Any one else having trouble with soft feet

fornema

Visit site
Any one else having trouble with soft feet with the wet weather, and being footy on stoney roods. My youngster has the hardest feet imaginable but has still managed to chip them up probably through her recent escapades of learning to field hop and crouch under electric fences to let her self out while the fence is being undone to let her out. My Pony has the softest feet ive ever experienced with her, we went on a 2hr hack and her poor feet are out of balance now and getting the farrier out for her. I dont want to put shoes on if the weather continues as they'll probably remove themselves but dont want to leave them off as we cant really do any road work.

Whats everyone else doing?

Waltzing Matilda

Visit site
I have 2 barefoot horses out 24/7. Not had any probs with feet. U can use Milton.
1 part Milton to 10 parts water. Soak weekly or spray every other day. Will harden frog and sole and fight off any bacteria. X

Louby

Visit site
My boys had 2 abscesses in 3 weeks. He's never had one in the 9 years I've owned him. Blacksmith said he's had lots of clients recently with similar problems and reckons the really wet weather has a lot to do with it.

fornema

Visit site
My boys had 2 abscesses in 3 weeks. He's never had one in the 9 years I've owned him. Blacksmith said he's had lots of clients recently with similar problems and reckons the really wet weather has a lot to do with it.

This is what im worried about as both have very good feet usually and worried about the as they are, hooliing about is not going to help along with both being escape artists who will jump whats in their path to get to grass and generally being ridiculously silly. At this moment in time I feel like wrapping them in cotton wool until this dreadful weather stops.

CathySirett

Visit site
Hi no abcesses so far - -BUT I am taking extra care with where I ride right now -- their field has been soft soft soft so trying ot get them out for some time every day onto the hard standing helps -- but can't wait til the field itself dries out as then it has a whole range of wetness which helps their feet

Cathy

Miss L Toe

Visit site
My Pony has the softest feet ive ever experienced with her, we went on a 2hr hack and her poor feet are out of balance now and getting the farrier out for her. I dont want to put shoes on if the weather continues as they'll probably remove themselves but dont want to leave them off as we cant really do any road work.

Whats everyone else doing?
I suppose boots are the answer, try Cavello.

fornema

Visit site
Hmm she is not a fan of anything that surrounds her feet be it sand, mud whatever she will try her damned best to make sure her feet only just have to touch it/ will jump patches of mud, so I dont know what her reaction would be other than to get them. Its jusst so irritating as these two have such hardy feet usually and the rain is just got to the point of ridiculous

MissChaos

Visit site
Mine has brilliant feet but has had a couple of chips in the last week or so. Farrier not worried and said can expect some small ones ATM; just look a bit pants! Just keeping an eye out.

amy86

Visit site
im having massive problems with my yearling, shes has foot abscesses in 3 of her feet at once! i put her on complete box rest for 3 weeks to let them heal and shes now turned out again now. im using a foot supplement and keratex to harden them up and it seems to be working