any ideas on extra tibits?

manicmare

Visit site
My horse is on box rest
frown.gif
sighs and he seems to be getting a bit bored with life and I thought maybe I can spice up his feed with some extra bits and bobs any ideas? I thought occasionally maybe honey or golden syrup anyone know which is better? I've done the apples, pears and carrots any more veggies or fruits that you know horses adore? thanks

JessPickle

Visit site
Put an apple in his water bucket, one of the horses that has to be kept in most the time (due to a combination of laminitis, mud fever and a skin rash!) He really enjoyed trying to get it out and it kept him interested. Also a suede/turnip on a string helps with boredom (one of the other liveries did this)

katylee

Visit site
mine love swedes i just chuck them on the floor they love it. have you tired putting the apples in their water bucket. mine bob for ages for them.

vickers22

Visit site
i made the yummiest treat for mine the other day. It was very bad for him but its not like he gets it every day!;
oats, mixed with honey and 11 crushed polos!!
i put it in a small plastic container(one that cant be broken of course)and he spent ages licking it, because he couldnt fit his mouth in, and it all squished to the bottom so made it harder. He absolutely adored it as usually he gets really bored with that kind of stuff!it was hilarious-but took a while to make so he only gets it like once a year!!!

emma69

Visit site
I wouldn't go down the food route as the horse won't be burning off the extra calories. things that have helped horses on box rest in my experience include an unbreakable mirror, a radio (radio 4 works well), a football, and visits from equine friends!

manicmare

Visit site
no I walk him. Can't do equine friends
frown.gif
horse has personality disorder with other equines. Got football which has helped, think idea about radio and ub mirror are great! thanks

MagicMelon

Visit site
You could buy him one of those snack ball things they roll about and tiny bits of food drops out. If you use something like high fibre cubes in it then it wont do him any harm.

Otherwise, turnips are great - we get a huge load from our local farmer. Ours love them, they get 1 each for lunch and the load lasts us about 3 months! You could try asking around to see if they do this - its WAY cheaper than buying them from supermarkets obviously. Otherwise, I often get a massive tub filled with hay and add some chopped pieces of carrots / turnip / cabbage / apples etc. amongst it.

Just make sure he always has forage to munch on and go and groom him as much as you can to entertain him. Hope he gets better soon - mines on temporary box rest right now too and he hates it!!! Stressy as hell, he's not used to being kept in and makes sure I know that!