Any Clydesdale people out there?

Batgirl

Visit site
I'm currently shopping for my dream horse, purebred Clydesdale 😁😁😁😁

Are there any Clydesdale enthusiasts that fancy asking random questions that I can't find an answer to easily on Google?

One thing I have discovered is that the breeding world is small and the breeders aren't find out each other! Crikey!

Lintel

Visit site
I'm currently shopping for my dream horse, purebred Clydesdale 😁😁😁😁

Are there any Clydesdale enthusiasts that fancy asking random questions that I can't find an answer to easily on Google?

One thing I have discovered is that the breeding world is small and the breeders aren't find out each other! Crikey!

Sorry no but I thought I'd pipe up with this link
https://www.dragondriving.co.uk/horseforsale-122758.html
Popped up when browsing the other day- he looks beautiful!

abbijay

Visit site
Hi!!!
I have a fabulous ridden clydesdale (he'll never be for sale) and I'm happy to answer what questions I can - I'm far from an expert but I@ve had mine for 9 years and I've been around them for longer.
Which breeders have you come across? Given your location Bedfords will be the major breeders in your area but there are plenty of others, I've got an Arclid horse bred in Cheshire. If you're willing to cross the border you shouldn't be short of options.
I'm sure I saw a 3yo gelding for sale recently but I'd have to trawl FB to find it.
Go big or go home! You won't regret it.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have had 2 Clyde mares and a Shire mare, they are absolutely fabulous!

But, a word of caution, I bought the first one many years ago and she stayed with us until she was a very old lady who was only pts because of age-related problems. The 2nd Clyde was pts aged 11, she had internal bleeding, thought to be caused by a ruptured tumour and the Shire was pts aged 6, with what we now believve was undagosed PPID. The gene pool is so small that in-breeding cannot be avoided and, combined with their size that seems to be resulting in health problems.
I decided after the Shire, to avoid them, buying a Westphalian Kaltblut (Draft) mare who was only 16hh and lived to be 23.

Batgirl

Visit site
Abbijay - Ah great stuff, it is all the little silly questions that you can't find an answer to!
Pearlsasinger - noted but still the dream so heartbreak or not a clydie it will be!

Bedfords are on it for me - had an almost perfect one, understand why he wasn't and are looking around for me.
Been to see Matthew G King - nothing really the age I want.
Currently got Gary at Dapple Clydesdales looking for me - he says he can find me a 'right good one' for my budget :) Also invited me to Stanhope show to see how it is all done and show me conformation stuff :)

One thing I have learned, the breeders either love or hate each other!! Crikey the looks and grunts you get if mentioning a different breeder!

So on to random questions!
What are spats for?? Turn out? pre show? Just a fancy waste of money??
Am I right in thinking when showing in hand it is agricultural wear (i.e. white coat and not tweeds etc?)
Do I need to check which society classes are run after as it seems some are 'heavy horse' and some are 'clydesdale'
Plaiting - any links to a video that is actually clydesdale plaiting? they all seem to be Shires and start with 'clydesdales are done differently'
Pig Oil and Sulphur - I used this on my previous horse (unfeathered) to help mud not cling - same thing? do I work it into the feathers massagey like?
How do you prevent mane rubbing out? (I plan to do dressage so will be clipping hence needing to rug argh!

cblover

Visit site
Hi there, clydesdale owner here. I’ve got a 3 year old filly and she’s just fab. Gary Gorman at Dapple Clyde Stud is a good friend of mine and found Scrappy for me. He’s a great guy, give him a ring and he’ll sort you out. He’s near Darlington.

I’m hsppy to chat clydesdale all day and night f I can help with any questions, please just shout up. Exciting times!

abbijay

Visit site
Abbijay - Ah great stuff, it is all the little silly questions that you can't find an answer to!
Pearlsasinger - noted but still the dream so heartbreak or not a clydie it will be!

Bedfords are on it for me - had an almost perfect one, understand why he wasn't and are looking around for me.
Been to see Matthew G King - nothing really the age I want.
Currently got Gary at Dapple Clydesdales looking for me - he says he can find me a 'right good one' for my budget :) Also invited me to Stanhope show to see how it is all done and show me conformation stuff :)

One thing I have learned, the breeders either love or hate each other!! Crikey the looks and grunts you get if mentioning a different breeder!

So on to random questions!
What are spats for?? Turn out? pre show? Just a fancy waste of money??
Am I right in thinking when showing in hand it is agricultural wear (i.e. white coat and not tweeds etc?)
Do I need to check which society classes are run after as it seems some are 'heavy horse' and some are 'clydesdale'
Plaiting - any links to a video that is actually clydesdale plaiting? they all seem to be Shires and start with 'clydesdales are done differently'
Pig Oil and Sulphur - I used this on my previous horse (unfeathered) to help mud not cling - same thing? do I work it into the feathers massagey like?
How do you prevent mane rubbing out? (I plan to do dressage so will be clipping hence needing to rug argh!

Kings will be top money, some will be cracking quality, some might not be... If you have a budget have you considered looking to the Irish (and NI) breeders? They're generally much cheaper but you often see nice 3yo popping up from there.
I know you've said it has to be a clydesdale but have you considered a shire? I only ask because a breeder I am friends with breeds both but has a lot of success with clydesdale looking horses with shire horse registration. The breeds have been heavily interbred and still can be through the grading up registers that you might get what you want with a different passport, plus it may give you more showing opportunities in England.

Spats - I've never bothered with them. They are used in the field, stable, etc to prevent cutting of the feathers. Personally I've not had massive trouble, a little on the inside hinds but we aren't planning on going to Hoys so I've just ignored it and never been marked down for it - we were generally marked down for being too light as mine has been kept fit enough to event.
I have always shown in hand in tweed and trousers but I have only done mixed heavy horse classes, I think GYS is the most southern CHS affiliated show so that might be different but as a general rule clydesdales shown south of the border are not shown in white coats, you will mark yourself out as an amateur if you go in a mix breed class with a white coat on.
Most shows in my area run shire classes with a mixed breed open gelding class. Some run an open mares or geldings class. This may limit your opportunities to show in hand if that's your thing. Ridden wise if it is BRHHS it needs to be a single breed, properly registered horse, (i.e. it can't be a shire x clydesdale or in the shire horse B register) and I think this is similar for BD Draught horse champs but don't hold me to that.
Plaiting, I'm sure there is a video on youtube.
Pig Oil - I don't use it, we're not in a muddy area and it's so flipping messy!
Mane - your biggest challenge will be to find one without sweetitch! It is very common. I do clip and rug (I assume you don't mean clip the legs out a la Boston Deluxe for dressage based on your spats question, showing will be out if you do clip them) but as a rule I don't use neck covers except in the worst weather and even then they're detachable ones. You certainly won't be unusual to have a ridden clydesdale clipped in winter!
Good luck x

Batgirl

Visit site
Thank you so much :)

Yes definitely want a Clyde and I am aware of the cross breeding stuff :)

I'm in a horrifically muddy area! I'll interrogate Gary next week on the oil/feathers bit then!

Awesome about the in hand stuff - it is so mixed!

Yes and the BD stuff is important as that is going to be its main job and it does need to be registered.

Super helpful thank you again!