~ Any Farriers got a min? ~

shiresrus123

Visit site
hi, just wondering, what would you expect from the owner, and how would you/do you deal with naughty shetland size 8hh who are extremely funny about their feet being touched in any way and will rear out to strike through fear (cruelty case in past) he isnt nasty but simply wont have it although we are working on this, it wont be sorted by time a farrier comes

im needing to get a farrier out to do a barefoot trim on him, but want to prepare for what they may need from me and expect etc, to make it as smooth sailing for them, me and most importantly, my lovely little sod
grin.gif

TheFarrier

jamesthefarrier.co.uk
As long as you were up front with me i would be happy to do your naughty/scared/difficult horse. The reason i would be happy if you were upfront is that i would allocate extra time for your appointment therefore not making myslef late for anyone else. Naughty/scared horses take extra time and patience.

I would probably put your first appointment so that i dont smell of burning hooves/other horses.

I would want you there to hold the shetland/horse so it is with someone it trusts.

Maybe a little sedalin as this can take a great deal of the edge of helping the horse/pony realise its not scary and doesnt hurt

FOOD helps! food helps a lot. if a haynet does not work dont be scared of a little grub.

and time and patience from both farrier and owner are essential.

mainly the owner has to do the leg work in overcoming the horses fears and anxiety: lifting the feet (banging them if horse is to be shod) holding the leg up etc etc and then the farrier can do his bit by taking his time and being kind and patient

shiresrus123

Visit site
thanks thats a great great help, he is ruled by his belly, so food will be on tap lol, im hoping it is me being an over worried fool than reality, knowing him he wil stand there quiet with a glint in his eye LOL

but defo a great help, thanku
smile.gif

Guinness

Visit site
I used to work at a stud, which was always fun at farrier time with the foals and youngsters. We had fab farriers that didnt mind hanging onto legs, so long as we had put the effort in beforehand with the babies to get them used to having their feet done. As long as you let them know then Im sure they will be fine
smile.gif