Any Foreign Breeds Fans?

LadyGascoyne

Visit site
I've got two Latvian carriage horses. Not exotic at all over here, but I presume they're not seen too often around the UK.

This is my big gelding, he's a solid allrounder and we do a little bit of everything. A good head on his shoulders, but still a lot of 'tude and spunk.

View attachment 43216

And this is my youngster, who will be 2 this June. Pictured as nearly 1yo. His sire is actually a Westphalian from Germany, but they are allowed to be used in improving the Latvian bloodlines. Can't wait to see what he grows into!

View attachment 43221

I also ride a Russian Don at my trainers' yard. Lovely, little horse with a great mind and the most comfortable gaits I've ever sat!

Wow, absolutely gorgeous horses.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
He's so pretty ?

Is there something particular about a Swedish Standardbred ycbm? I've never heard of that

I don't think so, just that his mum was imported from Sweden because she was a class trotter. Thankfully not a pacer! I love him, there is something special about the combination. It's not just me, everyone who sees him move says the same. I'm hoping to be riding GP moves in five years time.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Ah ok I see!
Oo, that's an exciting aim to have - will you compete him or just develop at home?

Well my birthday present, one week before the lockdown, was a new white square and sheepskin pad for competing?‍♂️?‍♂️?‍♀️

I have to conquer a real issue with being judged, which makes me ruin the test, but if I can do that at Prelim/Novice this year then I would hope to take him up the ranks as far as we are capable. He has more talent than I do!

If I can't crack the competition issues then I will be happy to do as much as we can do at home. He is just awesome to ride. I've got a lifetime goal of riding one time tempis. I taught one horse threes, then he broke. So we'll see how it goes. Keeping a horse alive and in one piece is enough of a challenge sometimes!

eahotson

Visit site
I went to Iceland on a riding holiday 30 years ago and soon after bought an Icelandic. I'd always have a gaited breed now.
I rode an Icelandic horse in Iceland too and fell in live.Was trying to work out if the centre would notice if I popped him into a bag and bought him home,but I think they might have done.

Pippity

Visit site
I love PREs and, to a lesser extent, the other Iberian breeds. My old share horse was half-PRE (the rest was Friesian/TB), and a friend had a PRE stallion, gelding and mare who were all delightfully intelligent and level-headed. (Well, perhaps not the gelding, but he was special!) She now has a Lipizzaner gelding, who's a bit special, and another friend has a Lusitano stallion, who's another intelligent, level-headed type. (Hmm. My shared half-PRE gelding was a bit special. Perhaps it's lopping the balls off that makes them that way!)

When I was shopping for the horse that turned out to be Blue, I was hoping I'd come across a PRE that met all my needs, but breed was far less important than a number of other factors. I ended up getting a little Irish cob instead.

If I buy another horse at any point (which isn't planned, because Blue will hopefully be reaching retirement at the same time as me), I would really like a PRE, though.

mariew

Visit site
I am still wanting a North Swedish heavyweight. One day... And I also love fjords. I do like and wanted a pre, but as I was looking they were all generally out of my league and hard to find a nice one without going broke. My more realistic choice once back looking after all this is over will be an RID.

HufflyPuffly

Visit site
All mine are foreign breed crosses I guess?

PBA, shes about 48% Arab, the rest mostly TB with a dash of Spanish if you go far enough back!
426126_10151470594414925_1096919364_n.jpg

She 27 now and retired mostly, but she's still the best!

Then we have the two Friesian x Hackney's (Skylla also has some Holstein in her too).
Topaz who is 17 and did her first PSG last year.
61007183_1029139057271954_906588143585591296_n.jpg

Plus Skylla, who has yet to do anything too exciting but when we're not on lockdown will hopefully go eventing!
83516441_2686222594786771_1198733841989107712_o.jpg

FinnishLapphund

There's no cow on the ice
Visit site
I don't think so, just that his mum was imported from Sweden because she was a class trotter. Thankfully not a pacer! I love him, there is something special about the combination. It's not just me, everyone who sees him move says the same. I'm hoping to be riding GP moves in five years time.

Standardbreds competing in harness racing in Sweden, are usually called Trotters by us, because trotting is what we do with them in races. I actually don't know of any races for pacers in Sweden.
By the way, harness racing is a much bigger sport than flat racing, and steeplechasing, in Sweden.

BBP

Visit site
I have a 3/4 PRE 1/4 welsh B. Nothing sensible or level headed about him at all, complete lunatic half the time. He’s a cross between Peter Pan and the Artful Dodger in that at 14 he is still like a big foal, plays and pesters the others relentlessly, acts like he has never seen x, y or z before even though he might see them every day and he’s also cunning and sharply intelligent when it comes to escaping and stealing things. But he is my absolute best friend, light of my life, incredibly intelligent and trainable when it comes to tricks, Liberty work, bridleless riding etc. I may be a lot grey-er and more broken for having him but all other horses seem boring to me in comparison (totally bias of course).1840F8AA-AEF5-44DF-BDDF-AEDFC8FDFD86.jpeg5B702260-DEC3-4867-98E8-518D6A2CCF6B.jpeg

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I have a *slight* obsession with big, heavy, hairy types so Clydesdales and Shires are obvs lol.
But one of my favs is the Ardennes and also Tiger Norikers ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
If it's giant, built like the proverbial outhouse and has a load of hair then I dont care where it comes from lol ????

My all-time favourite horse was my Westphalian Kaltblut. I can't put a pic of her on but she was like an oversized Ardennes -16hh bright bay with lots of black feather, a big head with enormous eyes and a square muzzle, she weighed over 800kg even after her diet. She was very opinionated, had a well-developed sense of humour and was a 'bombproof' hack who understood traffic.

Pippity

Visit site
I have a 3/4 PRE 1/4 welsh B. Nothing sensible or level headed about him at all, complete lunatic half the time.

Ah, but he's a gelding! Further proof for my theory that entire Iberians are sensible, but they go a bit special if you lop their nuts off!

I'm also fascinated by the Kinsky, but they're so rare that I'm unlikely to even meet one, never mind own one.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I've got two Latvian carriage horses. Not exotic at all over here, but I presume they're not seen too often around the UK.

This is my big gelding, he's a solid allrounder and we do a little bit of everything. A good head on his shoulders, but still a lot of 'tude and spunk.

View attachment 43216

And this is my youngster, who will be 2 this June. Pictured as nearly 1yo. His sire is actually a Westphalian from Germany, but they are allowed to be used in improving the Latvian bloodlines. Can't wait to see what he grows into!

View attachment 43221

I also ride a Russian Don at my trainers' yard. Lovely, little horse with a great mind and the most comfortable gaits I've ever sat!

love this horse .
I would have a Akhal Teke if I where young and fit and had a big sack of money

BBP

Visit site
Ah, but he's a gelding! Further proof for my theory that entire Iberians are sensible, but they go a bit special if you lop their nuts off!

I'm also fascinated by the Kinsky, but they're so rare that I'm unlikely to even meet one, never mind own one.
He’s also a bit welsh, so perhaps gets some special from them too.