Any Equine PHYSIO's here?

HappyHooves

Visit site
I urgently need a little advice for my horse. I live in France where the discipline of Physiotherapy for horses doesn't exist - the closest you can get is a form of Reiki - type laying on of hands. I need exercises for the horse so that we can build up specific muscles as she is struggling to get back to her feet once down. I have the amazing book Exercise your horse's core, but there are no specific exercises there for my horse's needs and at the moment long reining isn't an option. If there is an equine physio here, could you please pm me so that I can explain my horse's problems? TIA (post also in vet forum)

xgemmax

Visit site
I would suggest that if she is struggling to get back up then you need a vet and anyone messaging you on here is unlikely going to be able to help you unfortunately

HappyHooves

Visit site
I have a vet's opinion already xgemmax. trouble is, in my region they only deal with/ have expertise with cows. When I showed the vet the book of core muscle exercises the comment was ' Ah very interesting. We don't do that sort of thing here'. That's why I am trying to do something for the poor horse before she has to be euthanased because no one in this wretched country does physio for horses! So back to my question - can anyone help with advice about exercises please?

Wheels

Visit site
You need to try and seek out an equine vet, even if they are not in your region.

I travelled my horse 180 miles for a bone scan and would do it again in a heartbeat if necessary.

I realise France is bigger than Ireland but there must be decent vets / physios somewhere in the country given the amount of sport horses and racehorses etc.

Auslander

Visit site
Why don't you contact ACPAT to see a, if they have any members in France, or b, if they can put you in touch with a UK physio who can advise you.
As far as I know, there aren't any physios who post on here regularly

Casey76

Visit site
Where are you in France? My new physio (fully qualified) travelled almost 120miles to see me yesterday.

My old physio (also fully qualified) now has a rehab yard in Aquitane and also travels a significant distance.

HappyHooves

Visit site
Thanks Wheels, but I have tried to get an equine vet already! We live in a non-horsey area - just vines I'm afraid. SO anyone with any expertise is either not taking on new clients as they are already overloaded, or they are simply too far away to want to travel here. The only help I get is from a travelling vet who does a 'round' here every month or two and who does acupuncture and some manipulation. He's due in a few weeks time but I don't think time is on our side. My local vet 'does horses' but she has to consullt a book every time we get into something other than the norm! The travel to the nearest equine hospital where there could be help requires about 2.5 hours transport ( which I don't own!) to get there in order to get what? A diagnosis which I already have ( muscle wastage on top of sacroiliac trouble for which she gets acupuncture) and maybe get some exercises to help- hence my attempt at a short cut to do them at home rather than submit a horse who is, to my eye, not going to do well being transported.
You need to try and seek out an equine vet, even if they are not in your region.

I travelled my horse 180 miles for a bone scan and would do it again in a heartbeat if necessary.

I realise France is bigger than Ireland but there must be decent vets / physios somewhere in the country given the amount of sport horses and racehorses etc.

HappyHooves

Visit site
Why don't you contact ACPAT to see a, if they have any members in France, or b, if they can put you in touch with a UK physio who can advise you.
As far as I know, there aren't any physios who post on here regularly
Thanks, I have asked and await their answer.

HappyHooves

Visit site
Where are you in France? My new physio (fully qualified) travelled almost 120miles to see me yesterday.

My old physio (also fully qualified) now has a rehab yard in Aquitane and also travels a significant distance.
Thanks Casey76, I'm in Aquitaine near Cognac. Would be very grateful for a phone number... thanks this looks hopeful!!

HappyHooves

Visit site
I posted on your other thread, I didn't realise there were two threads. Getting someone out for hands on would be far better than a phone consult, I hope Casey76 and other natives can put you in touch with a French physio.
Thanks Tiddlypom ( love the name!). Yes, hopefully Casey76 has a contact. Sorry about the double thread - thought I'd noted it. Fingers crossed.