Answer to whether getting a schoolmaster helps.

siennamiller

Visit site
So, a while ago, I posted a question, asking whether, if you get a schoolmaster, whether your results would magically improve, or maybe I was just rubbish, and can't ride for toffee, and could therefore ride a Grand Prix horse and still get 4 faults. I got a variety of answers, but then, my horse injured herself long term, so I rehomed her to a lovely place to nanny some foals, and got myself a fab showjumper on loan.
He is 18, has won at hickstead and various others, but not been over jumped, he has the t-shirt!
So, in a year and a half of owning my last horse, I was 9th in an BE80, and 3rd in a british novice once.
I've had new horse for 6 weeks, been out 5 times, and had 2 3rds, a 5th, and only one pole in all 5 classes.
The only time I had the pole was when I rode him horribly at coombelands last weekend, but generally we seem to be getting on well, he is just lovely (and so uncomplicated on the ground, unlike my last horse). We are only doing .90, but going to work up to 1m soon.
image_2.jpeg

FP3_4918.jpg

[Content removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

dixie

Visit site
That is really good to hear and encouraging. I'm in the same boat now and contemplating finding one like you've got. Was he advertised or was it word and mouth?

siennamiller

Visit site
Susiq, hopefully some little stuff, his owner doesn't want him doing big Xc which is fine by me.
He was advertised on Facebook, lots of people replied, and I was lucky enough to be chosen to have him.

HotToTrot

Visit site
I can't remember whether I saw your first post and answered, but if I had, I would have said YES, do it! And I am glad that you have!

LynH

Visit site
I bought a dressage school mistress about 3 months ago and am having so much fun with her. I too have had good results out competing, my previous PB was 65.5% and have already got scores of 66% and 72.5% with her. I love that she does what she is asked so I can now focus on the fine detail and making everything more accurate and better prepared. I had thought that I wanted a schoolmaster for a couple of years and then get a youngster but already I can see myself wanting another older horse that has done PSG +.
I am so glad to hear of others enjoying older experienced horses, they have a lot to give both in confidence and experience.