Any experience of toe dragging

sjdress

Visit site
My older mare has a history of dragging her Right hind toe in trot. she rotates her hip and drops the toe. She has had extensive lameness work ups in the past And had issues with her opposite fore leg. Could this be related? she has had 3 years of rest/very light work. Her hocks, fetlock and stifles are clear and she is very happy to work. I find the slower I go the less likely she is to drop that toe.
shes 20 and a happy hacker so not really wanting to go down the route of extensive investigations again but wondered if anyone had any experience of this?
she has been out on loan but is now back so will be having regular physio. She also has a joint supplement but it doesn’t really make any difference to her. i do wonder if it is mechanical to compensate the left fore.

Fanatical

Visit site
In my experience, toe dragging has always been as a result of lameness - I've had experience with multiple horses, sadly.

Some will say it could be a lack of strength, but that hasn't been the case in my experience.

Bernster

Visit site
Oh interesting. I am going through the expensive route at the moment with inconsistent signs but ‘something‘ showing on the left fore and Maybe the right hind. However right hind seems like a red herring as tests haven’t flagged much there. But yes toe drag can be a lameness issue but that said if mine is being lazy he will drop the right toe a little. and, along with all the other tests and checks I’ve had done, vet thinks that very occasional toe drag isn’t a concern.