Any owners of Dales out there?

YasandCrystal

Visit site
I have just bought a 2 year old Dales gelding, whom I want to show in hand and eventually have as my ridden pony. I have ordered a white web halter to show him in. Any tips/advice on showing a Dales gratefully received.
He's already 14.2hh approx - the seller said he is unlikely to grow anymore and that the Lowhouses Dales always end up at this height. I hope he is right :)

Here is Jonjo he's still very hairy!!:-

IMAG0727.jpg

IMAG0746.jpg

hayinamanger

Visit site
Not much help re showing, but just wanted to say that your boy is really nice, you'll never regret having a Dales. I had a lovely Dales mare and showed her in M&M ridden. I have her ISH x foal still, he's now 8, he has her great temperament. Plain, workman-like tack is best on them imo, but it's really difficult to find a hunter in-hand bridle, the best example I've seen is on Theresa F's Gypsy cob, Stinky.

Have fun with him :)

RULEMI

Visit site
Hi

He is very gorgeous. I found the Dales website a good place to check out. I e mailed them and got all my questions answered really helpful.

Have fun looking for a Dales of my own hope to find one as nice as yours.

hogged cob

Visit site
My Boy is a Dales X, he is fab, fantastic temperment (untill you try to clip his legs!) I have hunted him, we do pleasure rides, he has won a dressage comp, he hacks out on his own, just perfect. You will have lots of fun. His only vice is he is pure white and loves using his poop as a pillow:eek:

be positive

Visit site
I had a Dales, he came to be broken as a just gelded 31/2 year old, he had been running with mares for 2 years, he looked wild as he came out of the trailer and I thought :eek: what have I taken on. Despite first impressions he was the easiest I have ever broken, he did not lunge but long reined for a couple of days, got on him and within a week he was out hacking alone, bombproof in traffic from day one.

About 8 months later his owners decided to sell, so I bought him, he was fab, enjoyed life did everything with a smile on his face and never said no to anything.

I sold him to someone that saw him in the field and fell for him, she quickly sold her own horse so she could buy him, he was not for sale at the time, he is now hunting regularly and doing RC activities in a home for life.

Probably the best pony I have ever had, would have another if one came along, you are sure to enjoy yours, he looks very similar to mine with the small white star, keep him completely untrimmed and be careful when rugging that you dont lose the mane and the feathers can go in winter if it gets very wet.

immoralorchid

Visit site
Yay for dales ponies they are fab

here are some vids of my girl

[YOUTUBE]aQyItyH4bm4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]uJzPo98NDC8&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/YOUTUBE]

as for tips if you have a pair of scissors throw them away unless your very good with them i tend to get away with a slight bead trim and trimming the hair on the back of her hocks to show they arn't capped. the white halter is correct for inhand younstock and mares although its normally such a rush for me i just use my bridle.

for natives it is always tweed and i would wear light coloured trousers to contrast with your ponies legs and practice your sprinting to show off that fab dales pony trot (i used to get teased that i should have worn running shoes)

dont over do make up on your ponies face but a little bit of highlighter does help lift and the bigger/ fluffier you can make there mane/ tail/ forelock the better it seems to really catch the judges eye

good luck and let us know how you get on xxxxx

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Ah thanks everyone - I was hoping I would get loads of positive 'Dales' stories. I wanted something hardy, a pony size (for fun) that could be a great alrounder. Dales do not come up often in Essex or the East Anglia area, so it was a bit of an impulse buy when he came up. The owner had brought him down to Norfolk from the Scottish borders as a weanling.

I really like Fells too having ridden one when I was alot younger belonging to a friend. I have had fiery Welsh Sec Ds years ago, but I wanted something with a tad less fire in their belly now :)

Thanks for the website Shysmum I shall go on it and bookmark it! :)

immoralorchid

Visit site
ooh one other thing its a bit old fashioned but to help tell a dales from welsh and fells the dales pony has a ribbon in its tail when showing it can be any colour but i tend to use the red whit and blue traditional. u just take a small tuft at the top and make a small plait turn it up and tuck through the loose hair at the top with makes a bobble then tie you ribbons on. experiment with different lengths to find out what works for your boy

YasandCrystal

Visit site
Yay for dales ponies they are fab

here are some vids of my girl

[YOUTUBE]aQyItyH4bm4[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]uJzPo98NDC8&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/YOUTUBE]

as for tips if you have a pair of scissors throw them away unless your very good with them i tend to get away with a slight bead trim and trimming the hair on the back of her hocks to show they arn't capped. the white halter is correct for inhand younstock and mares although its normally such a rush for me i just use my bridle.

for natives it is always tweed and i would wear light coloured trousers to contrast with your ponies legs and practice your sprinting to show off that fab dales pony trot (i used to get teased that i should have worn running shoes)

dont over do make up on your ponies face but a little bit of highlighter does help lift and the bigger/ fluffier you can make there mane/ tail/ forelock the better it seems to really catch the judges eye

good luck and let us know how you get on xxxxx

I remember this video with your tears of joy at winning and your tribute to your lovely sharer!! It's probably down to you I fancied a Dales :) Bronte is stunning, what a great job you have done with her :)

YasandCrystal

Visit site
ooh one other thing its a bit old fashioned but to help tell a dales from welsh and fells the dales pony has a ribbon in its tail when showing it can be any colour but i tend to use the red whit and blue traditional. u just take a small tuft at the top and make a small plait turn it up and tuck through the loose hair at the top with makes a bobble then tie you ribbons on. experiment with different lengths to find out what works for your boy

thanks for that tip - I would not have know that :)

Shysmum

www.youtube.com
they are really friendly on that forum - if you go on the newbie section and say hi, you'll meet dales owners in your area more than likely :)

c2b

Visit site
Another Dales owner here. I have a Dartdale mare.
I too recommend the dalesfans forum.