Another towing thread.....!

Dumbo

Visit site
Looking at getting a single horse trailer as I will only ever be towing one.
My question is, if I tow the HB403 (unladen weight 767kg) carrying my TB (560kg), total of 1327kg. Am I still required to get my B+E licence?

MuddyTB

Visit site
It depends on what vehicle you are towing with.
For B licence towing the total plated weight of car and trailer must not exceed 3500kg, but it works off maximum plated weights not actual weights.

So HB403 has max plated weight 1600kg so the GVW of your tow car would have to be 1900kg or less.
Or you could downplate the trailer to 1400 or 1500kg and car could go up to 2100kg.

kinnygirl1

Visit site
I "think" that it depends on the plated weight of your trailer (I think the HB403 is 1600kg) and the GVW of your towing car. As long as those 2 added together are not more than 3500kg you are fine. If you are just slightly over you can get your trailer downplated by Ifor Williams and this may get you below the 3500kg. ROG will correct me if I am wrong. I looked into this for my younger sister who doesn't have B and E.

Annagain

Visit site
If the total weight you need to tow is 1327kg, you could downplate your trailer to 1400kg and still have some room to play with (in case the pony weighs a bit more than you think or you want to add a tack pack in future). That way your tow car could have a GVW of up to 2100kgs. What car do you want to tow with?

Downplating is relatively straightforward. You need to contact Ifor Williams and they'll tell you what you need to do. Normally it's just a case of sending them some money and they'll send you a new plate.

ROG

Visit site
All the info you need is on post number 2000 of the HHO TOWING CLINIC - link in my signature below with instant email alerts set up for it

For B licence towing there is one extra rule on top of all the usual towing rules and that is .......

The plated GVW of the vehicle added to the plated MAM of the trailer must not add up to more than 3500 kg

Licences go on plated weights not actual weights