Any other horses losing winter coat?

Janah

Visit site
My boy is losing his winter coat, in handfuls!

He started losing his coat in Dec last year. I have no idea why he should be doing so, so early.

He is unclipped, in at night with a fleece on, and out in the day with a summer turnout, he never seems to be cold. He is a Highland x TB.

Would like to know if any other horses are losing theirs yet.

Jane

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
not loosing per se, as the 2 big boys are fully clipped but my 4yo is starting to get a summer coat on his neck and back!!!

i doubt im going to have to clip again, and expect him to be fully in his summer best by end feb.

Enfys

Visit site
Some of mine have only just begun to really get theirs! They'd be nuts to lose it as right now it is -13C and it is only 12.30pm. It isn't likely to get much warmer for a few weeks yet.

Kat1e

Visit site
Yes, just noticed today that the unclipped and unrugged one is losing rather a lot of hair! Has never been this early before.

DuckToller

Visit site
Yes! One of mine started a few days ago. It is now coming out in clumps, when he rolled in the school there was a thick white carpet of hair all over the place and we are using a rubber curry comb to groom him. Could fill up a bucket with the hair that's coming out.

He did this last year too and I was going to post to see if he was the first this winter, but you beat me to it! He is a 9 yr old connie x cob type, so no particular reason as to why. However I do recall that the daylight length affects them as much as the temperature, so I guess ours are very sensitive to the miniscule extra daylight we are now getting since December 22nd
grin.gif

PucciNPoni

Visit site
My mare is starting to moult, too...but this is the first time she's been unclipped since I got her so wasn't sure if that was maybe natural for her being unclipped.

tiggerette

Visit site
yes mine is - he always starts to around Christmas time. The moulting is controlled by the hours of daylight and now we have gone passed the shortest day the days are getting longer (I have def noticed it is staying lighter longer) He normally is the first horse on my yard to start getting his winter coat through too, normally around the middle of August!

Pep12

Visit site
Yes we have started moulting too. Always starts once the shortest day is past. He is same breeding as yours!!
Mind you he grows his winter coat in August too!!

_HP_

Visit site
Quite normal...its because the days are getting longer ie more daylight hours(well minutes atm!)
smile.gif

MochaDun

Visit site
Yes mine always starts just about Christmas. Only odd hairs at the moment but know it's underway. I was always told the change in the light is what kicks off the coat change so as we're just past the shortest day of 21st Dec I guess that may be it. And also get my winter coat starting to grow from August too!