Any advice on how to sell my saddles?

Casey76

Visit site
Both ponies are now in their new homes and I need to concentrate on sorting my house out and selling (everything)

I have 6 saddles to sell, and although I’ve had 3 up on a national free ads site, plus various FB pages I haven’t had a nibble.

Casey76

Visit site
Depends what kind they are. Pony saddles are much sought after.

Mainly dressage saddles (there’s no way I could fit my behind into a pony saddle lol!)

I have a barely used 2013 Prestige Venus K, an only sat on once HM FlexEE dressage, a Mattes Lammfellesattel in royal blue, an older Ideal dressage, a no-brand ancient dressage saddle, and a very cheap western saddle. All 17 or 18in.

I suppose, if I was being ruthless I could also sell Tartines Prestige Michel Robert event saddle too.

Leo Walker

Visit site
If they arent selling and you need them gone then you need to reduce the price unfortunately. You can also try somewhere like saddles direct as they buy direct.

Northern

Visit site
Selling saddles is hard, it really depends on what's popular in the market at the moment and at what price. From what I can gather, Prestige and Ideals sell quite readily so maybe you need to do as LW said and reduce the price. I've found that putting ads on every single FB page you can think of really helps.

I'm currently on the lookout, and haven't found anything suitable in Aus for what I want. Can you PM me details of the Prestige (both if you are willing ;) ) and Ideal saddles so I can have a nosey? :p

Carrottom

Visit site
I recently bought a second hand saddle from Sheepham Saddles in Devon. They do buy saddles if you need to sell quickly, but you will only get a trade price. They also sell on a commission basis, not sure how this works, might be worth speaking to them.

tda

Visit site
I'm a member of a wide/xw/xw saddle fb selling site, if any are that width
Is it worth seeing if there is a fb selling site for your saddle brand?

Leo Walker

Visit site
Fixed price on Ebay, with an added on carrier fee for safety?

I was looking at ebay yesterday and nothing is selling. It was just page after page of auctions ending with no bids. As Cortez said the market is flooded, not just with saddles but with all sorts of horse stuff. Relaistically for a used saddle sold online you are looking at a 1/3 of the new value, and even then, unless its got a changeable gullet you can end up waiting ages for a buyer.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Difficult one as OP is in France.

I had a lovely little saddle a few years ago, the make wasn't well known, but if you wanted one, then you wanted one, kind of thing.

I'd had it on my old girl, who we'd had to retire quite soon after spending all that money and buying the dang thing, it cost me £850 new and I wasn't inclined to give the thing away.

I had it on Preloved for nearly a year, and resisted several offers to buy it from me for practically nothing. I switched on the computer one day and thought, OK this is the day, I'm gonna take it off Preloved and bung it on e-bay for whatever I can get for it. I was messaged by a saddle fitter in the North of Scotland (I'm in Devon, down the sharp end of the UK!!), asking if I'd be prepared to courier the saddle up to her. She was an affiliated fitter for this type of saddle and had a client who wanted exactly what I had, model, colour, suede-seat and all!! She was prepared to meet my asking price without quibble. So I packed it up and off it went! Everyone happy.

Sometimes, just sometimes, with selling sites like Preloved and Gumtree, you just have to sweat it out and wait. Agree with others that e-bay is flooded with second-hand saddles; plus you get commission taken off to boot! AND if your saddle goes missing in transit, they'll lump you with the financial burden of that and you'll be required to reimburse the seller!

Sorry, don't know what to suggest for the OP in this instance, as don't know what is in France which might be of help.

catkin

Visit site
A long shot - try breed enthusiasts boards. Quite often a certain breed (or similar breeds) will suit similar saddles. If people have youngsters coming through that will be frequently changing shape and saddles they may be looking just for that style saddle but not want to trawl through the very large general sites.

onlytheponely

Visit site
The Selle Dressage A Vendre group on Facebook might be a good idea as they're all quality saddles. I know of a place in Brittany that buys and sells second hand saddles but that's probably too far away unless you were happy to take a low offer and post them sellerie-bretagne.com.

sunnyone

Visit site
I take it you have tried chevalannonce.com? I just left my ad on there (share field) and got a reply after 18 months.
Personally I think it's a little early in the year. In some parts of France the snow has yet to go and the spring growth spurt of grass has yet to begin, therefore most horses haven't really started work.