Any advice on grease and sores in feathers

fay4

Visit site
Hi

Just wondered if anyone could help me - I've got a cob which has very heavy feathers, after many years I think I've conquered the "mite" issue, however I'm struggling with the dreaded "grease" well thats what I think it is??

Many years ago I used to clip his legs out during winter and still struggled with this problem so I thought I'd leave his feathers to offer more protection. I thought it was the weather that was chapping the skin causing it to split.

However I still seem to have the same problem leaving his feather on. The problem area is just below his knee the hair seems to part and the skin looks sore and scab/grease forms making the problem worst.

Over the last fortnight I've tried sudacrem to soften the scabs and when I washed it off a week later it looked quite clean, lovely pink skin and only a few scabs left. I made sure the area was dry before reapplying the sudacream and then today I washed his leg and the scabs/grease seems to of spread further down aaarrrgghhhh! I've cleaned the area and sprayed it with Tea tree antiseptic spray as I didn't want to gunk it back up with cream again. I'm worried with the cream that as hard as try to keep the area clean I'll trap some nasties in there and make things worst! It's also only on one leg too! wondered if I should just leave completely alone? All other legs are fine previously I've had it on all 4 legs! front I have to say normally the worst.

I've tried everything other than the sulphur and pig oil but that worries me in that the fields are muddy and I'm worried that dirt my get trapped and his leg becomes infected or am I wittling? Fear of the unknown? How do you use it? Will it help my problem?

Any adivce would be much appreciated as I have this every winter and it's getting me down because I have to fight with my boy - it's obviously sore and hes also a big mary!

Thanks for reading hope someone can offer me some light at the end of the feathery tunnel!

Thanks also for reading this!

Fay and William x x

WishfulThinker

Just up from that street on the right.....
Visit site
My boy gets this - Salanders. I used Protection Plus salve, and it has gone away - for now. BUT it only appeared after his legs were clipped out. I have left them well alone for the past 2 months and they are scab free, although they are greasy, and the skin that comes off is thicker than that of a non feathered horse, but that is because it isn't brushed every day close to the skin.

The hair next to the skin is clean - it is white on the white legs and shiny black on the others, the mud just doesn't get to them so I don't see the point in interfering now. And since he went on to shavings he seems to have even less irritations.

Dreckly

Visit site
We have 2 horses on our yard with Grease. This year they have both been trying an ointment I used on a previous horse for mud fever called Fungatrol. The results have been amazing. Applied twice daily to start with it has cleared up both horses in about 2 weeks. Once cleared, they have both been applying once every 2 days to keep it at bay and so far it has worked. The Ointment is produced by Equine America and has been absolutely brilliant for this and mud fever.

Theresa_F

Visit site
Send me a PM if you want a copy of a very long PM I send to people about keeping hairy horses legs in tip top condition by using pig oil and sulphur - it does work and has been used for years by heavy horse owners.

Chancer my gypsy cob never has had any problems to date - he is now 31/2 and has had P&S applied since 15 months. Cairo my clydesdale has had problems but now is confined to two very small areas that flare up from time to time just below his chesnuts, but he does have immune problems due to chemo which may be why I cannot completely stop it occuring. Jemima the gypsy cob mare I had, once treated with frontline and then continued with P&S never had problems again whilst I had her on loan. All of them are very heavily feathered.

If I don't reply for a day or two it is because I may not be online again for a few days, but I will if I find a PM when I am back on.

LCobby

Visit site
Pig oil and flowers of suphur work for us, on very hairy and on clipped white socked legs.
For a really crusty outbreak of mallendars, a thick ointment such as NAF Hoof to Heel , appioed thickly and left on for at least 24 hrs, wipe off and reapply- no wetting, will soften and heel, then keep up with the oiling to prevent any reoccurrance.