Any chance of sun? Mid April Weekend Plans

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Sounds like a lovely weekend of plans AE.

I have a ridden lesson tomorrow which I am really looking forward to. It's going to be sunny and warm! I do hope my progress from a couple of weeks ago sticks and that I have a bit more success in canter this time.

Then Oxstalls are running BE in place of another abandoned event so I'm having my first BE volunteering experience to write for dressage on Sunday morning which I am also looking forward to :)

millitiger

Visit site
We went to BD Nationals for Elem Petplans yesterday.
We had an amazing lesson on Monday and then he had physio so expected him to feel pretty good... You shouldn't expect anything from a horse!! 🤣
Warmed up like a block of wood, didn't want to yield to leg or hand or seat.
Thankfully top trainer arrived to give me a 10 minute pep talk before I cried!

The test still didn't feel like one of his good ones BUT I know I rode as well as I could and he wasn't naughty at all, just a little bleugh.

We got over 68% and head judge at C had us on over 70%, even had some 8s.
I'm pleased as I guess our basic work is improving enough that, even on a not great day, he can score quite well.
We ended up 8th out of over 30, so I'm proud of my boy. They aren't robots, he is usually super reliable, so put it behind us and back training.
He can have a good few days off now as I'm off to Wales camping with my dog!

Screenshot_20240412-073009.png

Last edited:

Titchy Pony

Visit site
I also started with a sunshine hack last night with Enormosaurus. It was our second solo hack and she was so much more relaxed than the first one. A little planting on the way out (her friend was calling from the field), not exactly straight line traveling as we had to avoid the scary stones and logs on the side of the road, but really good aside from having a look. And her biggest spook just as we reached the yard and a foal stuck its head out of its window and neighed!
Dressage lesson tomorrow and jumping lesson Saturday. Sunday is the departmental championships but I won't be participating this year as Enormosaurus still hasn't been to an outside venue and we don't want to stress her out on a day when everyone will be feeling highly competitive. I will be dropping by to watch though with the dogs after dog club. Mr Metronome, my ride from last year is doing the dressage again with another rider, so I hope they place well.

nikkimariet

Visit site
Pet plan champs for Rooni on weds and Thurs. PSG was tense (no first halt, I messed up a walk half piri and then biffed the last 4). 64% and 5th out of 18. Sideways rain and wind just as we started didn’t help but such is life! Inter 1 loads better just a bit brittle in places like the rein back for 66% and 3rd out of 22. Really good boy couldn’t have given me any more. I rode my canter piris big to keep the confidence and rhythm up too which dropped us a little.

T35_0211_242  -  Nicole Turner and J Eton Hit LDS.jpeg

He's having a few days off which he more than deserves and then he’s going jumping on Sunday :) no competing until the end of May now.

j1ffy

Visit site
Not a lot here. Chilli had his vet visit and he has some noticeable bony changes in his hocks, looks like it started years ago and he's only 7, has had a pretty easy life so far too :(. His front hooves, where he had issues last year, look good and his back is also good. He had steroid injections in his hocks on Tuesday so he's having an easy week, then I'm on hols for a week so will reassess when I get back. TBH I'm relieved we did find something as we'd hit a complete dead-end with the schooling, but clearly would prefer him to be 100% sound!

Horses eh - why do we do it?!

ihatework

Visit site
Sun is going to be out tomorrow so might make the most of it in the new field. Got some wire to remove out of one fence line and I’ve spotted some ragwort just starting to grow, so will dig that. Then local sheep’s should be arriving for their free maintenance services.

Otherwise pony patting!

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Not too much for me. I've just had 3 vaccinations this morning to prep me for my upcoming South Africa horseback safari expedition. They said I may feel off colour for a few days, so I am taking it easy.

Well, apart from Salsa dancing tonight, a Parkrun in the morning and open water swimming on Sunday! But all of those are pay as you go, so if I'm off colour I can just quit or not go. I will also ride at home both hacking and schooling, but not much else. The nurse said to keep going if I feel OK but I may have a temperature and fever, so who knows?

SEL

Visit site
Hacked in the sun this morning - I'd forgotten what it felt like! Bridlepaths all still grim but the microcob got out on the grass last night (just after we left looking at the poo trail) so she was bloated and wheezy and not up for a long one. Still had a good blast along her favourite field margin though.

I've entered her in the e-riders Prix caprilli because you can do them bitless. Never school her and I'm in a dressage saddle so my OH can have a giggle tomorrow videoing that. She's got quite a pop on her too

YourValentine

Visit site
Not too much for me. I've just had 3 vaccinations this morning to prep me for my upcoming South Africa horseback safari expedition. They said I may feel off colour for a few days, so I am taking it easy.

Well, apart from Salsa dancing tonight, a Parkrun in the morning and open water swimming on Sunday! But all of those are pay as you go, so if I'm off colour I can just quit or not go. I will also ride at home both hacking and schooling, but not much else. The nurse said to keep going if I feel OK but I may have a temperature and fever, so who knows?
When I rode after my yellow fever jab, I realised mid canter that I had lost all strength in my arms and they ached.

Horse had a ball as he got to canter till he got bored as I couldn't stop 😅 (thankfully we were just lapping a large field)

I'd felt fine tacking up, but then struggled to change gears driving home.

Last edited:

SaddlePsych'D

Visit site
Oooh my lesson was so good! Did my left leg magically get less grippy? No, no it did not. Although both legs were much improved. I have physio next week to chat to about more exercises I can do between lessons to help my wonky-ness because I am also sitting to the right without noticing it, then when it's corrected it feels totally wrong. I did believe my instructor when she corrected me but it felt so weird she took a photo to show me!

No canter this time, bit glad of that as back on Mr 17.3hh and for some reason he seemed even taller than the first two times I have ridden him! Also the gripping thing still happening quite a bit so it was helpful to work on that as it's what happens in canter so if I can crack it in walk and trot hopefully I will have more success with the canter next time I try.

There were glimmers of good work though, as always need to get more consistent. We worked on centre line turns bend and straightness, and nailed it on the right but the left is my trickier side so those were not so good (but did improve). Loads of no stirrup walking which helped my hips out.

I am so pleased my instructor is not just giving me a whip to paper over things to get the transitions, and actually correcting the issues in my seat and leg aids. The difference in movement is incredible (also sometimes scary so I have to remind myself forward = good thing!)

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Hoping to pop down to Addington to have a watch of the inter 1 freestyle and a peruse of the shops.

Then out with the Bean on Sun do will see if she has her teachers pet hat on or her teenager hat 😅
I was meant to be going and meeting my friend who is competing I was going to stay over in her lorry but I'm not going now.

Have a good day weather looks decent at least.

little_critter

Visit site
No pony plans for me because he continues to be off games. But we’ve had sun for 2 days in a row!
It was tee shirt weather on Friday.
I thing my face caught the sun a little yesterday. I can’t believe it….is this spring??

TheMule

Visit site
Nova went to his first BS show yesterday, I haven’t really had much time or head space for a few weeks for family reasons but it was lovely to go out in the sunshine. I did manage to stuff up my horse's chances by not tightening my girth enough before I went in (he has got a bit fat and roly-poly 😳) and actually had to stop mid jump-off to tighten my girth 🫣 Haven’t done that since Pony Club days!!

IMG_1956.jpeg

Cloball

Visit site

I love your definition of taking it easy 😅

I had a 2 day professional exam Tuesday Wednesday so I haven't ridden or done anything with D for 10 days. Took Thursday off work as my brain was mushy and had a short lesson in the sunshine. D was perfectly sweet feeling forward and supple but we didn't push it too much a we were both a sweaty mess 🥵 quite quickly. Fluffy back pony and unexpected 18 degrees. Weathers looking up until I offered to bring in the liveries yesterday evening and it poured with 50mph winds. Very proud as mine had to be left until last and she was still the best behaved. She's come quite far from the anxious bargy pony that scared me last year.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
I love your definition of taking it easy 😅
Well, we only went for an hour dancing. The Parkrun was my slowest time all year, I just jig jogged round.

Yesterday's schooling was a little jump at home. My arena is somewhat compact. Poor BH had to use his ass 🤣

Today's swim has been swapped as my partner and I are going to take the bikes out on the roof of the car and cycle somewhere nice. A quick walk round the village for BH before we go, I think.

Hope everyone else's weekend is going well. I can feel the sun warming my bones: we even had breakfast outside under the gazebo!

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Lottie ❤️ ❤️ !!

My first Discovery Class and I was so nervous. I rode BN first - we are now in the Open class - and placed 6th with a forward clear. Super happy with how I rode and how she responded. This was a lot less hesiatant and tenative than I have been in the past which makes for a much smoother round! Then Discovery. It just looked mahoosive! Felt like a HUGE step up for me. But she was jumping beautifully until I skipped fence 8 by mistake, going straight form 7 to 9. Oops. But clever Lottie thinks she was clear and it was very confidence giving for me to ride at that height and for her to make it feel easy. She makes me 😁 😁

Second rounds are in 2 weeks. Bring it on!

There was a photogtrapher there so hopefully she got some good pics.

A friend was videoing while also dealing with her horse so missed the Disc and the BN is a bit far away/blurry. They look a lot smaller on screen than IRL!

The BN course.

Accidental Eventer

Visit site
Henry and I had a great lesson at dressage club on Saturday. A real lightbulb type lesson, and he worked great and I rode well. It just felt like a few things clicked in. No idea when we are going to do actual dressage next but when we do I think we will feel quite prepared.

Coolie and I went hacking yesterday as we are preparing to dip our toes into *whisper* endurance! He at the ripe old age of 21! But he loves hacking and is plenty fit to do a 20km intro ride with some friends. i am quite excited!

Alibear

Visit site
Amber and I had a lovely time in the sunshine. The clinic went well, and she did some nice ranch pattern run-throughs indoors; then, we decided to stay in the outdoor arena in the sunshine after lunch, so we did trail. Trail is not usually our thing; it's very precise and supposed to be slow; in western horse terms, Amber doesn't do slow.
But we haven't done trail for 12 months, and she seemed to really enjoy it; she was settled enough to do some lope-overs and didn't even play football with the poles, which is her normal go-to when they're out.
Sunday was show day, very relaxed atmosphere and a very small show, but I prefer that and Amber was a star, she loves Ranch trail, this is more obstacles like a bridge, gate, and log drag than the 10s of poles in standard trail. So she can get a move on, and she seems to love getting to the next obstacle. She does these classes with her ears locked forward the whole way around. I was dallying the rope on the move and forgot to focus on where we needed to go, but Amber had spotted the cone and locked straight onto it.
She won that class, then onto the straight ranch patterns, so some rustic poles wider than show jump poles but then more like a dressage test where the moves come fast. She won the novice, 2nd in the open and then 1st in versatility ranch horse pattern. Class sizes were small, but there were some good combinations forward, so I'm really pleased with her. The aim is to score 70 or more, and we achieved this in every pattern.

Attachments

• Outdoor trail small.jpg
    Outdoor trail small.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

dorsetladette

Visit site
Isn't it lovely to have a dry weekend!

Well done everyone who's been out and about.

I took Robin out on his first little hack yesterday. I'm still on cloud nine! He was a little superstar. I had a foot soldier with lead rope in hand in case anything went south, but he was fine. Less confident than he is in hand and looked at a few things but it was just a stop and look. One occasion he tried a little nap, but is was a 'I'm really not sure of this mum' kind of thing. we stopped looked for a minute and then carried on (giving the round bale in the gate way a bit more room than normal). He really marched out nice and confidently with his ears pricked, even with his mates calling for him from the field. I'm going to do another little walk out one evening in the week and then at the weekend too.

All the ground work with him from day dot is really paying off.