Any ideas why??

hadleigh

Visit site
Heard this strange and disturbing story from my dental hygenist (she isn't horsey so may have got it wrong!) One of her customers came in obviously upset and when asked why said that she had to have a five year old horse put down because of a bowel problem. She said that when the men came to take the body away they got CHAINSAWS out and carved him up there before removing the parts and taking them away. I have never heard of this practice before and find it quite horrifying. I am in Cheshire and so don't think FMD has anything to do with it. Anyone have any ideas???

MizElz

Visit site
christ, thats barbaric; what sort of people did she get in!?!?! i mean, i know sometimes its not easy when you lose a horse, as they are so big: when my boy died suddenly in his stable, they had a hell of a time getting him out, but were determined to keep him in tact. i wasnt there, but it was a case of preserving his dignity, i think. that said, i used to go round with my gitface father when he was shoeing at the kennels, and i witnessed all sorts of horrid sights
frown.gif

Smash

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
(she isn't horsey so may have got it wrong!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Most probably.

That, or someone was pulling her leg.

hadleigh

Visit site
Let's hope that is the case because even though the horse is dead it doesn't bear thinking about does it?! I have lost two horses over the last few years and they were both removed intact and with as much dignity as possible with such a large animal. The hygenist was quite upset herself as she found the idea horrendous. I did assure her that this practice was not the norm.

merlinsquest

Visit site
Perhaps she got the wrong end of the stick if told that they put chains round its legs or neck to pull it into lorry???

Cant believe that anyone would cut a horse up.... the mess alone would be horrific.

Nickijem

Visit site
I bet the story originated from the fact that they put chains on the horse and someone misheard or misunderstood and it soon turned from chains to chainsaws! At least I hope that's the case. When my horse was pts in April the guys who came to take him were fab. No chains - they rolled him onto a mat that turned into a sort of body bag. It was the body bag that was then winched into the horsebox. Very dignified and respectful.

kimky

Visit site
Afaid that is true, sadly. i know a horse who sadly died in his stable and they could not get him out, they tried hook by crook and sadly the chain saw was the only way, but i could not witness this, i think it is discusting !!! thats how come if any horses that have to be PST at our yard they are taken to a empty field so the owners dont have to go through the horro.

TequilaMist

Visit site
Was told that a horse had this done when stable it had been PTS(don't know reasons it wasn't done outside maybe couldn't walk) had a narrow aisle(saw the place,there was no way you could have dragged horse through) but have never heard of it in any usual situation as obviously pick spot with access.

TarrSteps

Visit site
If they had the horse PTS surely someone would have thought to do it somewhere accessible? I'm supporting the "chains > chainsaws" theory as well.

But I've certainly known of it happening when a horse has died in an awkwardly placed stable or other inaccesible area. Not nice. I first learned of such things when I was about 14 and I had nightmares about it for ages.

It's a macabre joke but I always say you can tell the experienced horsemen when a horse is nearing the end because they're trying to get the animal somewhere out in the open while it's still ambulatory. You may think it's cruel but if you've ever tried even to winch a dead horse out of a tight spot then you'd now why it's important.

Yuck.