Any ideas where I can.....

gunnergundog

Visit site
....purchase the following off the peg please?

72" (or longer) black 3/4" wide rubber covered reins with billets/hooks (not buckles)

I can't be the only jockey with short arms that has a horse with a neck the length of a giraffe......or am I??

Have just spent over an hour on google and can find continental reins but not rubber covered ones. I have various saddler friends who could make them up for me I guess but I really could do with them like yesterday. HELP!

Squidge90

Visit site
The only place I can think of that have a large range of reins would be Henry James Saddlery. All super quality but I’m not sure if they have what you are looking for?

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
I was going to suggest Henry James, but their extra full reins are only 60” long. I sympathise, OP, I have long arms and my 16.1hh mare has a long length of rein, but I find 60” barely long enough if I want to ride her on a long rein.

gunnergundog

Visit site
Thank you every one for your suggestions.

It looks like I am going to have to get them made up - my current reins are 60" so, the same as the Henry James and Jeffries ones. You've given me a couple of names though to try for bespoke ones, so I will be calling later on today to see who can deliver the quickest. Appreciated.

VRIN

Visit site
i have the opposite problem - long arms and a short necked horse - I end up with half the rein to spare!! hard to find short reins too!

The Trooper

Visit site
....purchase the following off the peg please?

72" (or longer) black 3/4" wide rubber covered reins with billets/hooks (not buckles)

I can't be the only jockey with short arms that has a horse with a neck the length of a giraffe......or am I??

Have just spent over an hour on google and can find continental reins but not rubber covered ones. I have various saddler friends who could make them up for me I guess but I really could do with them like yesterday. HELP!

What do you intend to use them for? The reason I ask is I have a shire with a very long neck. In the past I have bastardised 2 sets of reins into 1 longer set. Indeed I think I am going to have to do the same with my new reins that I have bought because my others were black and not brown like my bridle - My hands are JUST on the rubber of my current new reins and I feel them far too short.

If you want I can give you a more details explanation about what I have done and maybe also sort you some photos?

gunnergundog

Visit site
What do you intend to use them for? The reason I ask is I have a shire with a very long neck. In the past I have bastardised 2 sets of reins into 1 longer set. Indeed I think I am going to have to do the same with my new reins that I have bought because my others were black and not brown like my bridle - My hands are JUST on the rubber of my current new reins and I feel them far too short.

If you want I can give you a more details explanation about what I have done and maybe also sort you some photos?

I intend to use them for everyday riding......I especially have a problem with the horse when flat schooling, warming up and cooling down and when giving him a break if I ask him to go with his neck down and out. My hands are then off the rubber and either side of the buckle that joins the two reins together.

splash30

Visit site
Google sidesaddle reins, they are longer than the norm.
Or ask a saddle maker, will be more reasonable thank you think. I had a gorgeous soft 3 fold 60" girth made for £90.

Leo Walker

Visit site
The ones I linked to are 72", with billets and £28 but only seem to be continental reins. Its worth asking if they will make up the ones you want though

gunnergundog

Visit site
Found these, but they're pricey...

https://www.totally-tack.co.uk/p_5005_extra-long-english-leather-rubber-reins

Just noticed they have buckles, but as they're made to order I'm sure you could have billets.

Ordered today. Thank you Cobgoblin......totally bespoke......even down to the type of rubber chosen and precisely where I wanted it on the rein (distance from billets and buckle)! Whatever width I required, did I mention that billets were no problem (?), colour of stitching specified and.....hopefully.....with me in less than two weeks. :D

And yes, I have been called a fussy, faddy female in the past.....also, far worse! However, I know what I want. :)

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
Ordered today. Thank you Cobgoblin......totally bespoke......even down to the type of rubber chosen and precisely where I wanted it on the rein (distance from billets and buckle)! Whatever width I required, did I mention that billets were no problem (?), colour of stitching specified and.....hopefully.....with me in less than two weeks. :D

They are made by Phil Goodchild and it's where I had mine made. They were exactly as I asked and arrived when he said they would.

gunnergundog

Visit site
It disconnected every time I rang the number I found for Phil G on the internet (07811 295098 ). Oh well, not to be. If you have an up to date number for him, let me know for future reference. Afraid, I'm not a great person for doing facebook, which I know is how you advised me to contact him , but I had an incidence of identity fraud many years ago, which facebook played a part in and since then I prefer not to go there.