Any ideas what this might have been?

HashRouge

Visit site
Horse is an 18 year old, retired Welsh gelding. Has had various soundness issues (hence being retired) but has been field sound and healthy for years, never sick or sorry.

So this evening I "fed" him (he gets a tiny handful of his field mate's feed, to make him feel included). I was then pottering around the field checking the electric fencing and both ponies were following me and seemed fine. We got to the far end of the field and the dog in the neighbouring house started barking and spooked them (I think they were feeling quite fresh as they don't normally mind barking). They shot off across the field in canter, but it was probably 6 or 7 strides max and then they were back in walk very quickly.

Anyway, when I got back over to that side of the field (very shortly after), I noticed that the Welsh was shaking, badly, and seemed slightly tucked up. He also looked un-coordinated in his legs, especially his hind end. Wobbly, would be a good description. I ran straight back to my car to get my phone as honestly thought I was going to need the emergency vet, he really did look awful, then tried to catch him. He is famously hard to catch and wouldn't let me get him, even though he looked distressed, was still shaking and was not running away as he normally would, but walking away/ turning his bum on me. He was still looking noticeably wobbly at this point, and I could see him shaking. I spent a couple of minutes trying to trick him into a small paddock, where I can normally catch him, when luckily my friend turned up to see her horse and with two of us we were able to catch him easily. However, by the time I got hold of him, he was back to normal - no shaking, moving fine, perfectly calm. We walked and trotted him up and there was no sign of the coordination issues I'd seen before. I stayed to keep an eye on him for a bit longer but he really did seem fine so in the end I left them to it. However, I'm now racking my brains as to what it could have been.

In all, I'd say his episode probably lasted 6 or 7 minutes. He was not cold, as it was a mild afternoon and he is a hardy little soul. I also can't imagine that he was so scared of the dog that he started shaking (he's used to them) and this wouldn't explain why he looked wobbly/ un-coordinated.

So, any ideas? What would you be thinking if this was your horse?

Jellymoon

Visit site
Ooh, yes, something strange, maybe neurological, but could be nothing serious…maybe tweaked something when he shot off on canter?
I would keep an eye and get vet if it happens again.

Goldenstar

Visit site
It’s something for sure and you have to wonder if it’s been happening for a while and it’s just the first time you have been there .
It suggests to me that he has pain and is adjusting for it unless he’s suddenly spooked .
I would talk to a trusted vet ( you need the right vet in this type of situation) I would consider getting a Acpat trained physio to assess him if the vet thinks it appropriate .
if he’s adjusting to save something the muscles will show that .
I think it’s probably an issue of watching him more if you can ,looking for subtle changes .
Considering looking at blood to see if there are chronic or acute markers for pain.
You could try a course of anti inflammatory drugs and see if he looks different .

Last edited:

HashRouge

Visit site
It’s something for sure and you have to wonder if it’s been happening for a while and it’s just the first time you have been there .
It suggests to me that he has pain and is adjusting for it unless he’s suddenly spooked .
I would talk to a trusted vet ( you need the right vet in this type of situation) I would consider getting a Acpat trained physio to assess him if the vet thinks it appropriate .
if he’s adjusting to save something the muscles will show that .
I think it’s probably an issue of watching him more if you can looking for subtle changes .
Considering looking at blood to see if there are chronic or acute markers for pain.
You could try a course of anti inflammatory drugs and see if he looks different .
Thanks for this (and everyone else). Yes it's an odd one! I had wondered about something neurological, but this is also something to consider. I did wonder if it was something that had happened before. Luckily I'm on school hols at the moment so can spend plenty of time up at the field and observe him, and sort out vet etc if necessary. It was certainly very, very strange.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
One guess would be his heart, I've seen the distress, incoordination and wobbling twice in horses in heart failure. The running from the dog would have sent his heart racing, the sudden stop them leaves nowhere for the increased blood flow to dissipate and the pressure builds up on the heart. A horse I was on which fatally burst an artery happened a few strides after stopping from a gallop.

I'm not sure whether it would be treatable, if you wanted to, but I would possibly get it checked out. Or maybe see what happens if you chase him a few yards yourself, but if it is his heart then I guess that could kill him, which would be pretty upsetting, to say the least.

brighteyes

Pooh-Bah
Visit site
My first thought was adrenaline overload, then heart. I get wobbly with shock and my heart races with the adrenaline.

Has he got Cushing's? That can have very strange effects on them - blindness for instance.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I would get him checked by a vet. If it is either heart failure (which can be chronic, rather than sudden) vet will be able to tell, or as GS suggests he might be masking pain somewhere in his normal routine.

HashRouge

Visit site
Thanks all, lots of good suggestions here (I mean, not good for the horse, but you know what I mean). He does have a heart murmur though it was mild last time he had his heart listened to (December), so it's possible this could have progressed. I will update if we ever do get to the bottom of it.

CMcC

Visit site
Could it be something as simple as a bee/wasp sting? Happened to one of mine, shaking and very distressed, called the vet, but the time she arrived he was fine. But she pointed out a huge wasps nest n the corner of the field shelter.

Schollym

Visit site
The comments about heart failure match what happened to my lad .He was 19 and still in work. Out in the field and was galloping about because we were moving other horses fields. He stopped looked like he he had gone lame in his back leg, then it looked like it might be both legs walked down to me in a very wobbly way and collapsed and died. We didn’t have an autopsy but the vet comfirmed it was likely to have been a heart attack.

JanetGeorge

www.horseandhound.co.uk
The comments about heart failure match what happened to my lad .He was 19 and still in work. Out in the field and was galloping about because we were moving other horses fields. He stopped looked like he he had gone lame in his back leg, then it looked like it might be both legs walked down to me in a very wobbly way and collapsed and died. We didn’t have an autopsy but the vet comfirmed it was likely to have been a heart attack.

I lost a diffeent type of mare but also though a heart attack the only likely cause. She had been retired fom breeding for several years (and her first foal nearly killed her.) She was 25. With her group of mares she was strolling down one of the fenced tracks to come in fore a trim. She half reared, threw herself sideways through the electric fence - and died immediately!

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Different but similar and inspired by the heart suggestions.
My dog went like this after chasing a cat one day. Completely the same as you described. It happened twice and the vets diagnosed a heart defect. It was manageable.

HashRouge

Visit site
He was very much himself today, which is good as I do like to avoid an out of hours vet visit if I can help it (yesterday's incident was 6.30pm, naturally) and I've already had one this year (11.30pm on a very wet and windy Saturday in February, really not fun!). I don't think it is chronic pain, after watching him closely this afternoon (I could be wrong of course), so I'm leaning more towards heart and will obviously look at getting that checked once the weekend is over. It was very nice to get a kiss and cuddle from him this evening though after yesterday's scare (despite being hard to catch, he is very affectionate!). I always think of him as the "new" horse, but actually he was bought for my sister about 13 years ago and has been living with me and my old Arab for almost 5 years now!

Nb the handsome Portuguese vet who has attended my last three callouts is going to think I'm inventing reasons to get him out!

Maryann

Visit site
Our 28 year old Welsh cob had a staggering unco-ordinated moment the other night after trotting in for his tea. We know he has heart issues and are braced for the worst case scenario. He's been fine since and I hope I haven't just jinxed him.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
He was very much himself today, which is good as I do like to avoid an out of hours vet visit if I can help it (yesterday's incident was 6.30pm, naturally) and I've already had one this year (11.30pm on a very wet and windy Saturday in February, really not fun!). I don't think it is chronic pain, after watching him closely this afternoon (I could be wrong of course), so I'm leaning more towards heart and will obviously look at getting that checked once the weekend is over. It was very nice to get a kiss and cuddle from him this evening though after yesterday's scare (despite being hard to catch, he is very affectionate!). I always think of him as the "new" horse, but actually he was bought for my sister about 13 years ago and has been living with me and my old Arab for almost 5 years now!

Nb the handsome Portuguese vet who has attended my last three callouts is going to think I'm inventing reasons to get him out!
Hey, I have a hot dog vet, there is nothing wrong with caution ?‍♀️