Any of you lot use a calmer?

Auslander

Visit site
I am 3 weeks into a 12 week walking in straight lines programme (yawn) and have had to move Alf to a new yard. He has gone a bit doo-lally, and our 20 minute walk this morning was a little interesting, to say the least. We had piaffe/passage/cantering on the spot (with accompanying stalliony noises), a few airs above the ground, much waving of front feet and snaking of neck - and came back in a muck sweat. He doesn't go anywhere -it's all posturing, carried out in self imposed rollkur, and I secretly rather enjoy it, but as he is in rehab from pretty serious suspensory issues, I could do with keeping his feet on the ground. Usually, I would kick on and trot/canter until he settled down and shut up, but that isn't an option at this point. He HAS to walk, and he has to walk sensibly! He's on virtually no hard feed, and lives out 24/7 on adequate grazing at the moment, so can't cut his feed back, or increase his workload.

Only thing I can think of is to try a calmer for a few weeks until he shuts up - but I've not come across one that really works before. Any thoughts?

Nicnac

Visit site
Magic works for my stressy TB. I buy the 3 syringes as they are usually discounted rather than the powder.

They may be stronger as 'instant' but I only use occasionally.

The other thing you can do is sprinkle lavender/chamomile oil on your grooming brushes and dried chamomile flowers in his feed if you want to be natural.

Auslander

Visit site
Magic works for my stressy TB. I buy the 3 syringes as they are usually discounted rather than the powder.

They may be stronger as 'instant' but I only use occasionally.

The other thing you can do is sprinkle lavender/chamomile oil on your grooming brushes and dried chamomile flowers in his feed if you want to be natural.

It's definitely stressy, rather than full of the joys, with an element of riggy! Will give Magic a go.

I tried the herbal route last time he went like this. He smelt nice, but was still a wally!

ChestnutMonty

Visit site
Ask your vets for ACP, thats what i used after 6months box rest. However i now have a kwpn youngster and have tried magic, magnitude with no results. A lot of horses are worse on magnesium. So i tried Equifeasts cool, calm and collected (mag free) - based on calcium instead - and he was a different horse in days. Highly recommended. Good luck :)

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Just to check you haven't been as foolish as me and put your box/paddock rested horse on any supplements or balancers? Made mine crazy.

Would he be any calmer on a long rein if that's possible. I'm yet again rehabbing mine in walk, and on weds he was much like yours, some very impressive airs, but as the vet has banned me from hill work (it's a steep hill) the only way I can go is on a busier road, so his antics aren't appreciated. This morning I longreined for 20 mins with my sister riding hers as a nanny horse, it worked well. I'm hoping a few more of those, either with someone on horseback or on foot and I might trust him a bit more to go it alone. I have to work up to an hours in hand walk in 3 weeks, I'm going to be fit!

I'm now considering driving as a career for him, given that every time I try jumping and other work he lames himself :eek:

rebmw

Visit site
I'm another one for cal mag. Big bag from Mole valley farmers £17 ish, lasts forever and has had the same effect as an expensive calmer. I have a greedy horse so he's not bothered that its not a refined product. Definitely taken the edge off him since coming back up from box rest.

Auslander

Visit site
Ask your vets for ACP, thats what i used after 6months box rest. However i now have a kwpn youngster and have tried magic, magnitude with no results. A lot of horses are worse on magnesium. So i tried Equifeasts cool, calm and collected (mag free) - based on calcium instead - and he was a different horse in days. Highly recommended. Good luck :)

I've got Sedalin, but he isnt really nuts enough for me to feel he needs actually doping - hes just a bit woo-hoo!

Just to check you haven't been as foolish as me and put your box/paddock rested horse on any supplements or balancers? Made mine crazy.

Would he be any calmer on a long rein if that's possible. I'm yet again rehabbing mine in walk, and on weds he was much like yours, some very impressive airs, but as the vet has banned me from hill work (it's a steep hill) the only way I can go is on a busier road, so his antics aren't appreciated. This morning I longreined for 20 mins with my sister riding hers as a nanny horse, it worked well. I'm hoping a few more of those, either with someone on horseback or on foot and I might trust him a bit more to go it alone. I have to work up to an hours in hand walk in 3 weeks, I'm going to be fit!

I'm now considering driving as a career for him, given that every time I try jumping and other work he lames himself :eek:

They sound like they were separated at birth! I did have him on a long rein - but he curls himself up into a little rubber ball of energy, and boings away, no matter what length the reins are! I think he'd be better with a buddy, but no-one seems to hack from the yard. They go to Windsor Great Park, and there's no way on earth I could do that and live! He's having virtually no hard feed - just enough Safe and Sound to mix his vit/min supp (which he's always been on) and glucosamine into.

Re the Mag - I doubt he is mag deficient, as the vit/min supplement has the recommended daily amounts of everything in it.

I've got some valerian, so may give that a whirl. I'm pretty sure the behaviour is related to anxiety about leaving his harem behind - he isn't a rig, but he is a bit of a ladies man. Good as gold with his girls, but won't have geldings in the same field f he has a mare with him, and gets hysterical about being separated from the girls. He's not even in with mares at the moment - but they are over the fence, and he is in lerrrvve...

TarrSteps

Visit site
I'll be honest, I'm not convinced by the "nutracetical" calmers that depend on the horse having imbalances/deficiencies, for situations where it's perfectly understandable why the horse is wired. In many of the cases I see it's a matter of safety and necessity to keep the horse level so I don't mess around. ;) I've had good luck feeding valerian as a daily supplement and then Sedalin/acp if there is a particular issue (box bound horse having x-rays or similar) at a lower dose. You could also talk to your vet about Zylkene - expensive but lots of good feedback and something to look at if you only need something short term.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Valerian is good I think, I might use that in a couple of weeks when I'm meant to be getting back on for 'walk' work. Being a banned substance it must be good, plus I'll be 27 weeks pregnant by then and want to get on the donkey version of my horse, and not the 'I'm half Spanish dontcha know' half :rolleyes: if its hot I'll be riding at midday too to maximise the donkeyness!

Auslander

Visit site
I'll be honest, I'm not convinced by the "nutracetical" calmers that depend on the horse having imbalances/deficiencies, for situations where it's perfectly understandable why the horse is wired. In many of the cases I see it's a matter of safety and necessity to keep the horse level so I don't mess around. ;) I've had good luck feeding valerian as a daily supplement and then Sedalin/acp if there is a particular issue (box bound horse having x-rays or similar) at a lower dose. You could also talk to your vet about Zylkene - expensive but lots of good feedback and something to look at if you only need something short term.

I'm totally with you on the nutraceutical calmers. I remain unconvinced that you can shovel a certain mineral down a horses throat and find that it miraculously becomes sensible about a stressful activity. In Alfs case, its all tied up with his attachment to his girls - as far as he's concerned, he needs to be there to make sure they aren't being hit on by other fellas. I gave him a dose of valerian tonight, and will keep using it to see if it helps. He's not dangerous - just tense and stressy when he can't see the mares.

Sedalin is a permanent fixture in my first aid kit for any f his known flash-points. Despite being 17.1 and built like a brick outhouse, he's VERY susceptible to it, prob due to his Shire blood. One notch is enough to put him out for hours - bless him!

TarrSteps

Visit site
I'm totally with you on the nutraceutical calmers. I remain unconvinced that you can shovel a certain mineral down a horses throat and find that it miraculously becomes sensible about a stressful activity. In Alfs case, its all tied up with his attachment to his girls - as far as he's concerned, he needs to be there to make sure they aren't being hit on by other fellas. I gave him a dose of valerian tonight, and will keep using it to see if it helps. He's not dangerous - just tense and stressy when he can't see the mares.

Sedalin is a permanent fixture in my first aid kit for any f his known flash-points. Despite being 17.1 and built like a brick outhouse, he's VERY susceptible to it, prob due to his Shire blood. One notch is enough to put him out for hours - bless him!

I have one that is similarly sensitive and can be almost dangerous on an "appropriate" dose due to loss of coordination (and sense). I found when he was doing rehab having the valerian every day meant I could use a much lower dose when necessary and get a more moderated effect.

I've spent the last 6 weeks experimenting with dog sedation and again, have found the "right" mix does the job better than a single product.

Auslander

Visit site
I think I might be a valerian convert! He had some last night, and again this morning, and was his usual laid back self to hack this afternoon. Still spooky, but that's normal, and he was interested in everything going on around him, but not the hysterical mess he was yesterday.

He then threw himself on the floor as I walked him through the school on his way out to the field - had a huge rolling session, then got up and bounced around like a spring lamb - so obviously not feeling drugged, just happy and relaxed!

telerimist

Visit site
Magnitude works great on my mare, but when she's in season she also has chaste tree berries (agnus castus) but not sure if geldings can have it, I may be wrong however!

Auslander

Visit site
Magnitude works great on my mare, but when she's in season she also has chaste tree berries (agnus castus) but not sure if geldings can have it, I may be wrong however!

They can - and I'm considering it if the silliness continues! He is now out with a little pony mare, who he likes, but doesn't fancy the pants off. Ideal scenario, as he wasn't bothered about coming in and leaving her, but having company has taken his mind off the one he is besotted with (who is now in another field)! I think this has probably contributed to his improved behaviour as well!

TarrSteps

Visit site
Yes, it is. Because it works. If you recall, quite a famous showjumper was done for it not long back and used the 'but it's a plant' defence. Unsuccessfully I might add.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
Have you tried dropping the carrots? Serious point there. When Cam, who as you know is virtually horizontal, was a bit full of himself last Autumn, it was around the time I had given in and let him have a carrot a day. Also I know you worry about Alf's weight (actually both ways because he seems to lose/gain it quite quickly), but now that Raffy is on no hard feed at all he is much much less stressy. And I was only feeding high fibre stuff, but I do wonder whether it was the alfalfa in it that had an effect. I'm no expert, but just sharing my experiences. :) x

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I can recommend simple systems lucie bricks if you want to give him a long lasting tasty treat instead of carrots. Picked some up at Bramham, and mine munches one overnight (well half, I split it cos I'm tight!) it's basically Lucerne compressed into a hard brick, keeps them amused and grazing, without the added zingy sugars of carrots :)

Auslander

Visit site
I know valerian isn't competition legal, but I'm not bothered, as he won't be seeing a dressage arena any time soon.

Good point re the carrots - and I am being slightly less generous with them! He's on virtually no hard feed, so I don't think its a case of too much food and not enough work - he's just getting himself all overwrought about his harem. Hopefully, the swap round will help, and today was situation normal resuming!

He loves Lucie bricks, but mainly as a toy. He pounces on them and smashes them to bits, then blows the dust everywhere!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I know valerian isn't competition legal, but I'm not bothered, as he won't be seeing a dressage arena any time soon.

Good point re the carrots - and I am being slightly less generous with them! He's on virtually no hard feed, so I don't think its a case of too much food and not enough work - he's just getting himself all overwrought about his harem. Hopefully, the swap round will help, and today was situation normal resuming!

He loves Lucie bricks, but mainly as a toy. He pounces on them and smashes them to bits, then blows the dust everywhere!

Try, if you can bear it, to cut out the carrots even for a few days and maybe use a treat ball with some nuts in it? And Raff was literally getting a scoop overall of hard feed, but I really think it's the alfalfa for him, so just have a look at the ingredients not necessarily the quantity. Cam gets really cross if I give him one of those blocks and smashes it to pieces. :eek::p

ldlp111

Visit site

Sorry was more asking for me as looking for a calmer for my mare but we do alot of competitions :eek:

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
Mine is quite gentle with them, he's not even bothered by its gone by morning so he must like it, unless the rats finish it :eek:

Auslander

Visit site
Try, if you can bear it, to cut out the carrots even for a few days and maybe use a treat ball with some nuts in it? And Raff was literally getting a scoop overall of hard feed, but I really think it's the alfalfa for him, so just have a look at the ingredients not necessarily the quantity. Cam gets really cross if I give him one of those blocks and smashes it to pieces. :eek::p

I'm using polos at the moment (sugar free ones as well!!).
Poor half starved horse is getting 1/4 a scoop of Safe and Sound, purely so I can get glucosamine down him.

I'm almost certain its a separation anxiety thing - he doesn't feel 'hot', just super stressy about being taken away from his girl. Starts calling and flinging himself around as soon as I get him onto the yard, and doesn't stop til he gets back out. Hopefully hes over it now, as he was fine today - the ony shouting he did was when I walked into the tack room and he couldn't see me!!

nikicb

www.facebook.com
I'm using polos at the moment (sugar free ones as well!!).
Poor half starved horse is getting 1/4 a scoop of Safe and Sound, purely so I can get glucosamine down him.

I'm almost certain its a separation anxiety thing - he doesn't feel 'hot', just super stressy about being taken away from his girl. Starts calling and flinging himself around as soon as I get him onto the yard, and doesn't stop til he gets back out. Hopefully hes over it now, as he was fine today - the ony shouting he did was when I walked into the tack room and he couldn't see me!!

Well he's been through a few changes recently, as have you which probably doesn't add to the equation, so probably not surprising. I'm sure he will settle soon. Poor Mr A. :(

Auslander

Visit site
Well he's been through a few changes recently, as have you which probably doesn't add to the equation, so probably not surprising. I'm sure he will settle soon. Poor Mr A. :(

I do feel a bit sorry for him - he was so happy at the last yard, with the love of his life. Hopefully, we will go back there in September, and everything will be back to normal!

Armas

Visit site
I do feel a bit sorry for him - he was so happy at the last yard, with the love of his life. Hopefully, we will go back there in September, and everything will be back to normal!

Stay where you are move forward not back x