Anxious Mare

fishy

Visit site
Hi, I'd be very grateful for some advice. I have had my 8 year old ISH mare since November. She was in need of some weight and muscle when I got her and I have been slowly building her up by hacking and schooling her. She has a lovely temperament in the stable and in hand. She will hack out with another horse and go first or last (can be a bit strong if you canter behind) but she is awful to hack out on her own. She is very anxious, will stop, look behind her and spook (although she doesn't spin) and tries to 'rush' everywhere, she snorts a lot and generally doesn't feel relaxed. I try and talk to her, praise her when she is calm and generally take deep breaths and be positive. She then becomes very excited when we are on the lane back to the farm and if we meet anything or anyone has been known to rear on occasion. Once we are back on the yard she becomes calm and relaxed again. She is fed on hay, dengie hifi original and herbal quiet mix and NAF magic calmer.

I don't want this to become a major problem, I have got off and led her the last few metres when I've thought I was going to get into a fight with her, but I don't want to keep doing this either.

Any suggestions?