Any ideas on how to sell hay bales? I have far too many!

HappyNeds

Visit site
We had our field cut for hay this year, have far too many large round hay bales for just our own horses. Some have been saying there's a bit of hay shortage due to most suppliers only getting one cut done, we'd love to sell some of ours on, but don't know how to go about it!!

We are new the area, don't know many farmers/local horsey yards etc, and don't know what to do with them?

I thought I could advertise some on ebay/preloved etc, but the main problem with this is we don't have a tractor with a bale grabber, so can't offer to load them our end (other than someone parking their trailer down-slope and us rolling them!)

Any ideas please?!! :)

They've been wrapped so we can store them outside, so they've probably 'sweetened' a little inside, but they are wrapped hay, not haylage. Our contractor told us despite the rain, it was some of the best hay he'd made - and as it was cut so late (September) it's better for horses anyway.

Note - this is not an advert TFC, I've not mentioned my location!! I just really need ideas to get some of them shifted.

Dry Rot

Visit site
If it's any consolation, mine isn't selling either -- yet! There is an awful lot of rubbish hay around. Note posts about on here about horses not eating their hay this year. It will sell after Christmas when the weather get a bit harder.

With a bit of ingenuity, a long rope, and a couple of ramps, big bales can be loaded onto a trailer. Brake on trailer, one end of rope around bale, other end of rope on tow hitch of 4x4, and drive off!:D They slide up the ramps. Takes a bit of practice but once you get the knack it is quite satisfying!

RubysGold

Visit site
Would definitely put ads up in local feed/tack shops. And definitely go on preloved and ebay. There are people that will want them even if you cant load them :)

Polos Mum

Visit site
Try your local horsey facebook page - I've sold mine through that very sucessfully. If you price it right it will sell even if it's a pain to collect.
We made too much as well this year and haven't anywhere to store it so offered it as collect from the field only. One lady came in her estate car and collected 4 at a time!

dotty1

Visit site
I ended up with a lot of surplus large haylege bales this year too. I can't get rid of it either...it is possible to roll them up a trailer ramp but it puts people off. If my horses hadn't escaped and opened 7 bales themselves I still wouldn't have opened any yet. Its nice stuff too.
Have you got a local horse riding facebook page??

kellybee

Visit site
Try the British Farming Forums too... a friend of mine who's local said he only got one cut this yr and has lots of sileage but is struggling to find plain wrapped hay. You might find someone willing to collect your surplus cheap and sell it on at a profit. If you advertised it that way too on the BFF you might have some interest.

http://farmingforum.co.uk/forums/index.php

HappyNeds

Visit site
With a bit of ingenuity, a long rope, and a couple of ramps, big bales can be loaded onto a trailer. Brake on trailer, one end of rope around bale, other end of rope on tow hitch of 4x4, and drive off!:D They slide up the ramps. Takes a bit of practice but once you get the knack it is quite satisfying!

Sounds like you've done this before!

Thanks everyone for the tips - I think I will try and advertise it as many places as possible but state collection only (and self-loading only although we can help with pushing!).

Any ideas on what would be reasonable to charge? They are the large round ones.

I know it would have to be less than 'best market' value to accommodate the fact that they need to be collected

kellybee

Visit site
My supplier is charging £35 a bale for the early cut and £25 a bale for the late cut plus delivery on all of the above.