Any low cost ideas for stopping hay blowing off field

jenki13

Visit site
An old back tyre from a tractor. Could ask a local farmer possibly?

Used one last year to keep hay together. Also easy to roll if need to move if the ground is getting poached around it.

sychnant

Visit site
The pallet type containers that roof tiles etc are packed in. I got mine free when our roof was re-tiled, but you can get them free from places that sell building equipment - our local garden centre had some.

Or you can get 5 normal pallets and fix them together, I'm told cable ties work well but haven't tried it myself :)

I tried tractor tyres, but found that the horses pulled all the hay out then peed on it :p They don't seem to pull it out of the tile containers :)

*hic*

village idiot :D
Visit site
Onion box - costs around £2.50 - £5 depending on source. I cut them down to suit the ponies and leave them tall for the horses. Thus it's possible for me to give the ponies ad lib hay and the horses haylage in the same field:D

Ibblebibble

Visit site
2 old car tyres on top of eachother, tie them together with rope or baler twine to stop them getting knocked apart;) in windy weather i've started taking the hay to the fields stuffed in old chaff bags, stops it getting blown off the wheelbarrow:) I've also used an old blue barrel to stuff hay into,usually use them as water containers but they're good for hay too:)

lottie940

Visit site
I had this problem- can't use hay nets as I have a stupid youngster that puts his feet in everything so I have invested in hay bags which I bought from equestrian clearance for about £6 each.

They are canvas bag that hangs from what ever you fix it to and has a hole in the front of it. No nets, horses get heads and legs stuck!!

amandaco2

Visit site
haynets tied to fence posts knocked in what ever part of the field you like.

fence post is about £1.60 ish each.

or 2 fence posts about 1m apart with 2 rubber mats attatched on- stuff the space between the mats full of hay....... safe for those thoses that like to insert bodily parts into haynets etc.....

Last edited:

kit279

Visit site
Last edited:

soltydog

Visit site
I use an old IBC 1000 ltr container, I removed the plastic inner this leaves the aluminium cage the horses can eat from the top or through the 6" square holes.
cheap alternative to ring feeders and never rusts. Cost about £20 to £30 search ebay or preloved.

muff747

Visit site
another vote for the stone delivery crates.
Take a look at my album with pics of the one I used to have. I made it a luxury one with a little roof and wind break round three sides - probably only suitable for one horse paddocks. My boy loved it in winter, he could stick his head in and eat hay and his feet bucket was in there too and in summer he stuck his head in to get away from the flies.