Any experience with transporting horses abroad?

SillySausage

Visit site
Hi All,

I am looking at taking a group of ten horses to Holland to compete in April.

I am aware the horses need a vet check before they leave and this is being booked for me down in Kent where they will stay the night before they go on the ferry.

Does anybody know where I can find, or who the best people are, to speak to about anything else I need to ensure is in place first? Extra vaccinations, paperwork etc?I've no personal experience of transporting horses abroad and am a little bit unsure of where to start!

TIA

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
If you are having them transported by a professional transport company they will sort all the paperwork prior to travel in Dover. You don't need any extra vaccinations but should make sure they are fully up to date with their flu and tetanus jabs. When the horses are collected make sure you have the passports ready to hand over. Parker's took my tack which was packed and labelled well and it arrived in perfect condition but they don't have much room and not for 10 sets. I also have engraved metal tags on my headcollars with horses name and my phone number but they also attached a tag with DP's name and destination on it. Coming back they will need to be vet checked within 48 hours of travel and you need to organise it with a state registered vet. Hope jumping all goes well.

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
Ok, nothing really changes except you have to arrange the vets and do all the paperwork yourself. Don't forget to let your insurance company know. NFU covered DP for 60 days abroad which included travel so just check with your insurer to make sure you are covered in Holland.

Shay

Visit site
Don't forget there is a chance we will no longer be in the EU in April. If not the checks to transport and the paperwork required will be different. You also need to make sure you have the correct driving permits. Current HMG advice is that you wil need an international dirvers permit - you UK license may not be sufficient any more.

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
I work in shipping, currently you need to apply for a health cert, have a certificate of export. The vets should be able to help you with this. Your horse obviously needs a passport but apart from that for Europe there are no further vaccs. However, there is still no confirmed plan for what happens come March 29th despite what some people may tell you. We had DEFRA here this week and they could not give us a definitive answer. If we have no deal and we have to deal with customs, bringing the horses back might be interesting paperwork wise.