Any 'Happy Hackers' on here?

Nudibranch

Visit site
I do the occasional bit of competing but mostly "just" hacking, and driving. Although there's no "just" about it - round here the terrain is challenging, as are the gates, the farm vehicles, the woods and streams and ditches. My current and previous riding horses were both backed here, with no facilities, on my own. So to get them to confident, useful hacks and driving horses at all paces and in all conditions is something to be fairly proud of I'd say.

I've had horses all my life and at the moment I don't ride as often as I'd like to - 5 year old child, husband who complains if I spend too much time on the animals. But I could never be without them. When I can't ride, I'll drive, and when I can't drive I'll just have field ornaments.

throwawayaccount

Visit site
I bought my current mare last April, to be a general riding club level type of horse.. we've mainly been rehabbing her. I love her loads, so will do whatever I can by her, we've connected in quite a strong way. admittedly if this had happened in the past I wouldn't have been able to afford all the bills. I've always had horses I can ride so this is a new experience for me to have a horse thats essentially a write off

Last edited:

First Frost

Visit site
I have competed in eventing, dressage, SJ and years ago showing, my entire life. I have 3 horses one 18, one 8 and one 6. My older boy competed up to BE 100. I have always loved hacking and each horse rarely schooled more than once a week. With no competing last year I had the realisation that I actually didn't particularly enjoy competing any more and didn't miss it. Now in my mid 50's I have decided to just enjoy my lovely horses maybe with occasional competitions. They all hack well, alone and in company,so I'm becoming a professional hacker, usually doing upwards of 40 miles a week.

Salrose

New User
Visit site
I am and have been 'just' a happy hacker for at least 10 years now. I have had a go at most disciplines including showing, never at a particularly high level as I simply don't have that competitive edge in me, plus of course I probably wasn't good enough anyway lol! . Now I only have my retired mare and my riding horse and he is currently on his holidays with his ex owner until next spring when, hopefully, I will have had both my hips replaced. It will be a total of 18 months since I last rode so as I am now in my 70s I have some worries about being able to get back into it when the time comes. But I am a determined old biddy so hopefully I will get there eventually.

Tristar your post really resonates with me so much. One day last July, in a great deal of pain from my knackered hips I managed to struggle onto my horse yet again, It was becoming more and more painful and difficult for me.

Anyway, off I went for a lovely hack and on the way back down the track to home I had a sudden feeling of such gratitude and pure joy enjoying the sense and feel of being up there on my big tank of a horse, happily striding out and heading for home through beautiful countryside. I was ruminating over how lucky I have been to be able to ride for nearly 70 years and it occurred to me how heartbreaking it would be if I, or any other rider, could know that this would be their last ever rider, and how I would not like to know that, ever.

Would you believe that WAS my last ride, two days later my right hip gave way on me and I just could not even get on him, let alone ride anywhere. I have always thought that a little spooky, having those thoughts on what did really turn out be our last ride! I am hoping next spring he will come home and I WILL hack out again, and yes I will still be 'just' a very happy hacker, and very, very proud and grateful to be so.

I'm in my 60s and had a hip replaced 3 years ago. I rode again after 12 weeks with no pain, I still get some discomfort but riding sorts that out and I can now ride for hours again - you'll be fine:)

BunnyandRuby

Visit site
Yes, Bought my daughter her first pony 6 &1/2 years ago… daughter was 11, been having lessons for years… bought her beautiful 14.2 section d mare, that was still on the stud where she was born, she was nearly 6, wasn’t backed until 6 months before, then turned away til get got her. After months of walking on foot everywhere with them,I also got one(no previous horsey experience or lessons) mine was also a Welsh section d mare, aged 7 and 14.3.we don’t have access to a school or arena, so it’s all hacking on country lanes or forestry. My husband bought us a trailer and we have since done beach rides, and joined Endurance as pleasure riders, this year we have done several non Egb funrides and had a ball. I know nothing about any other disciplines. I have even taken a City and Guilds Level 1 horse care course. … my daughter has been my riding instructor correcting me at every opportunity ? complete and utter lifestyle change, but they’re both in their forever homes …. We will only ever be happy hackers, and always together, as the mares are inseparable ( in hindsight, should have separated at the start), But even though our purses are empty, our hearts are full, and this past 18 months being furloughed would’ve been much tougher without them.

Attachments

• 0116CE0C-7D98-4757-8B4A-CC896BB8AC33.jpeg
    0116CE0C-7D98-4757-8B4A-CC896BB8AC33.jpeg
    153.5 KB · Views: 20

MuddyMonster

Visit site
We mainly hack :) I have a lesson once a month & take part in things like polework clinics, TREC and pleasure rides but hacking is my main love.

I've always made a conscience decision to stable where there is off varied off road hacking though - I don't mind a bit of road work to get somewhere but I don't enjoy just pounding roads ride after ride - and most weekends are out hacking for hours and hours.

skint1

Visit site
I've not ridden in a long while for a number of reasons though I have 2 lovely horses I went on a walk (on foot) with a couple of my fellow yardies a couple of evenings ago and so many fond memories of hacks along the route we walked came back to me and I felt quite wistful about it all. Right now my confidence is not high and I feel like there's a big mountain to climb to get there, hope I will. That said, I do love my horses, never run out of things to do with them, and at the yard in general, despite not riding.

tristar

Visit site
I am and have been 'just' a happy hacker for at least 10 years now. I have had a go at most disciplines including showing, never at a particularly high level as I simply don't have that competitive edge in me, plus of course I probably wasn't good enough anyway lol! . Now I only have my retired mare and my riding horse and he is currently on his holidays with his ex owner until next spring when, hopefully, I will have had both my hips replaced. It will be a total of 18 months since I last rode so as I am now in my 70s I have some worries about being able to get back into it when the time comes. But I am a determined old biddy so hopefully I will get there eventually.

Tristar your post really resonates with me so much. One day last July, in a great deal of pain from my knackered hips I managed to struggle onto my horse yet again, It was becoming more and more painful and difficult for me.

Anyway, off I went for a lovely hack and on the way back down the track to home I had a sudden feeling of such gratitude and pure joy enjoying the sense and feel of being up there on my big tank of a horse, happily striding out and heading for home through beautiful countryside. I was ruminating over how lucky I have been to be able to ride for nearly 70 years and it occurred to me how heartbreaking it would be if I, or any other rider, could know that this would be their last ever rider, and how I would not like to know that, ever.

Would you believe that WAS my last ride, two days later my right hip gave way on me and I just could not even get on him, let alone ride anywhere. I have always thought that a little spooky, having those thoughts on what did really turn out be our last ride! I am hoping next spring he will come home and I WILL hack out again, and yes I will still be 'just' a very happy hacker, and very, very proud and grateful to be so.

oh so sorry to hear you can`t ride at the mo, its really tough, perhaps the thought that went through your mind was a premonition that you will ride again, as it was a feeling of gratitude and a good feeling!

hope you get through the next few months safely

scruffyponies

Visit site
I guess I qualify, although in truth I have the most fun when the hacking is far from relaxing.

Not everyone's cup of tea, but I love taking a spooky half-wit project and getting them riding and driving out nicely. Bring on the roadworks, barking dogs, umberellas and tractors; I would be bored out of my mind going around in circles.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
Wow thank you so much for all of the responses everybody! It's so nice to hear what you love about hacking and horse ownership in general :) I completely agree that you need to be on the ball when hacking, and that good schooling/a good relationship with and knowledge of your horse will give you confidence out on a ride.
Thank you, I have a stressful job, so it's lovely to spend time with horses just relaxing with them.

I have taken horses on walking hacks in hand when I have kept them in quieter villages and my instructor long reins hers down bridleways. It's a really nice thing to do if you can find somewhere quiet.

I do in hand in the school, walking over poles, doing lateral work in hand (because it is easier to see what they're doing with their legs) and stretching (they love carrot stretches).:)

This sounds really relaxing. Do you need to use an in hand bridle or do you feel happy with a head collar? I guess it might depend on the horse :)

Miss_Millie

Visit site
Yes!
I only hacked for nearly 15 years and it's still my favourite activity !
I do a bit of schooling but it's to improve my riding and I have no interest in competing really.
It's all about the relationship and companionship for me.

This is the main thing I would love to have if I'm lucky enough to own a horse one day. At my childhood riding school there was a very troubled pony who was my favourite, she was abused in her previous home. I built a strong bond with her and I was the only person who she would let anywhere near her face. I used to put the sweet itch cream on her ears and even as a 12 year old, it was an amazing feeling knowing that she trusted me because I showed her kindness. I'm now approaching my 30s and hope that I'll one day be able to have that relationship again, but with a horse of my own.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
My favourite days include not riding. I ride when I get the notion or when I have a lesson planned but I don’t have a horse because I want to ride, I ride because I feel like it. The feeling I get from just grooming, massaging, doing Liberty work etc is just as satisfying.

I would love to learn liberty when I have my own horse one day, it looks like so much fun. For me riding is also only part of the equation. It's just so nice to be around horses :)

Miss_Millie

Visit site
I totally agree; hacking horses out in beautiful countryside can't be beaten! Also have a very stressful job so it's (usually) good for relaxation. I find showing/ competing so stressful (only tried a couple of times), even so far as down to worrying about whether you're wearing the right thing/ horse is plaited correctly blah blah. All that nonsense is deffo not for me!

Same here, I'm quite introverted as well so I can't imagine I would have the confidence to compete. The British countryside is truly beautiful - there's nothing like experiencing it on horseback :)

Griffin

Visit site
This sounds really relaxing. Do you need to use an in hand bridle or do you feel happy with a head collar? I guess it might depend on the horse :)

It does depend on the horse but if I am walking next to them, I tend to use a head collar (my mare is very polite in hand and bomb proof, so I use a head collar). If I am long reining I always use a bridle (I don't think it would work otherwise).

Miss_Millie

Visit site
I hack far more than I school. I love schooling, but I think it does them the world of good to have variety. I also compete low level dressage for fun.
I also detest the ‘happy hacker’ phrase. It takes a lot more guts and ability to take a horse out and about than it does trotting round the safety of a school.

This is so true. I once went on a hack on holiday, it was just me and the person taking me out. About 20 minutes into the ride a stallion in the field we rode past jumped over a 4ft stone wall and began chasing my mare, trying to mount her :oops: I think I dealt with the situation pretty well but it was lucky I wasn't thrown off! You certainly have to be prepared for anything o_O

Miss_Millie

Visit site
Hahs sounds like me, I do compete a bit but hack my horse to everything. I can never get my head around the ampunt of people I meet who do amazing stuff at comps/in the school but poo their pants going for a short hack. I'll go anywhere and everywhere on my horse. Sometimes out for 5/6hrs.
I do like just hanging out with them to, they make me laugh with their antics. If ive had a bad day at work or something i sit in the field a bit and watch them, they usually come over to 'inspect' me or groom ?

This is what I want from horse ownership! Just spending time with horses is really amazing and humbling.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
Yes, Bought my daughter her first pony 6 &1/2 years ago… daughter was 11, been having lessons for years… bought her beautiful 14.2 section d mare, that was still on the stud where she was born, she was nearly 6, wasn’t backed until 6 months before, then turned away til get got her. After months of walking on foot everywhere with them,I also got one(no previous horsey experience or lessons) mine was also a Welsh section d mare, aged 7 and 14.3.we don’t have access to a school or arena, so it’s all hacking on country lanes or forestry. My husband bought us a trailer and we have since done beach rides, and joined Endurance as pleasure riders, this year we have done several non Egb funrides and had a ball. I know nothing about any other disciplines. I have even taken a City and Guilds Level 1 horse care course. … my daughter has been my riding instructor correcting me at every opportunity ? complete and utter lifestyle change, but they’re both in their forever homes …. We will only ever be happy hackers, and always together, as the mares are inseparable ( in hindsight, should have separated at the start), But even though our purses are empty, our hearts are full, and this past 18 months being furloughed would’ve been much tougher without them.

This sounds wonderful, what a lovely picture of you both enjoying hacking together :) Thank you for sharing your story, it's inspirational to me as I haven't come from a horsey background/family. It makes me feel like horse ownership might be more possible for me :)

Flame_

Visit site
Me, and I have a splendidly beautiful, sound, quality, willing horse to engage in all sorts of happy, leisurely adventures with and not a minute's guilt or shame about all his wasted potential. I think he's happy too.

The older I get and the more I learn about humans, the less I like "competitiveness" (if that's even a word) in general. It's quite an ugly thing, but it is human nature. I'm coming to think leaving animals out of it and just trying to one-up each other ourselves might actually be for the best.

Miss_Millie

Visit site
Me, and I have a splendidly beautiful, sound, quality, willing horse to engage in all sorts of happy, leisurely adventures with and not a minute's guilt or shame about all his wasted potential. I think he's happy too.

The older I get and the more I learn about humans, the less I like "competitiveness" (if that's even a word) in general. It's quite an ugly thing, but it is human nature. I'm coming to think leaving animals out of it and just trying to one-up each other ourselves might actually be for the best.

I don't really understand the idea of horses being 'wasted' - if they are happy and content then it doesn't matter if they could potentially be ridden to a higher level :) I doubt horses see it that way.

Highflinger

Visit site
I got my first pony at the age of 10 and never been without a horse since. Now aged 52 and always mainly hacked - usually alone at least 5 days a week. I have fabulous heathland hacking . I do the occasional riding club clinic or local show but not competitive at all and just go for a bit of variety. I spend at least 3 hours each day with my horses. I don't go on holiday as I don't like leaving them! Hacking is simply what I do and hope to continue for life.

Visit site
Yes that's pretty much me at the moment! We don't have a ménage at home yet, so hacking is just about the only thing I can do. I have always really enjoyed it though so it's no hardship! Although we are actually going SJ on Sunday for the first time in 5 years! Only doing a 60cm but he is 22 now :)

tda

Visit site
Me, I'm a happy hacker and have been so all my life, on a variety of ponies over the years.
I don't have an arena, and have never kept my ponies anywhere that had one, I'm the opposite to most people in that I feel safer out and about than in an arena ?
I have competed in various things but I'm not very competitive......
Do whatever makes you happy x

Miss_Millie

Visit site
I got my first pony at the age of 10 and never been without a horse since. Now aged 52 and always mainly hacked - usually alone at least 5 days a week. I have fabulous heathland hacking . I do the occasional riding club clinic or local show but not competitive at all and just go for a bit of variety. I spend at least 3 hours each day with my horses. I don't go on holiday as I don't like leaving them! Hacking is simply what I do and hope to continue for life.

This sounds like the dream! I'm very jealous. I hardly ever go on holiday because I'm such a homebody. I can't wait to be a horse owner for the first time, hopefully next year will be the year :)

tiga71

Visit site
I do a lot of hacking but also enjoy very low level competing, clinics, lessons, riding camp, jumping, cross country, fun rides, endurance, trec, working equitation. Basically I will have a go at anything, have also done tent pegging and mounted archery but not regularly.

I have 3 horses. My old boy is 23 now. We did low level endurance and he was cracking, always surprised people as he was a hairy cob. We also hunted. He mainly hacks, jumps and does fun rides now. My middle one is just finding his confidence hacking alone so we are out 2/3 times a week on our own. My youngest is a project and we are just working on ground work but we go on inhand hacks and lots of long reining.

Tbh, I love it all. But not much beats being on the top of the South Downs on your horse.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
Yep, I'm a happy hacker :) I don't have a school or transport (though saving up for the latter) so hacking is my main riding hobby. I'm not really a competitive person but I would like to eventually do a bit of low level jumping and have a blast around some cross country :)

mini_b

Visit site
As others have said..
it’s quite a thing to be able to get out in the real world with your ned and do it so it’s safe and you both enjoy it. Especially how busy everywhere is these days.

it’s one thing going to a fairly safe horsey environment, but there are SO many variables in the “outside world”and not a first aider on standby.

mine can be a bit hairy to hack & open spaces if you don’t “know” him but I am positive he would hack to the moon if I asked him to and do all the gates himself on the way.

Very, very lucky.

Caol Ila

Visit site
I'm a full time happy hacker. I used to be a dressage queen. I had to give up schooling my old mare because she clearly found it hard, but she was happy to potter around the trails for another six months before I had to stop riding completely. One of my current horses is an excellent trail pony, but he has some anxiety/insecurity things going on about arenas, which I'm treating as a problem for future me at the moment. The other is three and unbroke, mostly on maternity leave. But she could be a very fancy dressage pony.

Skib

sites.google.com
I am addicted to hacking. The mare has not been so keen lately in the summer heat but I am told that, like me, she needs the exercise. To the rider doubtful about resuming after a break, it was very hard and humiliating after 13 months Covid lockdown. My ankles gave way and I was exhausted. But the yard staff were lovely and 4 months later I am hacking as usual.