Any one got any experience of a horse with a twist pelvis?

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
Yep, my horse did/has.

Didnt have any real symptoms, but you could see that he walked quite unlevel behind.

Had 2 chiropractor visits within 6 weeks and then a week of gradual increase in work load and he's right as rain now :)

Brambridge04

Visit site
Was he just unlevel to look at, or did he have any "naughtiness" when ridden?

One of my friends mares had a twisted pelvis, and she used to rear, buck, spin, toss head until it was diagnosed.....

Brambridge04

Visit site
Well i have been backing my mare, but had a few issues with moving with rider, she has had back checked but ive heard some dodgy stuff, so asked vet for second opinion, and we have a physio coming monday, as she thinks she may have a twisted pelvis, causing SOME not all, of the issues.

ForeverBroke_

Visit site
Well, I would say that he reared/napped - but he still does that now!

Possibly related though, each time the chiro comes out its the pelvis that needs a tweak so I wouldn't be suprised.

Brambridge04

Visit site
Thanks, im using a lady who has come recommended by people i trust, and 3 vets i rang round, so fingers crossed if there is an issue she can fix it, if not i know for sure its just training, but from what i answered her 50 millions questions and vets million questions with they both think it could be twisted pelvis from having had foal mid last year......

soulfull

Visit site
my old horse used to have this problem he would buck, refuse to go forward.

it was something that took 2 yrs overall to get right as chiro would put it right then he would mess around and undo it, however once he was muscled enough to hold it it never happened again

Also really could not canter on the one diagonal until put right and dragged one hind leg

Cuppatea

www.facebook.com
How much did u pay for correcting it?

pysio/chiro usually cost £40-50 per session, may need a couple to start with then regular checks 3-6 month apart to make sure its not going out again

was there a recovery period? if so how long?

it really depends on the severity of the 'twist' and how fit and muscular he is. The more muscular he is, the longer it will take as the muscles are holding the pelvis in a wrong position and when it is put right, the muscles will pull it back. Its better and easier to fix on an unfit horse so that it stays in the correct position and the muscles develop around it to keep it in place.

Sometimes you can have one treatement and thats it - fixed, other times it can take a couple of months for it to stay put...