Antihistamine

Amos

Visit site
Has anyone ever given/been recommended to use human antihistamine tablets on a horse/pony for allergies?

l_i_z_z_i_e

Visit site
Has anyone ever given/been recommended to use human antihistamine tablets on a horse/pony for allergies?

Yes, I have a horse with bad skin allergies who was prescribed Ucerax by vets. Something crazy like 30 tabs 3 x a day i think it was. I had issues getting that many into her, had to crush and syringe in in the end.

Vet said at the time I think that there isn't any scientific proof that antihistamines work on horses but was worth a try. I didn't think they made any difference at all.

Kokopelli

Visit site
Yes, I thought my boy had a bee sting so have him 15 piritons (the one a day ones) a day for 3 days. The amount varies depending on the size of your horse but I've been told up to 24 is fine. You need to give a good amount though for it to actually work :)

l_i_z_z_i_e

Visit site
Having said that she has just got laminitis from the steroids she has just had for her skin allergies, so no more steroids in future. I may well look to give antihistamines a try again.

Amos

Visit site
We have a pony who becomes weezy at this time of year. Definitely not dust. Sure its pollen. On ventapulmin but just wondered if this was an option to try. Shes about 13hh. Retired.

Amicus

Visit site
I think the current veterinary thinking is that antihistamines don't make much sense in horses as their allergic reaction don't have much histamine involvement but for some horses they appear to have a helpful affect so worth a go.

Holly Hocks

Visit site
My horse becomes a headshaker with the pollen and always has a streaming nose with it. I gave her piriton, but they didnt' make any difference at all, so I'm trying Cetirizine now. I've had no runny nose now for a few days and not as much headshaking. Could be the antihistamines, or could be coincidence - I have no idea!

pennyturner

Visit site
I had a pony with a rape pollen issue. I was advised to smear vasaline around the inside of his nostrils. Works like MAGIC!

Also works a treat for hay fever in humans (although it's a bit icky)

Amos

Visit site
What sort of symptoms did the rape pollen cause? Interesting about the vasaline. Will give it a go.

I had a pony with a rape pollen issue. I was advised to smear vasaline around the inside of his nostrils. Works like MAGIC!

Also works a treat for hay fever in humans (although it's a bit icky)

STRIKER

Visit site
Lather the nostrils in vaseline which will trap the pollen so doesnt enter the nasal passage, cheap,and easy

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Vet prescribed up to 30 Piriton for nettlerash on a youngster about 18 years ago.

It did not make that much difference, maybe lowered the rash a bit, but the horse was VERY quiet to ride (vet said riding was OK), and it was a bit of a giveaway that he has 5 legs (Ooops), one of which was very, er, relaxed!

I guess it was not "non drowsy", but it was what the vet gave us. I would use it with caution now.

Actually the best thing for taking the rash down was a trip out on the lorry. When we asked the vet why that could be so he said it may have been the adrenaline?

pennyturner

Visit site
What sort of symptoms did the rape pollen cause? Interesting about the vasaline. Will give it a go.

Pony would start sneezing violently, throwing me up in the air as he arched his back, as well as tossing his head. Because he was a stubborn little blighter this wouldn't stop him hurtling towards a jump flat out, even if there's no way he could see or think clearly, so it was really quite dangerous.