Any idea what else this could be - re fetlock strain

marioforever

Visit site
I have a mare who strained/sprained her fetlock late last year. I had it xrayed and scanned then and nothing showed up. She has been left with a very swollen fetlock, which according to the vet is synovial fluid. She has been back in work for a few months now and whilst working well, has always seemed slightly odd for first few minutes. Had vet back and got her xrayed and scanned again and nothing showed up. I am at a loss to know what it is as she just gets better and better after the first couple of minutes. Vets coming back tomorrow and I am resting her til then. Do you think it could be arthritic changes in the fetlock joint? Vet did mention last time about an injection into the fetlock. Wonder if anyone else has experienced anything similar. Thanks for reading

maza

Visit site
I'm just about to go through the same thing my mare has sprained her fetlock and heading in on Monday for x rays but my vet assures me you'll see arthritis in the x ray??? No mention of that in your x rays??

marioforever

Visit site
Am taking my mare into vets surgery for yet another X-ray & scan with her fetlock flexed as she hasnt had that done yet. By what I have read, and the fact that after hard exercise her fetlock swells over the sesamoid area, I think that she may have sesamoiditis which has a very poor prognosis. I am gutted as I have had two xrays and two scans and was told nothing was showing and that she could be ridden as normal. It seems that sometimes it dosent matter what you do to try and get it right by only working the horse when you have been told you can, that even then you just make matters worse. She is a lovely mare and I am just hoping that the prognosis is not too bad

marioforever

Visit site
Am taking my mare into vets surgery for yet another X-ray & scan with her fetlock flexed as she hasnt had that done yet. By what I have read, and the fact that after hard exercise her fetlock swells over the sesamoid area, I think that she may have sesamoiditis which has a very poor prognosis. I am gutted as I have had two xrays and two scans and was told nothing was showing and that she could be ridden as normal. It seems that sometimes it dosent matter what you do to try and get it right by only working the horse when you have been told you can, that even then you just make matters worse. She is a lovely mare and I am just hoping that this isnt the case.