Any ideas on what stallion to put to a Welsh D; want an eventer!

fruity

Visit site
Know this should be in breeding but thought you guys would be good to ask.
I'm putting my welsh D in foal next year and am wanting to produce something i can event. This would be a horse for life not one to sell on. The ideal would be a TB or TB x. The mare is a proven show pony and can jump the moon. She is only 14.2 though,her bad bits are that she hasn't the best canter in the world and she las=cks a little stamina xc but her trot is amazing,she is very well put together and as a broodmare she would be quite an asset, she has amazing bloodlines and a fantastic temperment and is very amenable.
I'm looking for the foal to be around 16hh max at maturity,know this is very hit and miss though.
I have been looking at Catherston Dazzler,i've heard Jennie's stallions are quite lively and can produce high energy youngstock but seeing as my mare is a sweetheart and never mareish or un genuine it didn't bother me. I used to know a son of his and he was very strong minded!
I'm very very keen on Jumbo but he stands quite big and i'm not sure if he's too large really,he is however at the top of my list at the mo.
Any ideas on any other stallions,i'm looking for something not too chunky,my mare is a l/w welsh.

TN_285-8543_IMG.jpg

TN_285-8542_IMG.jpg
DSC_8641.jpg

Taffster

Visit site
Just throwing something in here, have you thought about the maesmarnach welsh d stallions, they make fantastic eventers are bred very large and you will keep the foal registered. There is one in particular i think it was maesmarnach viking warrior that was the highest graded stallion a few years ago.
Take a look at their website
ps they dont look like welshies

SpottedCat

Visit site
Personally I think Catherston stallions throw professional's rides and are not for the average amateur rider and owner, myself included in that! They are very sharp, need a lot of work and patience and can put you on the floor quicker than you can think! I have had, and have known, several Catherston horses, and yes, they are athletic and talented, but seriously I do not want something that is going to be a headache every time I ride it.

As a youngster who is currently eventing I love Wish Upon a Star - he's a great stallion who is doing well at Novice now, but is relatively unproven stallion-wise in terms of what his off-spring are like so is more of a gamble. Of course it all depends on what suits your mare too!

Divasmum

Visit site
Dazzler foals can be very tricky characters. Have you looked at thoroughbred or Irish Sports stallions or as already suggested a big quality section D?

fruity

Visit site
Thats what i've heard and as i've already got one mental spooly horse i wouldn't want to have a horse from a foal and it be a nightmare. Right you've made my mind up,think the Catherstons are out. Have just been looking up Wish Upon A Star as saw him mentioned on another thread,his stud fee reflects what you've said,will def look into him.

Spotted Cat:
What do you think about Jumbo? Do you think he'd produce a too chunkier horse?

fruity

Visit site
not wanting a pure welsh again,i want something with a slightly faster pace now. I have looked at Viking before but i'm after something with a slighter taller frame.

Rachmeister

Visit site
My horse is TB x Welsh D (dam) and by Langarth Triple, a US TB sire based in Wales I think at Langarth Stud. He is 16hh dun (Triple is bay) and has a truly fantastic temperament, no trouble for an amateur at all. I would have another one! He moves well enough for dressage and has pre-noviced in the past. I have had a Jumbo eventer and he was (still is) a lot higher maintenance. Langarth Triple has sired a few part bred eventers that have been successful. Worth checking out.

foolsedition

Visit site
I know a lovely TB type (not sure if hes pure) called MY ECLIPSE owned and ridden by Melanie Henneh. Look him up on the british eventing website for his record. He is bay about 16.1. He is a very nice boy. I could get you details if you are interested.

Joss

Visit site
That is an interesting observation SC. I event a Catherston horse. He is superb but not exactly anyone's ride. He is a little too enthusiastic for his own good sometimes and he was professionally produced from 4 to 7 years old. He is mid teens now but still at times sharp.

As far as the OP is corncerned, if it was me I would be looking at 'quality' type stallion with predominantly TB blood, to add a bit of height & speed/stamina.

fruity

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I know a lovely TB type (not sure if hes pure) called MY ECLIPSE owned and ridden by Melanie Henneh. Look him up on the british eventing website for his record. He is bay about 16.1. He is a very nice boy. I could get you details if you are interested.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just looking at him now,he stands in cornwall at the Trenerth AI Stud

SpottedCat

Visit site
I think I'd agree with Kerilli that Jumbo could be too chunky, and I'd be looking either for pure TB or something which is mainly TB - my horse is out of a full TB mare and a 'british warmblood' stallion who in reality was mostly TB with a bit of ID - he has the speed, agility and talent of the TB and the feet and sanity of the ID so is just perfect. Sadly the sire is now deceased, wish he wasn't as I could have sold my horse 100 times over and people keep asking me where I got him and if there are any more - shame no-one likes him enough to make me a serious off on him hey?!
wink.gif

SpottedCat

Visit site
QR: Joss, I suspect you ride a heck of a lot better than me, I've only evented up to Novice and am a bit of a clueless amateur who got lucky with a good horse. I sat on one recently belonging to someone else, and my god was he talented and a super ride, but I just know it took work and patience to produce him to that level and he is still capable of being rather sharp!

I'm not saying I'd never have another one, but I probably wouldn't try and produce another one myself, I just do not think I am a) a good enough rider, and b) have enough time round working full time to give one the attention and time they need. After all I compete for fun - my Catherston horse had me in tears more times than I care to remember whereas my current horse is a compete joy to ride and own and I always come back from competing him with a grin on my face (coupled with a lot of frustration that I don't ride well enough to do him justice and give him the record he deserves!).

LEC

Opinions are like bum holes, everyone has one.
Visit site
Welsh x pure TB will give you a cracking eventer.

Loads of welsh section D crosses have done very well. The Langarth horse's all have a welsh lineage. Faere Vision who is a proven 4* horse has Welsh Section D in his background.

Brendon Hill have some nice TB stallions who will make a good sensible cross. I am not a fan of It's Without Doubt but really like Future Role and Hot Rumour.

Langarth Triple is well worth looking at as his progeny really perform. He has also been crossed with Welsh before and improves them.

Revolution - seems to have stock that is really performing well.

ihatework

Visit site
I would agree on a full TB for your mare, there is quite a lot of choice, perhaps have a browse on the breeders section?

I will however say that not all Catherston horses are professional rides, I have a lovely Dutch Gold horse who I got having had my nerves completely destroyed by a previous horse. This Dutch Gold was worth his weight in gold, honest, genuine, talented and generally straightforward and he gave me my first positive experience of British Eventing! If you want to use Catherston perhaps consider Liberator

Thistle

Visit site
Mill law is not pure TB, he is 1/8 Arab.

I have a 14.2/3 Sec D X Newfie mare who events at Novice.

Stallions I am considering for her next year are

Weston Justice

Mill law

Future Illusion (Trak x TB)

washington Postman

christine48

Visit site
Mill Law would be a good choice. His stock are now proving themselves and he also competed to a good level himself.

tabithakat64

Visit site
I really like Maesmynach Viking Warrior(actually I like all the Maesmynach stallions). In your position I'd probably go for Mill Law though.

ajf

Visit site
I agree with others Catherston horses are hot and I think Jumbo would be too chunky with your mare
I'm another fan of Wish Upon a Star and Future Illusion as young stallions but both have limited young stock on the ground but have nicer stud fees at the moment
A pure TB with also be good (you could easily go for a point 2 point stallion who should throw a harder horse than flat).
Good Luck

Amaretto

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Future Illusion or Mill law would be my choices, all lovely true eventer stamps
smile.gif
Denounce is also worth a look?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, like Future Illusion too - younger stallion but pure quality and would add the height you need etc. Heard his temperament is fab too. Jumbo is a bit chunky to cross with a welshie IMO. Google what Mary King used for her breeding programme, can't remember off the top of my head.

volatis

www.volatis.co.uk
Depends what you want to improve on in the mare, but Weston Justice, Groomsbridge May I would give you the blood you need and not add too much height. Mill law throws some very nice stock but he is bigger so you'll get a bit more height from him.
I like Set Adrift who stands at Woodlander stud in South Wales but sadly natural cover only