Anti rub neck?

My_old_warmblood

Visit site
My HW cob gets his mane rubbed out every year by his necked turnout. I can’t replace it as it’s an amazing rug which fits him well, but the seam on the neck is a pain. He’s a dun and white so the white (thinnest) part of his mane gets rubbed out but the dark half, nearer his ears, always wethers the storm so he looks odd come spring and I have to even it out.
I want to invest in a neck guard (not the full hood, just the neck) but I need it to be affordable and big enough for a 15hh hw. Any advice/ recommendations? Are they safe? Do they do more harm than good? Any alternatives?

My_old_warmblood

Visit site
Is it a LW neck? If not I’d give up.

If it is how about a layer of silk / fake silk over the seam and coat shine on the mane itself.
It’s a 250g and 3 years old and I’ll probably get this winter, and maybe the next out of it. It’s our favour rug. With his sensitive mane he looses hair at the smallest rub.
Thanks for the advice, I might try it! The rug itself is satin lined (everywhere but the blasted seam!)

My_old_warmblood

Visit site
Why does he need a full neck rug on all the time?

Snuggy hoods do turnout hoods alot of my friends use them and they never rub the mane.
He’s fully clipped, and super sensitive to the cold. Why shouldn’t he have a neck on…? He has a lighter rug on during mild days, (right now he’s in a lighter rug), but will wear the condemned rug when the temperature drops.

bouncing_ball

Visit site
He’s fully clipped, and super sensitive to the cold. Why shouldn’t he have a neck on…? He has a lighter rug on during mild days, (right now he’s in a lighter rug), but will wear the condemned rug when the temperature drops.

I use a no fill rug with neck and 0 to 400gms of liner to fill on body. I think over heating on neck is a major cause of mane loss.

Shoei

Visit site
This happens with my Gelderlander and I have tried everything, it's his white bit too!

What seems to work the best is no neck as much as possible, hood when he needs more and a masta domed neck when he needs it. No neck when in. And keeping it as clean as possible.

Absolutely no help at all I'm afraid if you're trying to do the best with the rug but I thought I'd give my experience as I have struggled for years.

My_old_warmblood

Visit site
I use a no fill rug with neck and 0 to 400gms of liner to fill on body. I think over heating on neck is a major cause of mane loss.

strangely enough, the loss of hair is directly where the seam sits. There is no loss of hair elsewhere when brushing so I would guess it’s more to do with friction

My_old_warmblood

Visit site
This happens with my Gelderlander and I have tried everything, it's his white bit too!

What seems to work the best is no neck as much as possible, hood when he needs more and a masta domed neck when he needs it. No neck when in. And keeping it as clean as possible.

Absolutely no help at all I'm afraid if you're trying to do the best with the rug but I thought I'd give my experience as I have struggled for years.
Thank you anyway. I’m not sure why it only happens to the white parts! Thankfully, I think we’re in for a mild winter so maybe he won’t need to have his neck so much this year!

Brownmare

Visit site
I use Rambo rugs with detachable necks. The velcro system they have allows you to set the neck a little higher so it doesn't rub. Premier Equine have (or at least they used to) the same attachment style.

Squeak

Visit site
I spray the mane and the rug with mane and tail detangler and I think it did help. It might also be worth checking that the neck cover isn't getting greasy as I find that also causes more mane to rub out. If it is greasy I found scrubbing with a brush and some water adequate to clean it.

Snuggy hoods do a headless neck cover that is meant to help, I have one but haven't used it for long enough to be able to say whether it stopped the mane getting rubbed out but would probably be my next step if the two things above didn't work.

Pinkvboots

Visit site

I just think most horses can survive without neck rugs on everyday especially as the winters are much milder, and if they get too hot the hair will fall out even more.

I have Arab's and they are clipped but they don't wear neck covers unless the weather is vile or they would have no mane either.

All the showing people use snuggy turnout hoods so they don't rub the mane out, you can put them on underneath a neck cover but most people use them on there own.

My_old_warmblood

Visit site
I spray the mane and the rug with mane and tail detangler and I think it did help. It might also be worth checking that the neck cover isn't getting greasy as I find that also causes more mane to rub out. If it is greasy I found scrubbing with a brush and some water adequate to clean it.

Snuggy hoods do a headless neck cover that is meant to help, I have one but haven't used it for long enough to be able to say whether it stopped the mane getting rubbed out but would probably be my next step if the two things above didn't work.
Thank you, I’ll have a look! I’ll have to invest in some more detangler too!

My_old_warmblood

Visit site
I just think most horses can survive without neck rugs on everyday especially as the winters are much milder, and if they get too hot the hair will fall out even more.

I have Arab's and they are clipped but they don't wear neck covers unless the weather is vile or they would have no mane either.

All the showing people use snuggy turnout hoods so they don't rub the mane out, you can put them on underneath a neck cover but most people use them on there own.

again, I didn’t ask for your opinion on my ability to rug my horse appropriately. He doesn’t wear a neck 24/7, but even after a couple of days his mane has rubbed. Yes, he would “survive” without it, but he would be a miserable sod and be rather put out that I hadn’t kept him warm enough. I know my horse, and I know he feels the cold worse than some TBs. your Arabs probably stay warmer than mine- who just stands looking sorry for himself until I bring him in. I love my horse too much to let him freeze and become soaking wet because of a cosmetic reason.

My_old_warmblood

Visit site
I use Rambo rugs with detachable necks. The velcro system they have allows you to set the neck a little higher so it doesn't rub. Premier Equine have (or at least they used to) the same attachment style.
I’ll have to look into that next year- this year I opted to buy him a HW stable rug as I was stacking two MW last year to keep him warm, so the rug budget is low.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
again, I didn’t ask for your opinion on my ability to rug my horse appropriately. He doesn’t wear a neck 24/7, but even after a couple of days his mane has rubbed. Yes, he would “survive” without it, but he would be a miserable sod and be rather put out that I hadn’t kept him warm enough. I know my horse, and I know he feels the cold worse than some TBs. your Arabs probably stay warmer than mine- who just stands looking sorry for himself until I bring him in. I love my horse too much to let him freeze and become soaking wet because of a cosmetic reason.

No need to be rude I did actually offer an alternative but you chose to ignore it!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
My HW cob gets his mane rubbed out every year by his necked turnout. I can’t replace it as it’s an amazing rug which fits him well, but the seam on the neck is a pain. He’s a dun and white so the white (thinnest) part of his mane gets rubbed out but the dark half, nearer his ears, always wethers the storm so he looks odd come spring and I have to even it out.
I want to invest in a neck guard (not the full hood, just the neck) but I need it to be affordable and big enough for a 15hh hw. Any advice/ recommendations? Are they safe? Do they do more harm than good? Any alternatives?
https://www.bossysbibs.com/products/bossys-maneguards-prevention-cure-for-horse-mane-loss

Just make sure you get the right size. If you want to buy a second hand one in good nick I have one which I am thinking of selling

Do find Gallop rugs very roomy in the neck area due to the diamond shape over the withers
Also you could sponge the inside of the neck where grease builds up

My_old_warmblood

Visit site
https://www.bossysbibs.com/products/bossys-maneguards-prevention-cure-for-horse-mane-loss

Just make sure you get the right size. If you want to buy a second hand one in good nick I have one which I am thinking of selling

Do find Gallop rugs very roomy in the neck area due to the diamond shape over the withers
Also you could sponge the inside of the neck where grease builds up

yes- good idea, I’ll have to see what size he is. Which size is yours? Ive already invested in gallop rugs and I’ll have to get their medium eventually!

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
Here is a Rhino Plus without the neck and a Snuggy hood. My pony’s mane is only rubbed in front of the wither. It’s not perfect but it is the best I have managed. If I use the neck over the Snuggy it doesn’t seem to rub but it hasn’t been cold enough for that.

Attachments

• FACF99F0-D7C4-4ABE-9351-3B8D46F561CC.jpeg
    FACF99F0-D7C4-4ABE-9351-3B8D46F561CC.jpeg
    622.6 KB · Views: 8

nikkimariet

Visit site
I use no fill necks on mine (clip on). He may be getting a bit too hot? Worth seeing a strip of satin over the seam though.

I try and avoid anything too thick and tight on their necks, I’m very precious about keeping mine warm and clean but you’d be surprised at how warm they are naturally :)

My_old_warmblood

Visit site
If you read back I said maybe use a snuggy hood under a neck cover I wouldn't call that letting your horse freeze to death,

And what did horses do before neck covers existed I am sure none of them froze to death ?

I’m also sure you don’t realise I rug my horse completely because he’s particularly sensitive.

My_old_warmblood

Visit site
I use no fill necks on mine (clip on). He may be getting a bit too hot? Worth seeing a strip of satin over the seam though.

I try and avoid anything too thick and tight on their necks, I’m very precious about keeping mine warm and clean but you’d be surprised at how warm they are naturally :)
I’m certain I’m rugging him appropriately, simply because he’s extremely sensitive to the cold. His behaviour changes if he is too hot/ cold and his water intake would go up considerably (we don’t have automated troughs).
the rug in question hasn’t got a removable neck either which is the trouble really.

My_old_warmblood

Visit site
Here is a Rhino Plus without the neck and a Snuggy hood. My pony’s mane is only rubbed in front of the wither. It’s not perfect but it is the best I have managed. If I use the neck over the Snuggy it doesn’t seem to rub but it hasn’t been cold enough for that.
I see you have a mud monster too :)