Another trip away for exracer

Charlie007

Visit site
Hired out our lovely local indoor school today to get my lad used to going to different venues.

Went out to fetch him in and found him having a hooley with my other horse, they had broken in together!! Just what I needed!!

Anyway loaded him and arrived, he was very sweaty but didn't hear much banging in the trailer so perhaps it was the previous field escape that upset him?!

Unloaded, he is still very unsettled when we arrive anywhere. I guess still anticipating a race? So I backed him up, walked him forward loads if times. I have never really been into that sort if thing but it did seem to help him relax a little. I took a bucket of chaff to try and make it all a pleasant experience. He ate when relaxed. Got him into indoor. Chilled as chilled could be!! Loves the mirrors. Had a great ride, loaded and travelled no bother home! We are at the same venue next week for a clinic so I'm pleased we have been once for confidence.

Only thing that's spoiling outings is him being unsettled on arrival. I can totally see his point of view but wish he could see mine!!

wkiwi

Visit site
Well done!
What a sensible way to approach his training. Wish more people used common sense like this instead of rushing their horses through everything.

wkiwi

Visit site
I would love to arrive, get on and go

It will come!
I once had one that had absolute hysterics whenever he went somewhere with a group of other horses. Apparently he was very bad at the racetrack too. Turned into one of the most sensible TBs I ever owned and lovely to ride or take anywhere.
In the meantime, you get the enormous sense of achievement from knowing that you are successfully re-training a horse that someone else might have messed up.

Charlie007

Visit site
We will take it all very slowly. Our local venue has just reopened and is holding lots of clinics and low key dressage events. Absolutely ideal for a quiet introduction.Your old tb sounds great!! Hope my boy turns out the same x

{97702}

Visit site
I love going to indoor schools - unlike other (normal?!) horses, Frodo likes them as there are no other horses to look at :D Well done on your trip, we are trying a new venue next week (IF Frodo will load....) so should be interesting :)

biggingerpony

Visit site
My ex racehorse is exactly the same! Takes him a good 20 mins to realise we're not actually racing so I just walk him round the show ground normally with someone walking along side for some confidence. He is partial to a little bronc as well! I hope the more I do and get out experiencing new things the better he'll be.

Glad I'm not the only one in the same boat :)

Rowena

Visit site
Lovely to read about people who are not rushing their horses but giving them time and understanding to make the transition to a riding horse. It is a big step a step that some horses make very easily but others just need time to work things out. Retraining is not a race to see who can achieve the most in the shortest possible time. Charlie007 - you have done exactly the right thing. Enjoy the journey that likes ahead.