Another what bit post ....

millies

Visit site
Firstly I know a lot of you will say schooling is the answer but iv been working in this issue for a while now and quite frankly said horse knows she is stronger than me and if she wants to canter a bit more she can.
Currently she's worked in a loose ring snaffle with a lozenge, and that suits us fine most of the time but sometimes cantering and jumping in the school us quite exciting and we have a bit of break failure, head goes up and mills feels this is an appropriate time to have a hoon around. Or mills just damn well ignores me. For most of the times she's quite polite and responsive but some times when I ride in the school I have moments where I just feel like I could do with a bit more control. So what bit would you suggest?
Said horse also goes well in a straight bar hanging snaffle and prefers thinner mouth pieces if that helps. It's not too important whether the bit us dressage legal as I was planning just to use it now and again and use her normal but for most if the time.

Tash88

Visit site
If she goes well in a hanging cheek then maybe try a hanging cheek snaffle with a copper lozenge in the middle? The Myler comfort snaffle looks good as well - is she a young horse?

millies

Visit site
She's six and just going through a teenage stage I think ! Il have a look and see if I can pick up either if those this week.

Mavis007

Visit site
If you don't need the bit to be BD legal I really like the NS universal bits. They come with different mouthpieces to suit the horse. They give a bit more control without being severe.

millies

Visit site
Does any one have a horse that hate the NS bit ? There quite expensive and there no where near me I could borrow one from, tack shop that let 'borrow' bits first to see if they suited has closed now.
Currently I use a flash now but I find when she's getting silly she fights that quite a bit, would a grackle be better any way ?

Tash88

Visit site
Personally I wouldn't change both the bit and the noseband at the same time as you need to work out which she isn't happy with. Perhaps change the bit first then if that doesn't work think about a different noseband.