Any horses that perform better when out than at home?

Julia0803

Visit site
Just wondering if anyone else has a pony that performs better at a "party" than they do at home?

Was chatting with my instructor the other day and she was saying he was a bit backwards in that respect :p as most of her other clients horses always do better at home than at a comp?

He is the worlds sweetest most lovely boy, safe as houses and looks after me (novice-y mum giving competing a go for the first time ever) and nervous novice son with self confidence issues. At home he is somewhat "motivationally challenged" and is happy to bimble along not working properly at all. Obedient, but not going to put any more effort in than he has to etc etc. I can get him to work nicely and from behind in our lessons, but my goodness it can be hard work!! With my son's lessons they don't really work on his frame, just going forward and listening etc. But you take him out and about and he is a complete show off/total pro and carries himself beautifully, without really being asked.

We have been having a bash at local level dressage where he has got up to 74% at Intro level with my son and 76% prelim with me, qualified with DS to go to C+T DR champs last year and came 5th, he does Pc with son and this weekend we went out showing for the first time and came back with a 2nd and a 1st!.... But if you saw him on a regular day at home in the school he is quite likely to resemble a beach donkey! :D

Anyone else have a horse like this? I think he really enjoys his days out and a change of scene- and maybe likes a good show off!? He doesn't get excited/silly etc and stands half asleep etc by trailer but just has a bit of sparkle and goes the extra mile when we are out.

kassieg

Visit site
Yeh 1 of the event yard used to jump no bigger than 105 at home & would look not great but would event at intermediate & 2* he actually had to do open intermediates as he had so many be points. Not the norm nut they are definitely out there !

X

xspiralx

Mine is. At home he is tricky, a bit grumpy and very sharp. He's difficult to jump, he gets cocky and either gets strong and tries to rush or backs off the leg.

At shows he is a pleasure. Very straightforward, very sensible and very rideable.

Marydoll

Visit site
Yep, my boy is spooky at home and anticipates dressage tests so i have to practice different elements of it rather than practicing it, but got 74.58% the last couple of times out at novice having never run through the tests, went and did our first elementary the same way mid 60's so something to build on, i just wonder if practicing this way will work up the levels

Bexx

Visit site
Mines a bit useless at home but he always pulls it out of the bag while we are away. At home he's a bit lazy and lacks impulsion but out eventing last time we got a 26.5 dressage

epeters91

Visit site
My youngster hardly ever stands square at home but evertime we've been to show in hand she's stood lovely and square in front of the judge and while waiting for other horses to trot up and back. Not sure why but I try not to question it haha fingers crossed she carries on doing it! :D

ljohnsonsj

Visit site
Mine too! She thinks for herself at a show, at home she spends more time fighting and trying to get out of working correctly than she does on the job in hand.

leflynn

Visit site
Mine too, can be a lazy toad at home, but seems to find his sparkle out and about - I think he just likes showing off to the judges partic at DR. He can't be bothered to jump at home unless there are many jumps out (only have a small arena so tricky), he does jump it is just with the absolute minimum effort required, take him out and pings round ears pricked :)

Julia0803

Visit site
Glad it's not just me then!!

I would love to be able to work up to Novice over the next year (perhaps a little ambitious being as we have only done two prelim tests at present!! He has mainly been doing intro with my son, just moved onto prelim together, as trying to organise the pair of them and then get my head around me doing a test in the same outing blow my brain!) so it will be interesting to see if the trend continues once the level gets harder...

rising_promise

Visit site
Mines the same. She's very chilled out to ride, does a lovely relaxed test but being away from home just gives her a little something extra and she feels better in the arena than she does at home, I generally get her best work at competitions. Never had a TB like it before so it's very refreshing to know that she's not going to change horribly when you get to the comp!

Also rattles the plastic poles when jumping at home but barely touches a thing in the ring!