Any experience of returning a horse to a dealer?

Winklepoker

Visit site
my friend has bought a horse from a Kent dealer and needs to return within the warrenty period and swap or get money back, anything that he should be aware of?

Thanks

cptrayes

Visit site
Don't swap, you will almost certainly end up with a less valuable horse. Get the money back, then buy again. Do not look at any other horse until you have the refund!

dressedkez

Visit site
Been there.......Ended up with another horse, that cost me more money, and that was hopeless too - came with a horrible bug, once it recovered, turned out to be a wind sucker, then injured itself, and i ended up selling it still lame for very little.....it did recover and was sold on again.....not a good experience!

Winklepoker

Visit site
Oh dear what a nightmare - that is just what this episode is becoming. Seems to be a no win scenario - my friend has tried to insist on cash on delivery but no no avail????

diggerbez

Visit site
a difficult one..i'd maybe advise contacting the CAB before she does anything. a lady i know sent horse back and she still hasn't got her money back 12 months later (and we are talking more than 15k...she is taking the dealer to court)

hoggedmane

Visit site
I too bought a pony from a Kent dealer which I tried to return within the warranty period. She refused to take him back and I took her to court and won. A year after the court case and I still don't have my money back.

PucciNPoni

Visit site
I don't usually get involved in dealer discussions. But this reminds me of a situation that I witnessed, though it had nothing to do with me other than I was there to see it all unfold.

I knew a woman who had two mares - one a 15.1 hh for herself (perfect for her diminutive size - 5 ft tall and maybe 8 1/2 stone, and a little nervous rider and a crackin 12.2 for her small (10 yo-ish), capable daughter - fab pony and they won lots and she was fab to hack/show/jump. The mum's mare started having trouble with her back, rearing, napping and the lady owner was getting too frightened to ride her. She was told (by vet) something wrong with her back and that she'd be a happy hacker at best....which is mostly what the owner did anyway. But she decided to move her on - went to a dealer. Dealer promised that she had a friend that would take her as a broodie (!) sight unseen, no photos, no vetting cert etc. I warned the lady that this was a load of nonsense, as the mare was nice, but IMO no one would rightly buy a mare as a broodie without even seeing it first. But the dealer promised that this is the home her mare would go to and would happily give her something like £500 towards another horse in her yard.

So she came home with a 16.3 4 yo gelding that was a rig-- and a little poor but seemed laid back when she tried it. Spent alot of money in the purchase. She took it home with no vetting. And once it started to put a little weight on it became cheeky and far too strong. She couldn't lead it in or out of the field, it was a nightmare to hack...

Then she traded it in for another at the same dealer....that stood 17.1hh - supposed schoolmaster - very flash to look at...she spent another grand or two in the trade. Again, no vetting. And it was anaemic.

Then the daughter decided she wanted a new pony. So away went the cracking 12.2 that was a perfect fit - and to the same dealer -- and came home with a 14.2 that was too big, too strong and bucked. Scared the kid and they traded it in for an even bigger 14.3, even stronger, more expensive pony.....and bucked....and yup, more money spent at that same dealer's yard. I don't know whether these ponies were ever vetted or not.

The last I knew they ditched goin thru the dealer (thank goodness) and bought a new horse, much more appropriate size for mum, and the daughter I last saw riding a 13 hander which suited her to the ground.

So my long winded story...I personally have seen a nightmare dealing with a dealer. I'm certain that there are some really good ones out there that are moral, honest and do a great job. I think that this dealer saw this lady comin a mile away. But IMO, if I had bought something from a dealer that didn't suit after I got it home, I would send it back and ask for a full refund rather than trade.

Divasmum

Visit site
Before you do anything ring your local Trading Standards Office to find out exactly what the legal position is. If you then have problems they are there to back you up and even prosecute if there is the need.

beckiebeckyboo

Visit site
bad dealers you ve all had experiences with then. We deal and if something doesnt suit for what ever reason we have it back. whats the point of selling something that doesnt suit? it only leads to a bad reputation. i have to say though we have had very few returned, but everything has to be vetted before they leave the yard and quite often even though some body has fallen in love with something if we dont think it will do there job we wont sell it them. anything we have in part exchange we normally send to ireland as generally there is a reason they want a dealer to have it!! we have had more lies told to us with part exchanges off private poeple than any one would believe, All our horse we sell come from abroad or are homebred.
i think its down to the persons morals rather than if they deal or not!!

good luck

Troylimbo1

Visit site
You will almost certainly not solve this overnight. From my experience you are very much on your own. The CAB, Trading Standards etc just don't get involved! You can ask for your money back but I very much doubt you will get it. You will more likely be offered an exchange, which eventually worked for me (after the 3rd one) but be strict with your budget and definately get it vetted and a new warranty with it.

Good luck!

PucciNPoni

Visit site
bad dealers you ve all had experiences with then. We deal and if something doesnt suit for what ever reason we have it back. whats the point of selling something that doesnt suit? it only leads to a bad reputation. i have to say though we have had very few returned, but everything has to be vetted before they leave the yard and quite often even though some body has fallen in love with something if we dont think it will do there job we wont sell it them. anything we have in part exchange we normally send to ireland as generally there is a reason they want a dealer to have it!! we have had more lies told to us with part exchanges off private poeple than any one would believe, All our horse we sell come from abroad or are homebred.
i think its down to the persons morals rather than if they deal or not!!

good luck

It's good that everything has to be vetted. And you're right, morals has more to do with it than anything else.

I hope I didn't come across as being biased against dealers. The story above that I described is my only experience (admittedly second hand) with a dealer...but I think my point is that I think it's easy as a buyer/consumer to become sort of carried away with "well, that didn't work out, so maybe something else will...it'll only cost me another £1000 or so...oops, that didn't work out - maybe trade in - oh? It'll cost just another grand...well okay...." and before you know it, you've shelled out thousands more than you'd intended to!