anti-cast strip Vs anti-cast roller?

welshied

Visit site
I know i have asked before about anti-cast rollers etc but keep trying different things but my 4 year old got cast again last night hes on shavings with the biggest banks i can give him which he has been ok with untill last night now everyone keeps asking why i dont put him in anti-cast roller even just for a week or so but i am worried he will still try rolling with it on and if it will cause his back problems especially with him still developing etc or do i get him rubber matting with little bed and anti-cast strips is he less likely to hurt his legs that way luckily he has always managed to get himself up everytime so far but am worried just dont know what to do for best

NorthDevonTraveller

Visit site
I recommend anti-cast strips. I have both the rubber strips and 2"x4" timber (which is the better one). I only had the rubber as I knew the horse would chew the wood, but the rubber strips can pull off the wall.

My vet recommended them as my stable walls are concrete block and therefore very smooth. The rails were put up at stifle height and have had plenty of use. I used to use rollers, but they were always very heavy and I doubt they did their backs any favours.

Also, is your horse over rugged? They get pretty itchy and start trashing their beds if they are too hot.

poniesanddogs

Visit site
Hi
I have a horse whom I have owned since he was 4 and is now 22 - he used to get cast a lot as a youngster. Even whilst wearing an anti-cast roller which had to be cut off to free him as he was stuck. He now wears nothing. Try the strips, they sound like they are good. Good luck

teamsarazara

Visit site
We always use straw in horses that get cast, literally bank up to the ceiling. Much cheaper than shavings! Never heard of the strips but they do sound good!

milo'n'molly

Visit site
I wouldn't use a roller as I know horses have done themselves considerable damage whilst wearing one at still have snd I don't think they work. I have rubber mats on the floor but still have a full bed of shavings 6-8 inches thick and megga bankings like 3-4 ft high and compacted down as fluffy bankings will collapse when needed the most. This has done the trick but my next option was to fix rubber mats to the wall with rubber battons

Louby

Visit site
I looked at the strips but ended up getting wall matting as the price difference wasnt much. I thought at least with half the wall matted, he would have more area to get a grip rather than the 6 inches or so with the strip. It has worked as there is slight damage to it in a couple of places where he must have got a grip.