Anti-slip saddle pads

OrionDuca

Visit site
I have a little cobby pony and the saddle is slipping all the time, i've had a saddle fitter out, and the saddle is the correct fit and the girth is always done up. He's just a round pony. I've been told anti-slip saddle pads are quite good, i was wondering if anybody has used them, and if so do they work? Also does anybody recommend any particular brands?

Thanks everyone

Annie B.

Visit site
I use a Barnsby grip pad on my cob. They are quite expensive but look smart and fit well.

Hi, sorry forum will only let me on if I reply with quote. Just want to say I had the same problem with my Cleveland Bay x cob and I purchased a acavallo saddle square. It's brilliant, it was expensive but I wished I got it sooner the gell sticks to the horse on the underside and to the saddle on the upper side no movement at all now and no over girthing.

Dreckly

Visit site
Another vote for the Acavallo saddle square. Brilliant on my roundish Shire cross. Just wash it regularly in soapy water to keep it sticky.

epona14

New User
Visit site
there's a cobby round thing at my yard and he has to have one of these, they're amazing when new, the saddle doesn't slip one bit, but when it gets a little older the stickiness goes away, even though its washed about once a week i think, although it is much better than just a normal numnah, i've ridden him in both, might be worth a try with your pony though! cant say much on brands cause i dont really know any :)

w1bbler

Visit site
My ex saddler told me slipping was inevitable due to horses shape & recommended limpet pad.
Then I got native pony & cob saddle company out, who fitted a saddle designed for my horses shape & now have a very stable saddle.
If it slips it doesn't fit, find a new saddler.

calmgirl

Visit site
Does the saddle slip with no saddle cloth? It really shouldn't, in this case something like a barnsby grip pad will help. If it does slip I would try a saddle fitter again.

OrionDuca

Visit site
Thanks everyone! I'm going to ring a saddler out for a double check, then try the barnsby pad once it gets to payday. Thanks again :D

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Definitely have a second opinion on the saddle - if you and the horse are straight in your bodies, and no muscular asymmetry in the horse etc, then no matter how wide, the saddle should not slip. If it does it does not fit - my average fit is XW/XXW and the saddles are stable when they're right. I do not like non slip pads one bit and only ever recommend them as a VERY temporary fix.

OrionDuca

Visit site
Definitely have a second opinion on the saddle - if you and the horse are straight in your bodies, and no muscular asymmetry in the horse etc, then no matter how wide, the saddle should not slip.

When the saddle fitter came out last she did a drawing of the shape of him using a bendy stick thing( I have absolutely no idea what to call it) and she did say he's an odd shape, one shoulder different to the other, could that be an issue if the saddler agrees it fits correctly, or should it not make a difference?

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Drawing curve :)

Asymmetry in the horse, ie one shoulder bigger than the other, very common, can make a saddle slip but, if horse and rider are otherwise straight then the saddle fitter needs to come up with a way (I use shims or asymmetric girthing) to keep the saddle straight. It is sitting where it doesnt fit, if its not straight, by definition, and will cause more issues over time. Stability and straightness is REALLY important.

With a mild asymmetry then the right saddle will often "cure" the issue ie it will sit straight. More major asymmetries are more tricky. Have you and the horse both been seen by a chiro or similar?

OrionDuca

Visit site
I do have a Mctimoney therapist coming out to see him next week, would seeing one myself help? I would never have thought of that!

LittleRooketRider

Visit site
there's a cobby round thing at my yard and he has to have one of these, they're amazing when new, the saddle doesn't slip one bit, but when it gets a little older the stickiness goes away, even though its washed about once a week i think, although it is much better than just a normal numnah, i've ridden him in both, might be worth a try with your pony though! cant say much on brands cause i dont really know any :)

Another acavallo fan.....your supposed to wash it after every use but I've got away with washing it after every 2 rides and it is still very sticky and works..I also keep it wrapped in a cotton sheet/towel to stop it sticking to itself when i am carrying it.

out of interest how do they wash and dry their anti-slip epona14?