Any ideas what could be wrong?

Zero00000

Visit site
Good friend has a young cob, Ive never met pony, only know he is young maybe 18 months and a cob,
Pony is rugged, fed fast fibre, chaff, pony nut (I think)

Call tonight from friend horse keeps going down and hard to get up and cold, he done the same a few weeks ago, eating no obvious sign of illness, no rolling/thrashing.

Pony up to date vaccs, wormed, on poor grazing (never been there, what I have been told) but in during day on hay, not in any work at all, brought in, groomed, hayed fed, turned out, no previous issues with pony, he is a good weight.

Vet was called and has taken bloods, and injected antibiotic/pain relief and prescribed bute to 'see how he goes' until bloods are back in.

Vets says possible flu, fighting infection or 'something else'

This is all the information I know at the moment, friend was quite obviously worried, so was just asking my advise, I can get further information from her if needed.

She lost her 2yo mare this time last year from simular symptoms, and is frantic, so I said I would ask and see if there is anything more she can do up until she has blood results.

Thanks for reading.

Grinchmass

Visit site
If something similar has happened before to a previous horse in the same field (I'm guessing) my first thoughts would have been something toxic they're eating. Although they would be showing more outward signs of illness and not eating etc.

I don't know where you are but there have been a few flu outbreaks in certain areas recently I believe.

If the horse has deteriorated or there is still something a miss I'd be getting the vet out again, as it could be any number of things, or if she's waiting for the bloods I'd be tempted to leave him in, with hay where he can be monitored, especially if he keeps going down.

Moomin1

Visit site
It's pointless asking people on a forum what could be wrong.

I would wait for the blood results and take it from there.

Zero00000

Visit site
Sorry I should have added the 2yo that passed last year always had 'something wrong' always breaking out in lumps and bumps, itchy, wouldn't put weight on, we moved to a new field that had been rested and thought that would help her, (I say we, as in my friend and her 2 and me and my 3) but the vet could not determine a cause, friend moved off where we were and to a new place, it got to the stage owner decided enough was enough and the horse was suffering so she took the kinder option, this new pony has only ever been where she is now, but she is panicking because of what happened before.

We are in Kent/SE London.

Will do some research and pass on to owner, we have first hand experience with Wobblers, a pony we took on at previous yard.

I haven't heard from her since the vet was there, I am assuming he is in, there are owners on site and I know they have previously helped with night time checks,
(Vet was called this evening, so bloods have only just been taken)

Thank you again

Zero00000

Visit site
It's pointless asking people on a forum what could be wrong.

I would wait for the blood results and take it from there.

Does it hurt to ask? Does it cause pony any more suffering? Just to ask if someone has had a similar experience? Vet has been and bloods are taken, until then it is a waiting game, a little bit of research will not harm anyone, so yes, it may be pointless, but if you have nothing constructive, there's a very simple answer for you, do not reply to my 'pointless' thread, there is no obligation.

I unlike others will not take your 'foul' attitude Moomin.

Moomin1

Visit site
Does it hurt to ask? Does it cause pony any more suffering? Just to ask if someone has had a similar experience? Vet has been and bloods are taken, until then it is a waiting game, a little bit of research will not harm anyone, so yes, it may be pointless, but if you have nothing constructive, there's a very simple answer for you, do not reply to my 'pointless' thread, there is no obligation.

I unlike others will not take your 'foul' attitude Moomin.

My intention was not to be 'foul'.

My opinion of the matter is that it's pointless to pre-empt at this stage. Await blood results and take from there. :)

cambrica

Visit site
How awful. My first thought would be to check for trees such as sycamore/oak and ragwort, beyond that I don't know. I would also suggest dropping all feed and just giving a chaff with no molasses or alfalfa incase he has a food intolerance. Hopefully the vet will come up with an answer quickly.

Zero00000

Visit site
No 'pre-empting' at all, bloods have been taken, so regardless of anything said on here, they will hopefully show a cause to little ponies illness, if, however, they do not, there may be other things to put forward to the vet and further testing to be carried out from that.

For instance, we have a further 3 possibilities (although would assume they would show on a blood test) to look at,

There is no harm in asking, and I care dearly for my friend and her equine family, so if there is anyway to help the her, the vet, pony and a diagnosis then I shall bloody well help in anyway I can, so whilst it may seem pointless to you, if these bloods come back clear, other avenues may need to be taken, and rather look now than later, after all, there is a sick pony to think of.

Zero00000

Visit site
How awful. My first thought would be to check for trees such as sycamore/oak and ragwort, beyond that I don't know. I would also suggest dropping all feed and just giving a chaff with no molasses or alfalfa incase he has a food intolerance. Hopefully the vet will come up with an answer quickly.

Thank you, I will ask about the trees and weeds, and advise her about food, he has been on the same feed since she has owned him (a year now) only change being fast fibre approx 2 months ago.

I hope a diagnosis happens soon too, she is so worried after loosing her girl last year, although this pony has been well up until now, the way she is speaking is as though she is going through the same again, must be so hard for her.

cambrica

Visit site
Thank you, I will ask about the trees and weeds, and advise her about food, he has been on the same feed since she has owned him (a year now) only change being fast fibre approx 2 months ago.

I hope a diagnosis happens soon too, she is so worried after loosing her girl last year, although this pony has been well up until now, the way she is speaking is as though she is going through the same again, must be so hard for her.
I too would be out of my mind with worry. Fingers crossed for her and her boy x

PendleEquestrian

Visit site
The myotypicalapathy prob spelt bum to tit, little was and is know about it , if there is scycamore trees
Close by it might be worth mentioning to the vet, because the sooner its treated the better, I dont know a huge lot about it, ihdg have a very good warning and link of symptoms, vets are still catching up with this latest development,

Zero00000

Visit site
Thank you for the further suggestions.

He seemed a lot more comfortable today, My friend says he was a lot stronger in himself, and hadn't gone down at all last I spoke to her, and was still happily eating, he has been stabled,
She was told 1-2 weeks for bloods sooner if he goes downhill.

Thanks again.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
She was told 1-2 weeks for bloods sooner if he goes downhill.

Um - why should how long bloods take to process rely on whether he's going downhill??

If they're diagnostic tests they may take a week however he is doing. But a normal blood profile which gives very good indications of what is wrong should be possible within a day or two.

cambrica

Visit site
Oh no :( That is terrible news, your poor friend xxx I sincerely hope she can get some explanation as to why. So sad :(
RIP Albie xxx

benson21

Visit site
Oh my goodness, how sad. Please send our thoughts to your friend.

And maybe when its easier for her to talk about it, I think a cause would be interesting would know.

canteron

Visit site
My intention was not to be 'foul'.

My opinion of the matter is that it's pointless to pre-empt at this stage. Await blood results and take from there. :)

Mooning, Vets are not gods, they are just people trained to have an opinion. As they say, put 10 vets in a room and you will have 20 opinions.

Nothing wrong with the owner having a few other thoughts to add to the pot.

Things you can do are take a note of the trees around the field , sycamore are particularly bad but even things like acorns and horse chestnut could be causing the problem. Feeding masses of good quality hay so horse doesn't have to eat grass and just generally think what changes have happened.

Fingers crossed for you

Zero00000

Visit site
Thanks everyone, was a rushed posted last night.

Albie went down yesterday morning and wouldn't get up, The vet was phoned and came and put him on a drip, he was too weak to travel, they tried everything they could but he had given up and he was put to sleep after battling with him all day.

Vets thinks it may have been a virus, but will let my friend know the findings of the blood test.

She is quite obviously heartbroken, but is coping well knowing he is not suffering any more and she has given him the best life possible.

He was only a baby with a whole lifetime ahead of him, Life can be so cruel at times :(

MiniMilton

Visit site
That is so sad. I hope the owners are ok. To lose 2 young ones so close together must be devastating. With similar symptoms I would investigate further to get to the bottom of the cause if at all possible

Zero00000

Visit site
I have been very carefully suggesting and asking things, without trying to upset her further, She has 2 other horses, a 3 yo and a 19 yo, all on the same grazing, and other horses too, and her sister has 1 on the same grazing too.

I will update you all as soon as she lets me know, at this stage I don't know if she is doing a post mortem, I don't want to upset her by asking things like that :(