Any advice on tail trimming please.

Ilovemywelshie

Visit site
Thinking of going to a few local shows this summer will be a first for both me and pony. She has a very thick and
long tail only a few inches from the floor being a welshie would any body suggest to trim shorter and to a point like some of the pictures I've googled or as only local leave her how she is. Wondered if it might help her look rounder in back end as she only been back in work for a few months. Any suggestions would be great as have thinning scissors at the ready.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
What Welsh is she ? Some welsh A ponies are shown plaited so then you would cut the tail across, same with a B, but welsh C and D are mostly left natural and unplaited so you would be best to just pull some longer hairs out to shorten it.

Ilovemywelshie

Visit site
Sorry should have stated she's a welsh d. Think some one has previously cut it very straight as grown out quite blunt I no its just local showing but wanted to give her the best chance of doing well.

twiggy2

Visit site
you do not plait any welsh be it pony or cob apart from sometimes a single plait behind the ears of a pony. the tail should look natural not banged (cut straight)

look at the rules for showing on the wpcs

Ilovemywelshie

Visit site
Dont want to bore everyone with same pic but it's the only one I have uploaded so far here it is so you can see what I mean. Not the most flattering way to stand but thought shorter might make her look more rounded. Ive already trimmed her mane as was way past neck and straggly. Thanks for your replies
8B989FF5-AD66-4A4F-8C42-909F5C9E62B0_zpsgo6xcmpn.jpg
[/IMG]

be positive

Visit site
I think shortening it would make her look better, at the moment it appears to drag her down behind and as you say her back end looks weak, you need to cut it in a V shape so it does still look fairly natural, it could lose several inches off the length easily.

Ilovemywelshie

Visit site
Thanks very much I'm sure some people might think its a crime to cut it. We are a working progress she's changed a lot in two months. I might hold out till next year to show so we can put on a bit more weight and muscle all the welsh breeds look so much more chunky but I suppose she just needs to mature and fill out. Will take a good few inches of then I think.

amandap

Visit site
you need to cut it in a V shape so it does still look fairly natural,
Is there a fool proof way to do this to create a ?swish tail? I always give up end up banging them when they get too long. I don't show though so do keep them longer.

Ilovemywelshie

Visit site
this was mostly out of necessity though, the dreadlocks and filth in a silver tail were most unsightly!

I bet it's beautiful, my mum put me off anything grey or anything with a white mane and tail her very beautiful white Arab loves nothing more than a cosy poo pillow to snuggle down with at night lol, now I appreciate how much work it takes to keep them looking clean.

Tinsel Trouble

Grantham (please don't judge me! originally from S
Visit site
He's chestnut but his mane is almost 'blonde' and his tail is silver underneath a thin layer of chestnut tail hair. It's difficult to describe but his tail looks to go from chestnut at the top to silver at the bottom. I used to plait him ( :eek:) so the underneath silver hair was on top of the chestnut tail hair, it looked stunning! not too difficult to keep clean with weekly brush with canter coat shine and a monthly wash!

He was a stunning creature in his day. He's retired now and looking really feral!

Carrots&Mints

Visit site
What Welsh is she ? Some welsh A ponies are shown plaited so then you would cut the tail across, same with a B, but welsh C and D are mostly left natural and unplaited so you would be best to just pull some longer hairs out to shorten it.

Welsh ponies (or any natives) should never ever be plaited!!

I show my section D inhand, the tail should be cut "naturally" to the hocks, the mane should be "naturally".. mine is about 6 inch long with the forlock being longer. They are allowed a small plait in the main behind the ears.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
I would have it shorter but also at local level I would have it how I wanted it.

my welshies tail is mostly banged straight with clippers with mane pulled for plaiting. However if we have a show to go to I attempt to make his tail look a little scruffier but cutting up into it (not very good at it yet) and let his mane grow a little longer but am not prepared to be too radical ;).

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
I'd trim a tad off it. A long tail on a Welshie can look very good, but I personally think it makes her back end look weak.
I'd take it just below that sock on her hind leg, it will make her look powerful. Good luck, she's a real stunner and I'm sure she'll do well whatever you decide to do with her tail. Are you showing in M&M?

Ilovemywelshie

Visit site
Thank you, very much EE556 I thought she has potential to be lovely, and she has a lovely nature which is big bonus with children. Yes m&m to be honet anything novice and see how we go. She's very green and actually better behaved in hand than ridden so thought we might try that first and take tack see how we go on day if I fancy entering anything else. Thanks all for advice can't wait to get the scissors out tommorrow when baby asleep, I feel a before and after pic coming on as long as I don't hack it! The mane is about 6 inches long suits her better as only a little neck. I will all come though. Would love to see any ones welshy pics. Show order or not I just love them.

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
Thank you, very much EE556 I thought she has potential to be lovely, and she has a lovely nature which is big bonus with children. Yes m&m to be honet anything novice and see how we go. She's very green and actually better behaved in hand than ridden so thought we might try that first and take tack see how we go on day if I fancy entering anything else. Thanks all for advice can't wait to get the scissors out tommorrow when baby asleep, I feel a before and after pic coming on as long as I don't hack it! The mane is about 6 inches long suits her better as only a little neck. I will all come though. Would love to see any ones welshy pics. Show order or not I just love them.

You're welcome! Sounds good, I think she has huge showing potential! I'll post a photo of my previous ride, now moved on to a stunning NF mare. Do you know how to get the photo into the post? Every time I try
it just shows a little image icon and no photo! :(

ester

Visit site
veteran class but turned out as welshie ;) he did used to have a very long mane! - it took a lot of effort to try and get it to stay all on the same side as it is quite wirey.

954793_10153315391715438_41097335_n.jpg

1233359_10153315392300438_1920458524_n.jpg

blurry but it's his favourite bit!

1239913_10153315390725438_122330171_n.jpg

EE556 - I use .jpg links from facebook and add
no spaces

Pinkvboots

Visit site
you do not plait any welsh be it pony or cob apart from sometimes a single plait behind the ears of a pony. the tail should look natural not banged (cut straight)

look at the rules for showing on the wpcs

I know quite a few people that plait there welsh ponies for showing classes, if used for lead rein or riding pony classes they will be plaited, might not be correct but if they are used for classes other thhan mountain and moorland they willl be plaited up.

Ilovemywelshie

Visit site
I love your boys colouring, other halfs only in put when buying was 'can't you get one of those ginger ones with the blonde hair 'he's soon warmed to the 'donkey ' as he calls her though. Think he wondered what we bought first time he saw her. Gorgeous pictures ester very handsome.
my rosie won't ever get as chunky as your boy I doubt her mother is finer build.

To get a photo you have to open a photo account like photobucket and upload them to get a URL code which u copy and paste into the post. Sounds confusing but not so when you have done it once.

EquiEquestrian556

Visit site
I love your boys colouring, other halfs only in put when buying was 'can't you get one of those ginger ones with the blonde hair 'he's soon warmed to the 'donkey ' as he calls her though. Think he wondered what we bought first time he saw her. Gorgeous pictures ester very handsome.
my rosie won't ever get as chunky as your boy I doubt her mother is finer build.

To get a photo you have to open a photo account like photobucket and upload them to get a URL code which u copy and paste into the post. Sounds confusing but not so when you have done it once.

So would Pinterest work? I've got a account on Pinterest...

ester

Visit site
if you right click on the photo on pinterest and copy image url then add the tagging I mentioned above, if you get stuck send me a link to your pinterest and I don't mind trying!

thanks ILMW - he is quite square - his dad was too but have never found a picture of mum. He isn't really typey enough to do that well at M+M classes but has done v. well as a veteran and I have done M+M and plaited workers on him (as well as every other fun thing to do with ponies you could think of ;) )

soulfull

Visit site
I've done a lot of asking around for showing a welsh D. Years ago it was to leave them as natural as possible. however its all changed now. they want manes that are about 6in long and curved so that it shows the neck line. Tails that are just below the hocks and thinned out into a plume (like an upside down feather)

To do this you use a knife or razor and run it down and round the outside of the tail so that it goes down in layers with the middle part being the longest.

you have plenty of tail to practice on :)

I am doing a showing clinic with a HOYs judge on saturday so am going to ask her exact same question. Will let you know what she says

ester

Visit site
it does seem a bit more variable again atm though, have been a few with not quite so short manes and tails I think.

ester

Visit site
see I wouldn't listen at local shows necessarily and I do think it depends on the welshie and ridden tends to be longer than in hand.

OP these guys have loads of show pics

http://www.rainhillwelshcobs.com/archive.php?name=%&search=&show=Royal Welsh Show&year=2013&class=

for example royal welsh stallions

5th place
monahawkmasterpiece07.jpg

3rd place was also quite long but no pics of it hanging straight! and manes seem longer to me atm

and a gelding

owfenmrsoftee01.jpg

I think for true welshie they do look better shorter than my lad to show off hind end - you can always try it and grow it back :D

Last edited: