Any Darley horse or Ex-Racer owners that can offer advice for a potential owner?

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Hi all,

For the last two years I've been looking forward to 2013 not only as it's the year I get married, but also because OH has agreed that I can get a new horse once the wedding is over and done with :D

I'd always imagined I'd take on an ex-racer as I like the idea of being able to give a forever home to a horse in need of a second chance, but now I'm getting a bit panicked that I may be biting off more than I can chew and might be better off looking at privately listed horses.

I've been riding for 23 years now, though the last few years I've not ridden as much and as such would consider myself a little rusty. I find that whilst I get a little wobbly and nervous when I'm about to mount a new horse I soon settle back into the swing of things and have even been helping bring on a friend's youngster for the last few months. Again as soon as I'm in the saddle everything clicks into place and I feel competent again, it's just mounting that panics me (no idea why!). I suspect as soon as I'm riding more regularly this will pass and am planning to have lessons between now and when I get a new horse to try and conquer the nerves.

In the past I've owned and loaned horses including arabs, ISH and an ex-racer that was almost straight off the track (she later became a broodmare as she just didn't take to being a happy hacker) so I'm happy with a horse that's a bit fiery but want something that can continue to help me grow my confidence.

I've applied to Darley as I like the sound of their rehabilitation programme and definitely want to own the horse over loaning but wondered if there are any Darley horse owners out there who could give me a bit more info on what their horse is like and whether they needed a lot of bringing on after leaving Darley? I understand that a lot of this will be down to the individual horses character but any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

As a side note, I'm intending to have weekly lessons with my new horse so am willing to put in the extra work needed but want the horse to be safe and sane (or as safe and sane as any horse can be!) from the offset.

Hobnobs for anyone who got to the end of this :)

glamourpuss

Visit site
Why not also have a chat to the Thoroughbred Rehabilitation Centre, they often hold open days etc giving lots of advice.

If you are on Twitter try following/ contacting @lifeafterracing
Also Fred & Rowena Cook at www.equinetraining.co.uk can offer loads of help, advice & discounts on training & tack :)

GlamourPuss86

Visit site
I applies to darley a couple of months ago and heard zilch, ditto the other rehoming places. Knowledgeable home experienced with ex racers waiting to take one on and nothing. Circumstances have changed now so wouldn't be able to take one on.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
GlamourPuss86 - That's a shame. I only applied a few weeks back but mentioned on my application that I was unable to take anything on prior to September so don't really expect to hear anything until nearer the time. I plan to give them a call in July just to check in with them and see if it sounds likely that something suitable will come up.

Amy567

Visit site
I applies to darley a couple of months ago and heard zilch, ditto the other rehoming places. Knowledgeable home experienced with ex racers waiting to take one on and nothing. Circumstances have changed now so wouldn't be able to take one on.

I too applied about a month ago, I even messaged different racehorse trainers (though state you are willing to pay otherwise they ignore you) One of the ladies said she had sent one to them called Dr Harry Who (Harry on their site) and I asked them about him, still heard absolutely nothing. I've currently got a TB and want one for SJ and RC activities, brought on youngsters etc, and still nothing. They obviously have a high demand or something. I'm getting one vetted that's been retrained by the racehorse trainer themselves, that's worth a try :) Email all the trainers in your area asking if they have any ex-racers available, willing to pay, need to be in retraining etc. Most of them get back to you within a couple of weeks :)

Tammytoo

Visit site
Think very hard about taking on an ex racehorse. You will need to start from scratch to re-train one e.g. lots don't stand still to be mounted, as the lads are just legged up and away to the gallops. Taking up a contact can mean go faster, dropping the reins slow down and stop! Some are not used to being tied up or to be hacked out alone. You really need to start off as though the horse is unbroken.

On the plus side, they are usually very good to handle, brilliant in traffic, try their hearts out for you and not necessarily fiery, some can be real dobbins!

Look at the Retraining of Racehorses (RoR) website and get in touch with the charities. I found that after filling in a form, it was better to look at the horses they had to re-home, choose one that would suit you and ring to ask if you could go and see it.

The rewards can be tremendous, but if it goes wrong you could have ruined a horse's chance of a second job.

leflynn

Visit site
Lots of horses are "in need of a second chance" not just ex-racers...

Very true! Also lots of horses with issues that aren't exracers too ;)

Lucky lady, go with an open mind and a realistic outlook and I am sure you will find a horse that will suit be it an exracer or otherwise that needs a new home. If you find a personality you click with and can learn with then thats the biggest battle.

FWIW I've had more bother with OH's cob than I have with my own exracer (mine is defo easier 99% of the time) :D

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Tammytoo - I was under the impression that the Darley horses would have been reschooled to a certain level where they were happy to stand at a mounting block, had had basic schooling and were ok to hack out. Is this not the case? Having had an ex-racer in my teens that was pretty much fresh off the tracks I can say for certainty that I'm not in the position to start from scratch with an ex-racer but would happily take one on that had had a certain amount of retraining.

Wench/Leflynn - totally agree that it's not just ex-racers in need of a second chance but I am yet to find a rehoming charity that will let you purchase the horse rather than just have it on a long term loan. If you have any suggestions on that front I am all ears :)

glamourpuss

Visit site
Tommytoo is right there can be some things which are different in racing.
That said neither of my ex-racers have taken more than a week & a bit of patience to get to stand at a mounting block.
Picking up the reins doesn't necessarily mean go faster, even the flat horses are warmed up in a walk, trot & canter up to the bridle & into a contact...they don't just slop about on a long rein then gallop. 'Changing hands' is a whole different thing & that can indicate to a racer to go faster.

I love ex-racers. I've got 2 & TBH I can't see me having any other horse :)

Polos Mum

Visit site
You can always go and try one and see how you get on, but lots of other big national charities have horses that need a second chance/ forever home. Blue cross has a lot, redwings, and Bransby (if your local to Lincs) - a much wider choice if you feel an exracer is a little too much

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Thanks Glamourpuss that's really reassuring. Did you re-train your ex-racers yourself or did you take them on after they had had some initial re-training? Obviously I would never take a horse on that I didn't feel comfortable with when trying but also want to make sure I'm not out of my depth with considering taking on an ex-racer in the first place so it's great to hear everyone's personal experiences.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
You can always go and try one and see how you get on, but lots of other big national charities have horses that need a second chance/ forever home. Blue cross has a lot, redwings, and Bransby (if your local to Lincs) - a much wider choice if you feel an exracer is a little too much

Thanks Polos Mum. I think my main concern with the national charities is that you don't have the option of purchasing the horse only to have it on a permanent loan. I know there isn't much difference between the two but I'd much rather know I own the horse outright. I'm based in Surrey but will definitely look into local charities.

HeresHoping

Visit site
...totally agree that it's not just ex-racers in need of a second chance but I am yet to find a rehoming charity that will let you purchase the horse rather than just have it on a long term loan. If you have any suggestions on that front I am all ears :)

Have you had a look on http://horses4homes.net/?

I signed up with Darley's at the beginning of last year. They did send some information through pretty immediately, but it had had operations on its front fetlocks and I turned it down as my intention was to event. Eventually. I heard nothing afterwards even though I chased and chased. Goneshowjumping on here has an absolutely cracking Darley horse that she bought from the field - i.e. had no reschooling.

Two other sites for rehoming http://www.equivivre.co.uk/ - although their FB page is more up to date than their website, and http://www.sourceanexracehorse.co.uk/

Firewell

Visit site
Oooh your in Surrey, try Moorcroft rehoming centre! They will not send you home with something that is not 100% suitable for your needs and the horses go through a full 6 months retraining with them as well so they know the horses inside out.
Also you'll be fine! I'm not a brave rider and Iv'e achieved things I could only dream of with my boy. As long as you have a bit of common sense and a half decent seat you'll be fine xx.

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Oooh your in Surrey, try Moorcroft rehoming centre! They will not send you home with something that is not 100% suitable for your needs and the horses go through a full 6 months retraining with them as well so they know the horses inside out.
Also you'll be fine! I'm not a brave rider and Iv'e achieved things I could only dream of with my boy. As long as you have a bit of common sense and a half decent seat you'll be fine xx.

You have no idea how much better this comment has made me feel! Will definitely have a look at Moorcroft. Thanks xx

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Have you had a look on http://horses4homes.net/?

I signed up with Darley's at the beginning of last year. They did send some information through pretty immediately, but it had had operations on its front fetlocks and I turned it down as my intention was to event. Eventually. I heard nothing afterwards even though I chased and chased. Goneshowjumping on here has an absolutely cracking Darley horse that she bought from the field - i.e. had no reschooling.

Two other sites for rehoming http://www.equivivre.co.uk/ - although their FB page is more up to date than their website, and http://www.sourceanexracehorse.co.uk/

Thanks for this. I hadn't looked at horse4homes but I've just been browsing and it definitely looks promising.

Victoria25

Visit site
Ive had two and both have been the complete opposite so just find the right one for you. I had a 10 year old ex chaser and he was an idiot, you couldnt mount him and would bolt from being calm and chilled two seconds earlier ..
Then a four year old that did very well on the flat, little darling - Id let a child ride her ... keep an open mind and dont go for anything that you have a slight concern about :)

Ring round racing yards as they may have something you could get from the track or TRC who have already reschooled if you're feeling a little rusty ;) x

LynH

Visit site
As you live in Surrey there is a yard nr Guildford that used to be called Hacking With A Difference (can't remember the new name) who use ex-racehorses for their hacks and lessons. If you wanted to get a feel for riding TBs again whilst you are looking they would be worth a try. A few of my friends have hacked with them and really enjoyed it. They may also be able to give you local advice about rehoming an exracer.
I got my exracer direct from her trainer and although it was a lot of work she is so safe and bombproof. She isn't a confidence giving horse and can even now 13 yrs later react to a riders nerves but she is safe and easy to do.
If you can get some more riding and up to date feel for TBs I'm sure you will feel more confident when you are ready to get your own.

Cyrus

Visit site
Contact Elizabeth at Equivivre have 2 or 3 friends with ex racers from her and no complaints what so ever, website is being updated poor Elizabeth hasn't had any Internet connection lately apart from her phone so the Facebook page is a lot more up to date.
She makes sure all the basics are established before they get put up for rehoming and all seem to be very well mannered.
I believe she is looking at doing a demo at her yard this summer looking at the retraining of ex racers and how she and her team go about it so that could be good for you to visit and see if your happy with her methods.
She regularly has training classes too for ex racehorse owners taught by Oliver Townend and Georgie Spence etc

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Hi OP- Id recommend one of the bigger rehoming places. If you look at their websites they do retrain to an extent but they spend a lot of time in matching horses with owners. I myself contacted one a while back and they were very very helpful and chatty.
As for getting one straight out of racing maybe try smaller yards rather than big more commercial places. The yard I work at for instance all the horses are hacked on roads regularly hacked round fields aswell as ridden in the school so are amost half way there already.
My own ex racer came from a bit bigger yard but he stood near anything instantly for me to get on (even wheelie bins out hacking!) so that's not necessarily something too worry about.
Good luck

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
As you live in Surrey there is a yard nr Guildford that used to be called Hacking With A Difference (can't remember the new name) who use ex-racehorses for their hacks and lessons. If you wanted to get a feel for riding TBs again whilst you are looking they would be worth a try. A few of my friends have hacked with them and really enjoyed it. They may also be able to give you local advice about rehoming an exracer.
I got my exracer direct from her trainer and although it was a lot of work she is so safe and bombproof. She isn't a confidence giving horse and can even now 13 yrs later react to a riders nerves but she is safe and easy to do.
If you can get some more riding and up to date feel for TBs I'm sure you will feel more confident when you are ready to get your own.

I used to work for Hacking With A Difference as a teenager which is where my initial love of ex-racers came from. I hadn't thought of going for a hack with them in the meantime but that's such a great idea. Thanks!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site
Contact Elizabeth at Equivivre have 2 or 3 friends with ex racers from her and no complaints what so ever, website is being updated poor Elizabeth hasn't had any Internet connection lately apart from her phone so the Facebook page is a lot more up to date.
She makes sure all the basics are established before they get put up for rehoming and all seem to be very well mannered.
I believe she is looking at doing a demo at her yard this summer looking at the retraining of ex racers and how she and her team go about it so that could be good for you to visit and see if your happy with her methods.
She regularly has training classes too for ex racehorse owners taught by Oliver Townend and Georgie Spence etc

Thanks Cyrus! I've just been in touch with Elizabeth and she's been incredibly helpful. I'm now planning to go to the open day this summer :)

Chester15

Visit site
Another vote for Equivivre - I shall be looking for an ex-racer soon as my current boy is pretty much semi retired and they have been really helpful. Responded almost straight away and said they would be more than happy to help me find the right one when I was ready to look. Good luck

Bestdogdash

Visit site
Hi

I have a horse that I got from Darley 6 months ago. I am over the moon with him.

My experience with them was good. It took about 6 months for them to contact me from application, simply because they a) don't have that many horses and b) they are careful in trying to make a suitable match depending on what the rider wishes to do. Once contact was made Jo was exceptionally helpful - which is probably why I have a great horse that suits me.

My boy needs an experienced rider (I have retrained all of our old P2P and race horses) but that's fine by me. Equally, I could have had a laid back hack if I waited for the right horse.

Hope that helps.