any advice or help please on bute x

TigerLilly

Visit site
Hi my boy Harry is 22 and has arthritis in his hocks over the last two months he has gone down hill and got very very stiff so much so i have had to retire him with in the last two weeks, i had the vet to look at him last week and he gave me bute to give to him so he is now on bute but he seems to be goingdown hill very quickly since being on the bute hes draging his back legs and as i have no experince of putting horses on bute and i am wandering if this is normal of bute i would love here any advice please and your experinces thanks x

jewel

Visit site
i would get the vet out again as the bute wouldn't make him worse, it's probably more like that it from not being worked anymore. and i'm being nosey where in cornwall are you?

carys220

Visit site
The bute shouldn't be having effect, it should really just act like paracetamol for humans.....I would def get the vet back out to look at him.

And beware of putting him on bute long term, it can cause damage to their organs, my friend lost her oldie that way.
frown.gif

M_J

Visit site
the bute should help with arthritis, think if it like ibuprofen for us, it reduces the swelling and therefore the pain, if it's not working I'd get the vet out for another look at him, I feel for you, I lost my oldie to this crippling disease in March
frown.gif

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Yep, time for the vet to come back out. Ask him if you can use Danillon instead, and perhaps try two a day for a month, and then reduce it back down to 1 a day to see how you get on.

I looked after a horse for someone a while ago who we kept comfortable on 1 to 2 Danillon a day. But once the dosage was needing to be increased he was pts.

Do you also have him on a good joint suppliment??? Are you keeping him warm??? And how much turnout does he have??

surreyhorsechick

Visit site
I have exactly the same prob with my 21 year old........I have him on Corta-vet powder (buy online for around £35), Pernamax tablets (herbal) plus I use Bute-x by Global herbs which is an alternative to bute.

I also have hionate injections every 6 months and occasionally a cortizone inj directly into the hock joint.

Hope this helps????