Anti snaking device/ stabilisers- does anyone use?

NeedNewHorse

Visit site
Oh I am pleased you put this post up! I had never heard of them until the other day literally and I was going to post literally what you had put...

I saw an old post from someone who said they used one, and looked it up. I am going to get one, since it can surely only help?

but i would be very interested in what others say too

xx

ihatework

Visit site
I have never used one and never seen the need too given I have never experienced a trailer snaking.

I think if yout trailer is snaking more than once then you should really be re-evaluating eeither your driving and/or the vehicle you are using to tow with.

applecart14

Visit site
I agree with I HATE WORK reply. I have never needed one in the 14 years I've been towing. Your trailer is likely to snake in very high winds so drive carefully if your journey is absolutely essential, otherwise stay at home. It is also likely to snake if you go down a steep hill too fast so change down to a lower gear every time you come to a steep hill. If you cut a corner too fast this can cause snaking so dont! If a large lorry overtakes you on the motorway increase your speed slightly as it is paralel to you and when it has passed take your foot of the accelerator. In all cases, when snaking occurs, take your foot off of the accelarator and keep off the brakes. A gentle reduction of speed is the only recommended method of stopping the snaking. A sudden hard braking can cause the trailer to over turn.

I had a trailer snake on me once going down a long incline even though I was in a low gear, but there was a bad cross wind. It did shake me up but I doubt whether a stabiliser would have made much difference.

pipper

Visit site
yes i use one - wouldnt dream of towing without one! Any help for safe towing is good in my opinion!! i once forgot to put it on and had to stop a mile down the road as the trailer felt 'wobbly' - once i had put it on it felt much better. So my vote is for using one.....

Orangehorse

Visit site
The last snaking accident I heard of was when the trailer wheels flipped out of some "ruts" made in the inside lane of a motorway - an event that could not have been forseen in any way and when the trailer was being driven sensibly and within the speed limit, so to say "I have never needed one" is tempting fate.

Considering that they are more or less standard with the caravanning fraternity, who are only towing a lump of metal and not a live animal, I too am surprised that very few trailers have one. One endurance friend travels many miles to events and they have one fitted and say it makes a big difference. I intend to get one as soon as I get my new trailer.

Mike007

Visit site
There are so many reasons for snaking,but it is highly dangerous. basicly,(the science bit)Energy becomes stored in the oscilation,and can build up till ultimately you crash.Sometimes it is extremely difficult to stop the positive feedback that is causing the snaking. A damper,draws energy off and does a very good job of preventing snaking.They are a very good idea!

galaxy

Visit site
ME! I use one (and have posted a LOT about them!)

I live near the M27 and there are patches that suddenly open open up and the cross wind is terrible! Several trailers go over every year. They're not all badly loaded/ speeding etc. I get blown badly just going along in my 4x4.

With the bar on it feels completely different. The trailer doesn't move one inch, no movement at all.

A stabiliser doesn't allow the trailer to whip side to side, so would stop snaking. I've never had my trailer move at all since using one. I've never had one snake either, but have felt a wind bash against it.

For the sake of £100 I really don't know why everyone doesn't use them.

galaxy

Visit site
I use a Bulldog.

http://www.bulldogsecure.com/product/9/200q-stabiliser

Basically it attaches securely to your car, and rests (heavily) on a bracket attached to your trailer (this allows you to turn corners). There is a bit in the middle that you tighten once you've put it on. This holds the trailer straight and will only allow gentle slow movement for when you turn a corner. But it will not allow sudden movement which would happen if your trailer was blown sideways or snaking.

Not a great explanation probably. Sorry! They definitly work though! There really is a huge difference when you tow.

Coffee_Bean

www.horseandhound.co.uk
Thank you, all very interesting replies. I must say I think the "I've never needed one" argument isn't the best... we don't need seatbelts 99% of the time, but we use them incase the worst happens.

I'm hoping to get a trailer next year, so plan on using a stabliser, seems silly not to imo, anything that can make them safer :)