Any ideas what he might have done?

fankino04

Visit site
About 10 mins into our walk today my boy yelped very loadly and stopped. I assumed he had stood on something sharp so started checking his paws but couldn't find anything, when I got to his near hind he sat / lay down with it up, still couldn't see anything so turned for home. He's not lame but is walking very slowly and gingerly and clearly doesn't want to move much. Once home I've washed his paws and still can't see any debris or cuts but he still doesn't want to move and seemed worried about lying down (although he has now). There doesn't seem to be any area on him that is sore to touch or any heat / swellings but he's not a happy boy. Any ideas what he could have done? He was only plodding along in walk at the time??

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
My fab GSD Odin cantered across the yard and damaged his cruciate ligament. He was lame for about 6 weeks, but it did get better.

Looking at what he was doing, it was hard to believe he managed to injure himself.

Aru

Visit site
Hindleg lameness means cruciate ligament issues are the biggest risk. I swear those just want to blow all the time....but if the structures in the back leg are at set angles some dogs are like walking timebombs for them and its a gradual thing that they seem to repeatly weaken...and then tear with minimal acute cause.

I'd have him vet checked sooner rather then later. If mild damage anti inflams and strict rest can sometimes help dramatically...and reduce the risk of turning into a tear needing surgery...

Red-1

Visit site
That was the protocol for ours, he was only 2 but after rest and anti inflammatories, he was sound until he passed at 10 years old from a stroke.

He was on a lead for that time, and if it had not worked he would have needed surgery.

fankino04

Visit site
I've booked vet appointment for the morning, as he's not lame on any leg I wondered if he had somehow hurt his back, he is moving around when asked or if he needs the loo etc but he went to his water bowl and just stood looking at it, I wondered if he might be avoiding stretching his neck down to drink?

{97702}

Visit site
I was going to say give him some metacam but I don’t suppose everyone has some handy like I tend to do! Maybe put his water bowl on a platform of some kind today so he has access to water easily? I hope he is better in the morning

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Being out of date won't matter. I rang the vet who was a very small practice at the time because a cat was showing signs of cystitis. He was just on his way out, so advised me to give metacam and a dose of anti-bs that we happened to have left over from a different cat with a different illness. I did say the metacam was out of date, he assured me that it would still be fine and effective. He was absolutely right and he saw her the following morning. Best vet we've ever had!

Red-1

Visit site
I too have used out of date Metacam. Odin had it at 2 yrs old, and I next needed it for general aches and pains at 8. It was fine until I got some new stuff.

{97702}

Visit site
I have to admit I've got so many bottles of the stuff I've given up checking wheher they are in date or not - I need to get organised and use them in date order (or more probably throw some out!)

Blazingsaddles

Visit site
About 10 mins into our walk today my boy yelped very loadly and stopped. I assumed he had stood on something sharp so started checking his paws but couldn't find anything, when I got to his near hind he sat / lay down with it up, still couldn't see anything so turned for home. He's not lame but is walking very slowly and gingerly and clearly doesn't want to move much. Once home I've washed his paws and still can't see any debris or cuts but he still doesn't want to move and seemed worried about lying down (although he has now). There doesn't seem to be any area on him that is sore to touch or any heat / swellings but he's not a happy boy. Any ideas what he could have done? He was only plodding along in walk at the time??
Spinal?

fankino04

Visit site
Well he's moving about better now and is coming to see us etc rather than just lie in the hall looking sorry for himself and was much more enthusiastic about his supper than he was for his earlier feed. Still not quite stepping through fully from behind but definitely walking better so I may have been panicking a bit too much earlier, I seem to like paying the vets to reassure me that he'll be fine with a bit of rest lol.

fankino04

Visit site
He seems a bit better again this morning, walked over quite perky when I picked up lead to take him to the vet but still stiff behind and didn't jump at the door to go for his pee first thing like he normally does, vet thinks pinched nerve, had very poor flexion on his left hind but no pain through back so on gabapentin and anti inflammatories for 1 week and no walks and if no better then mri. I'm hopeful that there was such an improvement over night without the drugs then he should respond well.

deb_l222

Visit site
Fizzing eck, I hope he’s insured if your vet’s first thought is an MRI scan as a means of diagnosis :)

Sounds more positive but I know what you mean about paying a vet just to tell you everything is OK. I often start a lot of consultations with “I’m probably overreacting but......”

fankino04

Visit site
I did just look up the average cost of an mri for a dog and was somewhat shocked! He's clearly happier today and is moving about more, ( not sure that's a good thing) but being sensible. Am a little worried that even if this gets sorted with drugs and rest it may be something that reoccurs? He's not got great confirmation, he has a long back that has a bit of a sway back appearance so I always thought he might suffer with back issues when he gets older but I'm trying to tell myself not to overthink it...

fankino04

Visit site
Well 3 days on and he is moving much better, seems much happier and gets up and lies down much easier. He is still a bit stiff behind but is definitely taking much longer steps, but worried he's feeling so much better that he will soon start jumping at the back door for his morning pee or rushing back in to wait for breakfast. The vet only said about resting for 1 week and if no better to go back, so if he seems better does he still need more rest or is 1 week enough? Google seems to suggest 8 weeks of rest? He got 2 weeks of pills so should he take all of these even if he seems OK by the end of the week? I feel a phone call to the vet coming on on Friday lol.

eatmyshorts

Visit site
Glad to hear he's getting better. I'd give the vet a ring & just ask if he'd recommend more rest, & if you need to complete the course of tablets.

fankino04

Visit site
Sadly had to have a trip back to the vets today as he "just wasn't right" not as lame looking as last time and had no big "ow" moment like last time but very unhappy and reluctant to move. This time there was pain in his back when the vet checked, no nerve issues through his legs though and both hips had full movement although the right one was very stiff. He is 9 now and as I said not great conformation as well as being a large breed, am I jumping the gun to think this might be the start of a long term issue?

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
Have you ever had his hips x rayed? Is dysplasia common in mals? I know of one that had a double replacement (Noel thingy did it).

fankino04

Visit site
No, until a few months ago he hasn't had any issues, I think this might be the start of some hip issues but could be panicking unnecessarily, he has had his first dose of drugs at tea time and is much happier already, just concerned due to it only being 2 months ago that he was having issues, his age and his conformation

Clodagh

Visit site
It will do no harm to put him on a joint supplement. Chiffy recommended riaflex and it has done our old dodgy elbowed lab so much good. She ran out recently and I got a different one and a week on she is noticeably stiffer.