Any experience with PetPlan Equine insurance - do they pay out?

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
I had two big claims for one horse over a 10 yr period and they paid up. First was SI injury including a second opinion at the AHT, nuclear scintigraphy, treatment inc. physio. The second about 9 yrs later was annular ligament surgery. The second claim I had quite a bit of trouble knowing if it was the vet or Petplan that had cocked up the admin and it took quite a bit if time to sort out.

dixie

Visit site
I’ve had loads of claims with PP over about 20 yrs and never had a problem.
They are very keen on their exclusions tho and they’ve just hiked my fees due to a claim for ulcers which they’ve not done before.

ponymum

Visit site
I'm just pursuing a claim for a cut hock at the moment. I've never had to claim before, the horse has only ever had routine vaccinations and sedation for clipping. They wanted his complete veterinary history as it was my first claim - fair enough. However, when I had forwarded his vaccination record from his passport, they wanted his clinical notes (??!). They contacted the vets and were implying that I was trying to hide something and kept saying there must be something from July 2016 (when I bought him - he was a very sharp, unbroken 3 year old, so I didn't have him vetted). I felt like I was being accused of fraud because I have a healthy horse. I won't be renewing with them. My other horse is with NFU and, although expensive, they have been fantastic when it comes to claiming

hopscotch bandit

Visit site
Pet Plan paid out on two for me. No quibbles. I think if you insure online you can get one months insurance free.

If you haven't got your mare yet I would advise insuring her from midnight on the day before you plan to collect her/have her delivered. If you already have her I would urge you to get her insured quickly.

Any scrapping in the field is likely to happen in the first few days whilst the pecking order is sorted. Although you will have a deferment period I think this will be for illness that has manifested in the first 14 days and any injuries will be covered. I'm not suggesting for one moment your horse will have an accident but it's best to be covered from the onset.

Velcrobum

Visit site
I'm just pursuing a claim for a cut hock at the moment. I've never had to claim before, the horse has only ever had routine vaccinations and sedation for clipping. They wanted his complete veterinary history as it was my first claim - fair enough. However, when I had forwarded his vaccination record from his passport, they wanted his clinical notes (??!). They contacted the vets and were implying that I was trying to hide something and kept saying there must be something from July 2016 (when I bought him - he was a very sharp, unbroken 3 year old, so I didn't have him vetted). I felt like I was being accused of fraud because I have a healthy horse. I won't be renewing with them. My other horse is with NFU and, although expensive, they have been fantastic when it comes to claiming

That is exactly the same issue I am having. I changed vets and my first vet stopped doing equine work shortly after. Those records had been destroyed so unavailable but they would not believe me horse was in active BE and BD competition at the time on a regular basis but that was not proof he had not sustained a previous tendon injury.