Any experience of silica/rubber pads/infills for horses?

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
I had the farrier this morning and we discussed trying silica/rubber infills next time he shoes seren, she really feels the ground at times, and it would be nice that she could cope on a wider range of surfaces so we have a bit more freedom.

So farrier said we could try this next time possibly.
So if any one has experience of this I would love to hear of your experience with it on your horse.

I have heard it can really improve foot health and structure as there are no pressure points with it and it absorbs even ground so the horse does not feel it.

Many thanks in advance :)

Blythwind

Visit site
My horse has recently gone lame in both front feet (nearly one month ago). After several vets visits and numerous different opinions on what is causing him the discomfort, we still havent got anywhere.. :( He's had x-rays done and all the bones are fine, and not rotated etc.

Anyway, Farrier came out yesterday and he now has Egg bar shoes, with silica pads inside. THe shoe is to provide support to the heal, and the pad is incase he has any bruising etc.

They basically put a cotton-type mesh between the sole and the shoe. They then squirt glue stuff into the hoof to fill it level with the shoe, cover it over and then put his foot down and make him stand still whilst it hardens (about 5 mins). Once it hardens he is ok to walk, and the silica will compress if he stands on a stone or anything like that.

The stuff Fox had is a weird blue green colour. It has copper something in it, which prevents thrush etc and keeps the foot nice and hygienic When it comes to taking the shoe off again, the silica and shoe will lift off together as the mesh stops it sticking entirely to the sole.

Its not cheap at £25 a tube,(but then we managed to waste a couple of tubes because Fox didnt want to stand still). Nevertheless, Fox looked instantly more comfortable with it, so it may be worthwhile.

Keep us posted!

Steorra

Visit site
My horse has these - the fitting process is just as Blythwind described. They do seem to have made him more comfortable on the hard ground this summer. His feet are also better than I've ever seen them, they always used to be prone to cracking.

Moggy in Manolos

Visit site
Thanks to you both for your replies. This ties in with the positive stuff I have heard about these infills.
My farrier was saying he has seen great results with them and would be very interested to see how they would effect my horses feet. She has bad rotation in her front right.
Both my farrier and I are incredibly pleased with my horses feet, they have come an incredibly long way since I got her back from her despicable loan home who neglected her feet so hideously. The farrier cannot beleive how well she has got on.

Anyway, I best start re-looking at my budget as her shoeing will go up from £45 a month to £85 a month with this :eek:

Thanks again for your replies, I will have a good idea of the procedure now

MissMincePie&Brandy

Visit site
I have Equipak in my boys front feet. He was recently diagnosed with Navicular, and it's to try and give him a bit of cushioning and support. It's very expensive though. £76 for 2 tubes of Equipak, plus £64 for shoeing, every 5 weeks.

I know others who have used it for very sensitive soled horses, and it made big different to them, and enabled them to be ridden through uneven/stony tracks which would be problematic before.

skint1

Visit site
Is this the kind of thing you mean?

Newshoe1.jpg