well esprecially as no one knew he was coming, the mare looks good too...hho ers are doing well with their little surprises and i love his name

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Sorry for butting in OP but I was interested in what Faracat had to say above. The stallion was by Rivaz Limerick the Apaloosa out of a dark bay mare, so only half Apaloosa, but blanket spotted. I had expected to see spotted foals but the five or so he sired were all solid. The foals would only have been a quarter Appy, so would that affect their chances of inheriting colour?

Being 25% appy wouldn't make them less likely to inherit LP from their sire, as he only had one copy of the gene each foal had a 50% chance of inheriting it from him.

Think of how Pintabians are 99% or more, pure arab blood but with the tobiano gene. Tobiano would have been introduced several generations ago in their pedigrees.

caitlin95uk

Visit site
Thanks again all, he does look well. Vet said she was a bit overweight when in foal so when foal was born looked quite nice.
No worries about the colouring questions I'm just as interested.
13.2/3hh is a bit small for the what the owners were hoping but I'm happy to have him :D ;)

caitlin95uk

Visit site
Just an small update.
Most of you were right, his lighter coat is now coming out and he's going black!

1355ea77854466530dbc383dd9873511.jpg

As he's getting older, he's eating grass so it's much more difficult to get nice photos of him, but here's a few. He is now almost 3 months old.

22fb4fc19f64112af5149d9f769fa4bf.jpg

91ae8aa68a9e5db5aadae1769f2f6b5c.jpg

5c217064bd5ecb1d99e794a519f44a23.jpg

Had some mixed opinions of what his height will be, will just have to wait and see!

Last edited:

Queenbee

Visit site
LJR... Are you the LJR who fed me barbecue food at royal Cornwall show when I was dead on my feet from bathing Ben my coloured?

P.s. op... Absolutely gorgeous foalie :)

Clodagh

Visit site
Lovely foal, he looks really nicely put together - they say look at 3 days, 3 months and 3years and don't bother in between!

kerrieberry2

Visit site
what a little stunner, I wouldn't be disappointed if he arrived unexpectedly in my field! shame my mares 28 and has been with me for 13 yrs, boo! the others are boys, so no chance of random babies arriving!