Any Deerhound or Deerhound x owners?

Irishcobs

Visit site
My Deerhound x sings. I don't mean she howls or whines. She properly sings.
She mainly does this when a member of the family leaves her and she can't follow i.e if I go across the field to catch a horse and she can't come with me.
But yesterday she spotted 2 deer and because she couldn't follow (she was on the lead) started to sing.
Anyone else's Deerhounds sing?

Alec Swan

Visit site
I've had several Deerhound/Greyhounds. I've yet to have one that's in any way vocal, far less a songster, BUT..... the most elegant and beautiful of coursing dogs. ;)

Alec.

planete

Visit site
The deerhound x I was looking after last week would sing if he was trying to wheedle something out of me and would join in very loudly if I imitated him. Quite a few lurchers have a 'song' in them!

Irishcobs

Visit site
Apart from her singing she rarely makes a noise. Some times she will whine but never barks.
I've not had one that sings before.

Dry Rot

Visit site
I've never owned a deerhound though I have been sorely tempted!

I don't think deerhounds are meant to "give tongue", are they? So maybe singing is a remnant of barking that's largely been bred out? An interesting question, anyway. They are also meant to hunt exclusively by sight and tracking was discouraged.

I was privileged (?), to see some deerhounds hunting the traditional quarry many many years ago and, at that time, I think it was still legal in Scotland. (And I don't mean hares!).

Although the action of the dogs was very exciting and beautiful, there is no doubt that it was right for the coursing of this quarry to be banned. I still have some photographs somewhere as I was, surprisingly, allowed the freedom to snap away. I suspect most of the participants are long since dead but I have always resisted the impulse to publish for obvious reasons.

Dobiegirl

Visit site
I dont know about Deerhounds but my Dobe bitch Darcy sings, I would describe it as seal like, its not a whine but definately not a sound Ive heard from a dog before. I lived on site with a pack of foxhounds and they used to sing from time to time and its a little bit like that but Dobes have different voices to a Foxhound.

CAYLA

Visit site
I do have one and lost one last year (old boy) non overly vocal, we could get the old lad to howl if OH screamed high pitched:D:D

Anyone looking to offer a lovely home to a deerhound type, there are 2 beautiful ones in a pound near me:(

hobgoblin

Visit site
My deerhound x greyhound sings along beautifully to the grand designs theme tune her two offspring are pretty vocal too, all three could do a voice over for chewbaca in star wars! Lol