Another WWYD re yard move

Weesielou

Visit site
I currently keep my horse at a great yard with good facilities I have been there 3 years and have some great friends there and my horse is settled however she has had recurring cellulitis due to mud fever and now it's all year round pastern dermatitis, this last winter was the worst and she spent a good few weeks in recovering from it we know that the land is high in iron and now the vets want to do a load of tests to try and get to the bottom of it however other horses that have suffered really bad skin problems and mud fever have left the yard and not had a problem since , I now am considering moving my horse back to a yard I was at previously (I only left the previous yard due to financial problems ) the other yard is on par for price and facilities and services as my current yard however the old yard does have less grazing but better Haylege but only one arena for everyone to share however my horse never had mud fever and horses that have left my current yard have gone there and recovered and not had it again where as my current yard has great grazing but we have had poor Haylege this year but it has 2 arenas. I'm really struggling with this decision as I love both yards and both have pros and cons so would you stay put and look into other ways to manage the mud fever although do feel like I've tried them all and pay for expensive tests to be potentially told it is the land and will need to move anyway or do you move back to the old yard and hope that the problems disappear and we go back to normal? The only other factor is the current yard holds competitions on site and the old yard doesn't and I don't have my own transport however I am prepared to sacrifice that if its better to move for my horse. Thanks in advance for any help with this dilemma

catroo

Visit site
I don't see the dilemma either, horses legs arent going to improve where you are and welfare first. Doesn't matter if current yard has more grass if your horse can't go out on it!

Cecile

Visit site
I would be really tempted to move yards prior to running all sorts of tests which may not help find the answer to the problem.
I've been to visit friends at yards previously where a fair percentage of horses seem to have the same problem with various skin complaints which always mystifies me, so as they say *A change is as good as a rest* - it does sound like your horse and you could both do with a bit of a rest from this problem

Weesielou

Visit site
Thank you for your comments, I think after typing this post and seeing my own dilemma in writing I realised I need to move so have contacted the yard and accepted the available stable. Thank you though, it has helped me feel like I am doing the right thing even as sad as my horse and I will be to leave as it really is a fantastic yard and we are both happy apart from the mud fever and the consequential cellulitis.