Any Birman breeders (or knowledgeable owners) on here?

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
I'm thinking of buying a Birman kitten, but I'm not sure about how much to pay and neither is the owner so I'm looking for ideas. The price range seems to be between £800 to £1500 from my online research, but I'm not au fait with breed standards in any great detail. I'm not looking to breed myself, or to show, so I'd be happy with a boy or a girl because both would be neutered and neither needs to be on the breeding register. Any ideas welcome re price or things to look for when buying a Birman, as opposed to just buying a kitten of any breed. I keep reading about different health issues, but they contradict each other and so do the grooming requirements, so I'd rather get the opinion of someone who knows about Birmans if possible :)

P3LH

Visit site
We have one. She’s a ‘silver’ Birman, there’s a chinchilla Persian further back in her pedigree as an outcross to bring in the silver gene. My understanding is it’s very difficult to get silver or silver tabby ‘points’ in line with the standard so you have lots of ‘surplus’ solid silver tabby’s.

Willow is the most beautiful cat in the world. Willow is also the most destructive cat in the world - and we’ve had a lot of cats! She chews electric cabling and has destroyed various television, phone chargers, kettles etc whilst nearly killing herself several times. Even with cable coverings, she manages to get around them - genius, as birmans are. Despite having a huge scratch post she destroys most of the house at will. She has LOTS of toys and activity toys/boredom busters, plus an outdoor run and other cat and dogs etc for company, yet is still very destructive. Usually if you’ve told her off for something! I would describe her as ‘actively naughty’ she definitely goes out of her way to be a pain, then gets away with things by fluttering her big princess Diana’esque eyes!

She likes fuss on her terms, but isn’t a pick me up/cuddle cat, but she does often like to sit with you in the sofa. She is a very confident cat who’s favourite past time is jumping out at visitors and battering/chasing the dogs (the youngest is actively scared of her!) at times of household stress e.g when I was in hospital with covid last year, when we had one of our dogs put down, when we had a new bathroom fitted she would thread pull a lot so had to be watched for that too.

A very playful breed, she’ll fetch like a dog etc which is quite entertaining.

Really stunning cats, I especially like the seal tabby points - but she is quite a lot of cat to live with. I think she’s too bright/strong willed really. The friend who bred her has quite a lot of birmans and they’re all quite similar so whether it’s just that line, I don’t know.

They are stunning but I personally think, quite naughty! Huge character! Very bossy! Makes my non cat person OH’s life hell too as makes a sport of hunting her!

She cost us £800 4 years ago, I don’t think prices have fluctuated much since. We did try and take a litter from her twice, to no avail. She’s too busy behaving like Motörhead on tour for motherhood me thinks!

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
Ha ha, she sounds like a real handful. I've always owned Burmese until my last girl died and they are very similar sounding on the behaviour front. They follow you round, even to the loo and are always looking for something naughty to do to get your attention. I had no towels left at one point because one of mine would shred them until they were a collection of long strings! They could open doors and let the dogs (and less intelligent cats) into any room, particularly ones they weren't allowed in. One of them even opened a window and pushed another cat out! I came into the room as she was doing it. Luckily the other cat was only winded :rolleyes:

I think that, compared to my Cornish Rex girls, a Birman might be sedate, however. I've never known cats like these - always on the go, seem to need no sleep and leave a trail of destruction in their wake! They are very loving though and I think they are incredibly elegant. I like my animals to be either tall and rangy or small and fluffy I think!

Shady

Visit site
I've had 3 Snowy darling and have just read P3LHs post with interest and a few nods in agreement!
Im going back over 20 years now , so they might have changed
My blue point boy was a force to be reckoned with and although affectionate could throw a strop like nothing iv'e ever seen. Complete with hammering his back legs against doors and refusing to be moved from any place or house he chose to ' own ' . Many an intimidated neighbour back then when my cats were free, would ask me to come and remove him from a chair or bedroom pillow .
As a kitten he was adorable. Super cuddly and interacted well with the Grems but as an adult he preferred outside and had little to do with the other cats, although he was never mean to them, just aloof. Perhaps if he'd never known freedom he'd have stayed closer , I dont know , but the later lilac girls were the same. Very close as kittens but independant as adults . Lovely characters but compared to the needy Grems, much more distant and not really lap cats, although they adored being fussed on their terms.
Ziggy the boy was almost show quality and possesssed perfect gauntlets , a beautiful heart shaped face and fabulous clear blue eyes. Big and massively boned, he weighed nearly 7 kilos . The girls were a lot smaller and very pretty.
They don't really need brushing ( or didn't back then) as unlike Persians their coats don't matt
Ive no idea what they cost Snowy but personally, much of their appeal is in their looks and wondeful gauntlets so I would want a good one, otherwise you might as well get a lovely Ragdoll , Chinchilla Persian or British longhair. All of those breeds would possibly better suit a more indoor life with the Rex's . I loved my Birmans , they were wonderful, but the Persians and British i've had have been better suited in character to life in a multicat household with ' The Mad Ones '
They do need brushing though
Always , always happy to have a look at breeders and kittens for you. xxxxx

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
I'm not sure whether to be amused or alarmed by that description of the Birman breed Shady darling ?I'm still coming to terms with the Cornish Rex sisters' exuberant take on life. Their exercise wheel has been in perpetual motion since we put it up (do they ever need a rest?) and I've virtually doubled their feed rations over recent weeks because they are so thin that they really can't afford to exercise it all off. The vet says they're fine, but shouldn't be any thinner - eek!

The lady whose kittens I'm going to look at when they're a bit older is a first time breeder who's being guided by her experienced breeder friend and I'm not sure of any breed prefixes etc yet, but I'll let you know more info when I get it my cat guru friend, thank you xx

Shady

Visit site
I'm not sure whether to be amused or alarmed by that description of the Birman breed Shady darling ?I'm still coming to terms with the Cornish Rex sisters' exuberant take on life. Their exercise wheel has been in perpetual motion since we put it up (do they ever need a rest?) and I've virtually doubled their feed rations over recent weeks because they are so thin that they really can't afford to exercise it all off. The vet says they're fine, but shouldn't be any thinner - eek!

The lady whose kittens I'm going to look at when they're a bit older is a first time breeder who's being guided by her experienced breeder friend and I'm not sure of any breed prefixes etc yet, but I'll let you know more info when I get it my cat guru friend, thank you xx
Please do Snowy love , and thank you for your kind pm xxx.
It would be good for me and who doesn't like looking at gorgeous kittens and nosing at pedigrees.
My oldest breeder friend in Devon bred my Birmans and all of my original Gremkitties. It's possible she still has contacts, tho she stopped with the Birmans many years ago.

Nothing wrong with a first time breeder if the line is sound and she has support. Better sometimes if the birth has gone well as the kittens get handled more and watched more closely . Everybody has to start somewhere.
As to the wee Rex's ... how wonderful that you got them a wheel :):). Sometimes you have to up the meat content percentage in wet food if they are super active or make sure the dried is really really good to compensate if you dont want to risk upset stomachs changing the wet food . They are also very young and from the photos I saw of them, very modern type so I wouldnt worry , just keep them topped up ! They will naturally slow down a little and put on weight as they mature. xx

Umbongo

Visit site
Not any help regarding breeders or costs, but I just wanted to say that Burmese are (literally) pussycats compared to Birmans :D
From my experience of working in a vets and seeing a lot of exotic cats, Birmans can be VERY sassy.

Last edited:

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
Not any help regarding breeders or costs, but I just wanted to say that Burmese are (literally) pussycats compared to Birmans :D
From my experience of working in a vets and seeing a lot of exotic cats, Birmans are VERY sassy!

Aw, maybe I should leave it then? I’m not committed yet. Running a cattery may have made me overconfident that I can look after all sorts of cats, but I am getting on a bit so perhaps Birmans are for younger people ?

Umbongo

Visit site
Sorry didn't mean to put you off, rather point out that in my experience they are quite different to Burmese in terms of their behaviour. I know many people with Birmans who love them and wouldn't hesitate to get another, they just like most things to be on their terms more so than other breeds I have come across. I am not sure if it is the same in the UK as here in NZ, but here they also have the Birman "huff" when they are displeased :p Otherwise they are pretty affectionate and friendly cats!

Btomkins

Visit site
My aunt used to breed Birmans and sadly her last boy of 15 years passed away this weekend. To be honest I don’t recognise any of the above descriptions here which goes to show how much they vary. My aunts were the most sedate and lovely house cats who would sleep all day and then come for a lovely cuddle in an evening. Her stud had a bit more attitude but I guess that’s to be expected, but even so I helped take him showing when I was about 12 and could easily bath and handle him. All her cats had excellent natures and to be brutally honest I always thought they were a bit dim!

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
No worries Umbongo ? I might well be making the wrong decision, so it’s good to have as many facts as possible. I’ve loved the ones I’ve looked after in the cattery, but I did the same with my Cornish girls and they’re a real handful! Gorgeous though and sooooo loving ?

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
My aunt used to breed Birmans and sadly her last boy of 15 years passed away this weekend. To be honest I don’t recognise any of the above descriptions here which goes to show how much they vary. My aunts were the most sedate and lovely house cats who would sleep all day and then come for a lovely cuddle in an evening. Her stud had a bit more attitude but I guess that’s to be expected, but even so I helped take him showing when I was about 12 and could easily bath and handle him. All her cats had excellent natures and to be brutally honest I always thought they were a bit dim!

I have to admit I’ve found similar with cattery cat breeds. We’ve had amazingly sweet and affectionate Bengals, for instance who wanted us to carry them round like babies, whilst others wished us dead! I’ve looked after the mother of the kitten I’m hoping to buy and she’s simply adorable ? Hopefully, her offspring will inherit her loving nature?

Shady

Visit site
I have to admit I’ve found similar with cattery cat breeds. We’ve had amazingly sweet and affectionate Bengals, for instance who wanted us to carry them round like babies, whilst others wished us dead! I’ve looked after the mother of the kitten I’m hoping to buy and she’s simply adorable ? Hopefully, her offspring will inherit her loving nature?
Snowy love don't be put off . Genetics play a huge role in character. Many breeders forget that most important part in the drive for type.
From my point I do agree however on the sassy and on their terms comments. That fits with mine, but the girls were also gentle and put up with a lot from the Grems mad antics. Ziggy was hilarious and loving but he liked having his own way and he did have a long period of freedom before we bought our first house and penned in the garden
Because I love having a multi cat household and breeds like Orientals and Siamese have always been my first passion I look at balancing energy in the house . I balance their loonacy with non confrontational breeds rather than keep the household in constant motion with all the cats going '' me, me , me'' . I would never bring a shy , one person breed in like an Abyssinian, but the British and Chinchilla Persians have been absolutely wonderful . They are affectionate but very layed back, so fit in perfectly and I so love big chunky cats almost as much as I love my Grems.
So please don't rule a Birman out if your heart is set on one and the mother is lovely . The only thing I really don't know is whether you should get a boy or girl if you do decide to get one, and it will make a difference. I'm tempted to say girl but in honesty I would ask for advice from the experienced breeder friend on that as your two Rex's are girls.

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
I remember years ago going to Southam zoo when it was still in existence. Only a little zoo and mostly big cats I think. However they had a wire pen full of Birman cats, no idea why but I do know we spent most of our time their making up to them. They were so pretty and so friendly, would happily have taken one home and have a had a soft spot for them ever since.

P3LH

Visit site
I also wouldn’t be put off by any of the above, I think it’s just worth knowing the good, the bad and the ugly of any breed. Mine is a destructive and sassy madam, but beautiful and a great character - and very interactive, like a dog she enjoys being a part of whatever is going on. All of the quirks and naughtiness I love, it’s only her destructiveness that drives me bonkers. That really could be a family line thing more than breed thing. Sadly the same though about temperament and pet suitability that is a driving force with many pedigree dog breeders isn’t as widely found in pedigree cat breeders. Many focus too much on standard points and forget majority of their kittens will not live in a cattery but as a part of the family. Again, like with dogs this won’t apply to all but there is certainly work to be done with pedigree cat breeding in my honest opinion.

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
Thank you again everyone for your help. It’s making me think, but in a good way ?

I met the breeder’s neighbour today and she was raving about the kittens and saying how lovely they were. I’ve not seen them yet, but I’ll ask if I can take photos when I do. I’m holding off buying kitten things until I’ve made my decision, but I’m looking at tiny beds and kitten toys as I stand here behind heaps of glorious cake and no customers ??‍♀️???‍♀️ Where is everyone?

Update: the customers turned up in the end ?

Last edited:

Ratface

Visit site
Ha ha, she sounds like a real handful. I've always owned Burmese until my last girl died and they are very similar sounding on the behaviour front. They follow you round, even to the loo and are always looking for something naughty to do to get your attention. I had no towels left at one point because one of mine would shred them until they were a collection of long strings! They could open doors and let the dogs (and less intelligent cats) into any room, particularly ones they weren't allowed in. One of them even opened a window and pushed another cat out! I came into the room as she was doing it. Luckily the other cat was only winded :rolleyes:

I think that, compared to my Cornish Rex girls, a Birman might be sedate, however. I've never known cats like these - always on the go, seem to need no sleep and leave a trail of destruction in their wake! They are very loving though and I think they are incredibly elegant. I like my animals to be either tall and rangy or small and fluffy I think!
My Burmese was known locally as The Killer Burmese! He even tried to kill his female companion Abyssinian cat, who was his accomplice in their Burmese-led escapades. Zeus (pronounced "Zoos" as in faux gangland snarl) was an accomplished thief - underwear, outerwear, human food, including half a cooked chicken and a whole packet of smoked salmon - and led AbbyCat on dangerous missions, such as leading her along a long very narrow breakwater fence across a fiercely tidal river. I caught him trying to drown her: pushing her underwater, his powerful front paw on her head. In the end, I rehomed her, as I became aware that he was determined to rule, and he would kill her if necessary.
After Heera went, he was more settled and became my fond shadow.
He did me a great service by determinedly sitting on the lap of my loathsome BIL, who hated cats. When HBIL tried to push him off, he dug in his long, sharp claws even more firmly! He tolerated the dogs, (GSD's) and sat on the horses' backs, balancing with no claws, even when they were led into fields/stables. He lived until 18, and died peacefully one night, stretched out alongside me, under the duvet. Undoubtedly now in Cat Heaven, causing trouble!
Heera lived until 16, and was a much-loved pub cat in the next-door village.

Ratface

Visit site
PS. Re Zoos: during the daytime, prior to his passing, he dragged an live avocet (large, tall river wading bird, big wing span) through the small portlight in the wheelhouse. I had quite a battle to get him to relinquish his prize! Another favourite was to kill rats: I would get up to find a row of whiskered noses, tails and kidneys lined up on the sole (floor) of the wheelhouse on a regular basis.

Snowy Celandine

Visit site
An avocet?!! ? Zeus was one determined hunter ? I normally only got shrews. Lots of shrews. Think several per hour on a ‘good’ day from my best hunter. She was a firecracker of a cat who’d arch her back and hiss at interlopers, but she’d also take kittens and puppies under her wing and devote her life to them until the she deemed them old enough to leave her care. She kept one ‘kitten’ until he was eight and sadly died. He never actually learned to wash himself because she did everything for him ??‍♀️ He wasn’t even related to her, apart from way back in their respective pedigrees.