Another what do you think of this horse - sorry

ecb89

Visit site
Can you tell me what you think of this gelding
http://www.horsemart.co.uk/advert/7_yrs_2_mths_16_1_hh_chestnut_irish_draught_x_eastern/86705

He is very cheap and looks like it is a dealer.

I think I have a thing for the gingers
grin.gif

ecb89

Visit site
thats what I was thinking, it says regularly competed but desnt give placings. I do have a weakness for a chestnut with a white blaze
grin.gif

ecb89

Visit site
Me too, I'm a bit of a grammar queen
blush.gif

But there could be a genuine reason why the spelling isnt good.

Worth a phone call?

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
I am sort of curious as to why both pictures are taken from the back and no side on confo shot is provided?
on the first image his hip looks quite prominent as well and on the 2nd I cant quite figure out what he would look like in the flesh as his front end looks a bit smaller than the back (but that could be the camera angle)

But he does have a very bonny face! If you really like him then ye always worth a call, but id say be very careful and maybe take someone v knowledgable with you (not saying ur not, but a grounding mind who isnt emotionally involved in the horse search is always a good thing!)

ecb89

Visit site
I would definitley take someone with me, either one of my experience horsie friends or the yard owner of the riding school I ride at.

Your right about the hip bone, maybe he just needs a good feed and working

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
yup thats what I was thinking on the sticky out hip.

but at the same time it can be that it causes the hindlimbs to move "awkwardly" if you get me? So I would watch him trot up for you etc and assess what you think of the movement.

Iv seen one horse like this who's stifle dislocated and then relocated as it walked so Im always wary of gait now when I see prominent hip bones (but thats prob being a vet student and being super duper anal about everything now!
smile.gif
hehe)

Lucy_Nottingham

Visit site
u wud think, but thats why I would do a full run through of history, ground work, trotting up, etc prior to even trying to see him ridden if I went to view him...

I am not saying his stifle is going to pop out but I just mean no muscle round major joints like that can lead to problems so just keep your mind and eyes open
smile.gif

spacefaer

Visit site
if he's not long over from Ireland, he'll be thinner than we're used to in the UK - they've had a very bad winter and horses can be picked up thin and cheap.... I would imagine she's still making a profit on him.

Be wary of giving him too much food too soon - you might get more horse than you've bargained for once he's feeling well!