Any ideas on what could be wrong with her?

Montyforever

Visit site
Before I start I'm doing a diary of symptoms for the vet and will be asking them at the end for their ideas :)

The symptoms are
- acute laminitis last year
- dull, not her usual bright happy self
- daily personality change, one day is bright and wanting attention the next she wants to be left alone
- eating but not gaining any weight unless on grass and obviously that's a no go area!
- footy and a shorter stride but no pulses/heat or other laminitis signs
- drinking her entire bucket one day and barely drinking the next.

The diary is for cushings/ems ect but she's so up and down the results in the diary could be a healthy happy pony one day and a unhappy one the next.
She's also only 8 which is why I'm doing a diary and not blood tests yet

I feel totally at a loss at the mo, I see her on a good day and think why am I worrying?! Then on a bad day I feel like I'm not doing enough!

Any help/ideas are appreciated :)

Amaranta

Visit site
Certainly sounds like cushings to me, they can get it at any age, I knew a 6yo with it - very sad :(

Are the hollows above her eyes filled? If so, that is a sure sign of cushings.

A very good idea to keep a diary, it can only help your vet.

dilbert

Visit site
It certainly sounds like something metabolic....insulin resistance, cushings type. My boy has always had swollen bits above his eyes but actually tested ok for cushings etc, we think he is most likely EPSM, possibly slight IR but who knows. He was really carefully managed last year and the swollen bits went and so far havnt returned.

have you looked here. http://www.ecirhorse.com

Hope you get t the bottom of it, I'd recommend getting your blood tests ASAP. How are you managing her? I stabled my boy during the day last year and used a muzzle in the field, then had him on a bare strip in the field and fed hay but he lost a lot of weight and became miserable. Now I've got him on a track around the field so reduced grass and I bought him a chum to play with. I had my grass analysed by forage plus and supplement him accordingly. He's doing ok :)

Good luck.

Montyforever

Visit site
I've been saying for ages that I didn't think above her eyes were filled but having just looked up some pictures of cushings horses they are yes :(

asommerville

Visit site
We had a pony with similar symptoms after blood test it was revealed that she had too much protein in her blood and it was making her ill

dilbert

Visit site
there are lots of supplements that might help, don't panic :) I really like Hilton Herbs Metabolyte Gold.

Montyforever

Visit site
At the moment she's out for 2/3 hours a day in a smallish field as she jumps out of pens and rips muzzles off! Fed soaked hay, a handful of healthy hooves for her oil and lunged/walked around so she's getting some exercise. If she's out for any longer she starts getting a pulse and if she isn't lunged her stifle starts slipping again can't win!!