Another weight/weight tape question

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
I know that weight tapes are notoriously inaccurate, but I think they are almost useless for my mini Shetlands. I don't have transport, so is there any way of assessing their weight for worming purposes? I'm using the weight tape to monitor weight loss, which I think is ok? I am keeping them on fresh air and they still look overweight though, which is worrying. I am giving them 2.5 kg soaked hay between them per day as advised by the vet and have just started letting them go out for an hour in a small paddock that's been grazed virtually to the ground. Am I doing the right thing?

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Yes to using the tape as just a guide to weight loss.

Can you get them out walking? Mine comes on a dog walk for at least 20 mins in the morning, if too hot for dog then it's a longer route march for little A. I've had a neighbour cut tracks through the long grass in 3 paddocks so marching is done there at present.
A is 32 inches and when vet popped in on way past to another yard (he dropped me off something for someone else adjacent) he remarked at how svelte A is. We estimated she is approx 130/140 kg, She is usually wormed as being 150kg.

She is in a large pen with field shelter at night, goes walking and then out with B in a grazing muzzle for a bit and then into her stable from late morning.

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
Thank you TFF :) I'll start taking them for walks. This is the first year they've been overweight, because I was managing them properly before, but I took my eye off the ball whilst we were lambing and they are now paying the price of my stupidity :confused: