Any good livery yards - Charlbury/Woodstock, Oxon area??

dill

Visit site
Does anyone know of a good livery yard in the Charlbury/Woodstock area of Oxfordshire? Preferably part-livery or assisted-DIY would be ok. Needs to have a good arena, an indoor school would be nice!, all year turnout, good off road riding with somewhere to do fitness work/gallops. Ideally would have a decent instructor/trainer for lessons. Would be great to have recommendations/prices - also PM me if there's anywhere to be avoided!

lilpinkdonkey4

Visit site
im an Oxon lass, i keep my mare nr thame though so a bit furthur than you want... i only really know the between abingdon and thame for yards... i dont know of any in that area! where are you living? PM me if preffered. prices can really range! Im on part livery and pay £65 a week all included apart from mucking out. we have indoor and outdoor, gallops, walker and xc course being built... BUT we dont have all yr t/out. how far are you willing to travel?

Bossanova

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
There's a decent indoor school at Heathfield, near Bletchingdon/Kidlington..

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's shared by loads of people and the surface rides deep. That put me off going there

ashbank

www.ashbankequestrian.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But it's shared by loads of people and the surface rides deep. That put me off going there

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the surface rides deep at all, although it does get a fair bit of 'traffic' on it, as it is hired out to pony clubs and for polo and stuff. Not deep though, not at all.
smile.gif

Bossanova

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think the surface rides deep at all, although it does get a fair bit of 'traffic' on it, as it is hired out to pony clubs and for polo and stuff. Not deep though, not at all.
smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It was when I visited but maybe that was fluke!
As well as being hired out it's in constant use by all the resident liveries. Would annoy me greatly to have restricted use of the school!

TayloredEq

www.tayloredequestrian.com
I used to be on livery on the Cornbury Estate. It was in 2001 (I think) so they might not still be there, they were just starting out at the time and were a really nice couple. we had access to the whole estate to ride on, you just had to avoid the deer hunters. About 3 or 4 different grass gallops we could use and a small indoor school, plus all year turn out. When I was there you could invite any instructor you wanted to go and visit.

Vague directions, as a fair while ago were - go past the railway station on your left, up a fairly steep hill. Take a left at the top of the hill and continue down road for approx 1 mile, maybe a bit more. Yard was on the right, set back from road.

Hope this might be of help to you

the watcher

Visit site
Waterman's Lodge has changed a bit since then, sadly the lady who was running the yard died quite suddenly about 4 years ago and the racehorses are no longer there. After a succession of managers the yard is all DIY now as far as I can tell and appears to be managed by a committee of livery clients - which is always a dangerous thing IMO

Laafet

adventuresinblackandwhite.co.uk
Waterman's Lodge is not the place it was , am trying to think of the places near where I was, which was Fox Meadow Farm in New Yatt (now under new people do not recommend now) then Field Farm, North Leigh which is good if you can get in, huge waiting list. A friend of mine has started up a yard near Leafield and she's well organised.

dill

Visit site
Thanks for all of the feedback. I've done a bit of ringing around and it appears that the lady who used to run Watermans Lodge died very suddenly of pneumonia about 3 years ago and her husband was left with a very young family and so the yard was put on the back burner. Apparently it is about to be taken over by a top foreign eventer who is going to gt everything up together, build new boxes, base his event team there and pick up the livery business again. It sounds like it has the potential to be a great yard - indoor school, big outdoor arena, grass gallops, tons of turnout, indoor stabling, hackable to Crown Farm for XC schooling and next door to some all weather gallops. Just trying to find out who is taking over but I think I'll hang on and go there if possible.

the watcher

Visit site
Chewbacca - there have been many changes of management in the last 3-4 years, I would be a little wary of these plans as I have seen people come and go very quickly. The facilities there are good, outdoor school, indoor school (small and needs a new surface), direct access to Cornbury Park and gallops - but that might not be enough to make up for an unsettled management and clients.
If you go to visit it would be worth chatting to the clients as well as the guy who leases the yard from Cornbury Estate.